Polish Your Gp2x?

DBH

Website
nicholas.piresonline.com
Ok this is random/sad/wtf but other day I noticed I had a dodgy scratch on the front facia of my GP2X it looked like the typical oil / finger mark shiney stains that the black material is used to showing up but it was shiney. So i tried rubbing the thing out but it wouldn't go away.

This annoyed me as I like to keep my things looking new and perfect and when playing with the device under a lamp that stupid scratch became more apparent. I had read from other places that toothpaste can help get rid of scratchs etc on LCD screen (think it was random PSP people) so thought id give it a little go on that area. It worked! but then I realised all i did was make the area I rubbed shiney compared to the rest of the facia and then thought argh pants I've f00ked it up lol.

To cut a long story short to even it up I ended up polishing the front of my facia using those anti-static multipurpose wipes (and occasionally some cotton balls) with a little bit of toothpaste spready thin over the wipe (colgate :D) and with a little elbow grease got the whole of the facia to match. The difference is the front isnt matt as compared to the back but is now matching with the lower plastic area of the GP2X that holds the battery and power status LED.

Actually looks pretty decent! and It didnt even rub out the GP2X logo which was even better! made alot of the wipes black though lol.

I know alot of you probably wouldn't care about a few minor scratches blah blah etc but thought that this would be a nice aesthetic mod to mention.

Yes ok now back to using the device rather than watching it :unsure: :p

EDIT: I take no responsibility to what damage/harm you do to your GP2X as the toothpaste takes the matt off the facia and cant be put back :p

But doesn't making it shiny show fingerprints like mad? I know it does on the PSP.

Suprisingly no. Its exactly like the lower plastic area and from what I remember it doesnt show the finger prints as much as the matt surface at all. The only annoying thing is to get the whole thing shiney you really have to polish at it and keep checkin it in the light. Would have been easier if I dismantled the thing and took the front off that way I could have buffed it down really quick and the areas around the buttons can be tricky to do properly. It takes some time to do it properly but the result is very nice.

greenmikey posted on Aug 2 2006 at 07:16 PM said:
Obsessive Compulsive anyone?

I was considering that about myself as well :(

The negatives of having nothing to do after graduating and still looking for work lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok heres some proof.

Ive put battery cover next to it as a comparison as the battery cover is the same finish as what the thing originally was.

Sorry for the quality of the pictures I only got a old 2MP camera at my disposal at the moment.

GP2X_shiney_1.jpg

GP2X_shiney_2.jpg

GP2X_shiney_3.jpg

Not overly shiney but still better than what it used to be IMO.

Looks like you did some big button-mashing right after eating 3 bags of McDonalds fries. I mean it looks greasy, not shiny.

I tried it on mine...and after a TON of polishing it does just look greasy...but it's not as bad as it looks in the picture. Once I finish the rest of mine I'll post whether or not I like it :D

hehe I just finished buffing mine up a bit more. Think i left some toothpaste residue on it... Have to say it does look alright though... I guess i just need a better camera ;) As the pics i posted just make it look "greasy" but over the whole facia surface you get the same even shine as on the screen woo :)

Back