Pocketsnes V5 Released

Uh, BUG BUG BUG:

The Emulator dont find any of my roms and I know why:
PocketSNES dont see various special letters as "space" or " _" or such things in Rom names and it dont see ".SMC" (upper case sensitive ;)
I had to rename nerarly any Rom and of course any state-files....not good.... ^^""""

Oh and is this a Bug in Squidgesnes? The Emulator shows me constant 50/50 FPS in Chaos Engine at 200MHz.
ChaosEngine (renamed ;) ) in Pocketsnes semms slower, only ~30 fps and always changing. (same settings, no transp. etc. )
is Squidgesnes really that much faster?

wow !

you released it much more early than i supposed you would, given your last posts.
congratulations !

by the way, does paypal still block emulators related donations ?

fusion_power posted on Feb 3 2007 at 11:28 PM said:
Uh at BUG BUG BUG:

The Emulator dont find any of my roms and I know why:
PocketSNES dont see various special letters as "space" or " _" or such things in Rom names and it dont see ".SMC" (upper case sensitive ;)
I had to rename nerarly any Rom and of course any state-files....not good.... ^^""""

Oh and is this a Bug in Squidgesnes? The Emulator shows me constant 50/50 FPS in Chaos Engine at 200MHz.
ChaosEngine (renamed ;) ) in Pocketsnes semms slower, only ~30 fps and always changing. (same settings, no transp. etc. )
is Squidgesnes really that much faster?

SquidgeSnes is much faster but it does not fully support transparencys and has troubles playing some mode 7 games. So its best to use SquidgeSnes for some games and PocketSnes for others. At some point I will improve the rendering speeds in PocketSnes, hopefully I'll be able to get it running as fast as SquidgeSnes.

@baalim: I've had a couple of donations via Paypal with no problems. I think it depends how you go about it. If you do it from a particular website Paypal might catch wind of it.

I don't have any problems with special characters in rom names, its strange that you are having problems. Could you give some examples? I'll rename some files to match to see if I can replicate the problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ugh. I just finished up adding to the Wiki. :wacko:

Some incompatible games: (at least for me)

Final Fantasy III (U)
Fire Emblem 4 (J)
Mega Man X2 (U)
Kirby's Dreamland 3 (U) (you hear a noise, and the emulation just stops.)
Super Mario RPG (U)

I'm guessing that in the case of Kirby and Super Mario RPG, that it's the SA-1 emulation. But, Final Fantasy III and Mega Man X2 worked fine in Squidge. What exactly did you take out of PocketSNES, more than just the renderer? It seems that the PPU is malfunctioning... But, I should just shut up, as I know nothing about emulation. :p

EDIT: Again, great work Reesy!

Mega Man X2 uses the C4 chip.
FF3 is working for me.
Fire Emblem 4 won't work for me in either PocketSNES or SquidgeSNES, but does run (slowly) in NKSNES.

I've found out a workaround for the missing roms on install.

Browse to your snes roms directory.
While in it, select the "Back to main menu" option
Go into the SNES options and choose "Save current rom directory"
Restart and the roms should show up.

Hope this helps.

-Kensupen

rememberthe8bit posted on Feb 4 2007 at 08:34 AM said:
F-Zero at 25fps with sound! (albeit at low quality)
I only get 17-19 fps at 260MHz (transparencies off).

Oh cool. Load global settings, etc. work now. :)

imhotep posted on Feb 4 2007 at 03:11 AM said:
rememberthe8bit posted on Feb 4 2007 at 08:34 AM said:
F-Zero at 25fps with sound! (albeit at low quality)
I only get 17-19 fps at 260MHz (transparencies off).
Maybe he can OC more than you or he sets the sound at 8000 hz and you at 22khz or 44khz.
Maybe oyu use PAL version and he uses NTSC version.
There are a lot of variables.

Rivroner posted on Feb 4 2007 at 01:21 PM said:
Going below 16500Hz doesn't seem to help speed (and it sounds terrible). I was using NTSC rom (faster than PAL), so maybe he can overclock a lot higher than me.

I put the brightness to 150 and now its perfect...

Awesomeness!!!

thanks

Shadow666

imhotep posted on Feb 4 2007 at 03:26 AM said:
Going below 16500Hz doesn't seem to help speed (and it sounds terrible). I was using NTSC rom (faster than PAL), so maybe he can overclock a lot higher than me.
Thast´s right.

GunPei2X posted on Feb 3 2007 at 09:23 PM said:
Make sue RAM Timings=Craig and MMU Hack=On.

What exactly do those do for the emu?

The RAM Timings = CRAIG is a go-faster mode.
I get a good increase in FPS as a result of setting this.

My beloved "Macross Scrambled Valkyrie" with "transperancy on" goes nicely now... even at 240Mhz. Highly playable!

Thanks Reesy!

Great job reesy and everyone involved! :D

purple_goat posted on Feb 3 2007 at 06:29 PM said:
HOORAY!! :wub:

is it possible make any emu have you cool menu (easily)? if so gngeo and rage2x don't cut it...

Your n00bness doesnt cut it...

Rivroner posted on Feb 3 2007 at 09:31 PM said:
imhotep posted on Feb 4 2007 at 03:26 AM said:
Thast´s right.

Oh, really? Good. Because I was getting sick of the 8khz sound quality, nice to know. :D Thanks, imhotep.

Good good good, i can play Donkey Kong COuntry well with transparencies...

But, what about NTSC and PAL. You blamed that it would be delayed cause of that...

Did you forgot or is it more complicated than you though?

Cheers!

Reesy posted on Feb 4 2007 at 01:47 AM said:
I don't have any problems with special characters in rom names, its strange that you are having problems. Could you give some examples? I'll rename some files to match to see if I can replicate the problem.
After more and deeper investigation, it seems, that the ROM-names not the problem. Somehow, PocketSNES dont find the roms in the ROM-directory of SquidgeSNES. When I copy the roms in the root of your Emulator, he detects them. Of course I dont want to use more than one ROM-directory or various copies of my roms in different directories.
my folders:
SD/emulators/squidgesnes/roms <---this directory with my snes roms is shown empty in the pocketSNES-Rom selector
SD/emulators/PocketSNES <----when I copy the same roms here, pocketSNES shows me the roms

Yoshi's Island works great at 260, no sound, frameskip 3. The only issues with it is that sometimes when you get a coin or when you hit a balloon which makes certain stuff happen the graphics glitch up in that spot. I think with just a little bit of work these graphical issues could be taken care of. Also when I try to set the emulator to frameskip 0 all I get is a black screen. Anyone else having these similar problems?

Back