Pocketsnes V7.0

Why not add something like a filter renderer to improve the quality in scaled mod?
Because in fullscreen most game are awful!

b1ueskycomp1ex said:
Hey. What do you guys think of me doing a Pocketsnes V7.0 Compatibility list, like with the PCSX list? The games are a lot easier to test, and the only thing that really needs to be listed is the default values and what games run like at 533, 700, and 800Mhz

The mojority of games run fine at the default 540mhz (may need a slight overclock if you can be bothered for games that use transparencies). PAL games run better as they're 50fps instead of 60fps, and most of them also run fine from the 'fast' mode. I think it would be a waste of time as there are a LOT of SNES games. Maybe a list of just the troublesome games (which are only a few).

PS. I thought your Wiz died ? How would you even begin ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Azerty16 said:
Why not add something like a filter renderer to improve the quality in scaled mod?
Because in fullscreen most game are awful!

Have you tried the horizontal scaling option? It seems to work fairly well with only small black bars on the top and bottom of the screen, and it doesn't give you that really pixelated and shimmery effect of playing stretched in both directions.

emjay said:
b1ueskycomp1ex said:
Hey. What do you guys think of me doing a Pocketsnes V7.0 Compatibility list, like with the PCSX list? The games are a lot easier to test, and the only thing that really needs to be listed is the default values and what games run like at 533, 700, and 800Mhz

The mojority of games run fine at the default 540mhz (may need a slight overclock if you can be bothered for games that use transparencies). PAL games run better as they're 50fps instead of 60fps, and most of them also run fine from the 'fast' mode. I think it would be a waste of time as there are a LOT of SNES games. Maybe a list of just the troublesome games (which are only a few).

PS. I thought your Wiz died ? How would you even begin ?

I can still create, manage and maintain a list for Pocketsnes on the wiz without actually contributing any data. For example, only about 15 entries on the PCSX list were mine because my screen failure made it impossible to get a good readout of the FPS I was getting after testing a few games. The rest has been the rest of the community submitting reports. I don't see why an open PocketSNES compatibility list shouldn't be made aside from that fact that GPH isn't producing the Wiz Anymore. In fact I don't see why lists for all the emulators can't be made, really. It would just be a matter of maintaining and managing them all.

As I said before, it would be pointless as the mojority of games work fine at default settings. There are only a few that need tweaks. On PCSX hardly anything works without tweaking (if at all and there is a lot of settings combinations) so the list is useful. There are still some games on Picodrive that have graphic glitches/don't work but a compatibility list isn't needed. Same goes for GPFCE.

I really don't understand why a newer version of the emulator renders some games unplayable, at least games that used to work fine in the old version. It's like it's going backwards instead of getting better. Why does this happen? Wouldn't it be logical that since it's an update, it would fix playability of old games, let alone render some previously unplayable games playable?

GeorgyPorgy said:
I really don't understand why a newer version of the emulator renders some games unplayable, at least games that used to work fine in the old version. It's like it's going backwards instead of getting better. Why does this happen? Wouldn't it be logical that since it's an update, it would fix playability of old games, let alone render some previously unplayable games playable?

There's usually some regression in new software. When you fix one thing, something else might break in the process.

b1ueskycomp1ex said:
There's usually some regression in new software. When you fix one thing, something else might break in the process.

Regressions suck, and it seems to especially be an issue here since Pocketsnes doesn't appear to update often at all.
The prior release was 6.5, last year I believe? 7.0 was a huge change, but I don't like the idea of having to wait a long time for important or critical game fixes.

RupeeClock said:
b1ueskycomp1ex said:

Regressions suck, and it seems to especially be an issue here since Pocketsnes doesn't appear to update often at all.
The prior release was 6.5, last year I believe? 7.0 was a huge change, but I don't like the idea of having to wait a long time for important or critical game fixes.

Well, in the mean time you can always add 6.5 in there and use it with the games that are broken in 7.0, with seperate rom folders.

b1ueskycomp1ex said:
RupeeClock said:
b1ueskycomp1ex said:

Well, in the mean time you can always add 6.5 in there and use it with the games that are broken in 7.0, with seperate rom folders.

Regarding the regression in the sound with Final Fantasy III, it appears that the sound was fine in version v6 on the below page for the GP2X, and the regression occurred after that version:

http://reesy.gp32x.de/DrPocketSnes.html

I'm not sure how much has changed in that area, but it might provide a clue to how to get back to working sound for that game and possibly others.

I think the most frustrating thing about these regressions is that people keep releasing binary only versions of the software without releasing the source code. Whoever you are, please include the source code when you release a new version! Does anyone know where the source code for V7.0 went? I didn't think it would be this hard to track down since it was an entry for a coding competition.

Is it just me, or does this emu still have a lot of diagonal tearing in it? I was playing some Lost Vikings and DK Country 3 the other day and the tearing was very prevalent, even in this new version of the emu.

What about Pilotwings? Strange how games that use heavy scaling like F-Zero run at 100%, then Pilotwings is unplayable. Both use Mode 7, and it's strange that only F-Zero is playable.

I haven't yet adjusted any options in the emu menu to see if it's even possible to play Pilotwings on my Wiz.

Has anyone tried Pilotwings with success? Any ideas? Thanks.

Pilotwings works with turning scaling and transparency off, and setting a hard frameskip (I use with 3). It's still far from perfect, but playable (with quite low FPS)

call me "duh" but i dont see a download link anywhere? :( Is it worth the upgrade from 6.5 to 7.0?

Is there any way to be able to use the A, X buttons instead of the Y,B ones? I dont see an option to configure the buttons in the snes emu.

At the moment you'll have to download it from here: http://lostsite.altervista.org/wiz/?p=2033 along with PCSX4ALL, WS4ALL & GINGE (There's a newer version of GINGE on the archive)
Hopefully the others will be put seperately on the archive soon (along with the games from the compo)

Cheers, Neil

Edit: The archive has now been updated to v. 7.1.0 (Here: http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/wiz.cgi?0,0,0,0,71,479 ) :)

Brilliant update! Super Metroid runs perfectly with transparencies on and the cpu set to 540. Also, Clock Tower and The Firemen work in fast mode (fast executable.)

Someone mentioned SRAM saving. In the readme, it mentions that to save SRAM you Must exit the game (when you've finished playing) to the menu by pressing the two volume buttons. SRAM will not be saved if you simply turn off the Wiz.

Make sure Auotmatic saving is turned on in the options though.

Does anyone know if this emulator will be able to load the .srm files from SNEs9x or ZSNES? I'm playing Seiken Densetsu 3 on my computer and my WIZ is coming in the mail hopefully tomorrow. I would also like to know if ZSNES state saves would work too, I think the file extension is different (.zst for ZSNES and .000 for Snes9x) but maybe it will work with a simple file name change?

I just noticed on NewsWeez that a new version (v.7.0.1) is out: http://lostsite.altervista.org/wiz/?p=2280
We always seem to be a step behind gp32spain for news.
Could this be uploaded to the archive?

Cheers, Neil

Back