Poll: Do You Like Keybord Font.

Do you like Pandora's keyboard font?

• Yes! It's awesome!!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I don't.

• I don't care what font it is!

• I think font "xyz" will be better. (pls post, im wery interested=D)

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
@cosurgi: +1 to no specific national caracters

as for keymat layout, I'd like SHIFT in the bottom left corner and preferably TAB in its place :rolleyes:

back on topic, I'm sure final font will be ok :)

Okay, some things needs some clearing up here:

The MAIN areas where the GP32, gp2x and Pandora have been sold are English speaking Countries, Germany, Spain and Turkey (as there were also the main distributors).

So it just makes sense to include THOSE characters on the keyboard.
There are about 700 preorders from Germany alone and ä, ö and ü will be useful here.

We can't include EVERY special character, but we want to include those, where the Pandora is the most popular. And that's what we did.

EvilDragon said:

The MAIN areas where the GP32, gp2x and Pandora have been sold are English speaking Countries, Germany, Spain and Turkey (as there were also the main distributors).

There are about 700 preorders from Germany alone and ä, ö and ü will be useful here.

We can't include EVERY special character, but we want to include those, where the Pandora is the most popular. And that's what we did.
I'm happy for that mapping, since A-Z+Ä and Ö will be enough for finnish, so Thanks :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, i still think that's a weird decision. So i will have symbols on keys i will NEVER use... Well ok..
I still prefer to have NO special characters (and i'm french..).

But well..

EvilDragon said:

That makes 700/4000 = 18% of people happy
and 82% of people unhappy.

If you replace those ä, ö, ü with AltGr and Compose you will make 98% of people happy (because remaining 2% of people want cyryllic).

I already asked privately, but still didn't get a clear answer. Can I pay extra, by bank transfer, to get a different keyboard layout (let's ignore how expensive it might be)? Let's say that you would give people an option to choose one another layout, or maybe even from two another layouts. Like this one, and that one. After all those are the winning layouts after careful community's design process.

<rant>Why do you ignore the voice of the community? Sorry, I couldn't resist, this is too close to my heart to see it treated so badly by the devs (*me goes crying in the corner)</rant>

EvilDragon said:

Thanks ED :) Good decision.

That makes 700/4000 = 18% of people happy
and 82% of people unhappy.

I don't think so. Other nations need those characters, too. And I don't see, how some small key-printings can make people unhappy :unsure:
And I'm also pretty sure, that there are many more potential second batchers among those over 100 million German speakers.

cosurgi said:
<rant>Why do you ignore the voice of the community? Sorry, I couldn't resist, this is too close to my heart to see it treated so badly by the devs (*me goes crying in the corner)</rant>

Shut up yo whining fool! It's getting tedious.

I like it as it is, but as long is it's futuristic and sans-serif then I guess that would be ok too. Other than that, I don't think it matters that much, as we will learn to touch-type soon enough - right? ;)

mali said:
I had to vote "I don't care what font it is!"
because the "I don't give a shit!"-option was missing :p
+1

Layout - As the Pandora is mainly for developers and geeks, it stands to reason that the keyboard should at least include all the standard programming characters IMO.
As long as these are supported then the rest should be fine with being mappable to characters for different languages per person :)

EDIT: + it needs the @ character for emails of course ;)

just asking... the Ctrl and alt buttons?
Shoulder buttons?

+1 for cosurgi.

Thats coming from a french person too.
Lets make the Pandora as internationnal as possible.

I don't see how useful it is to have ä, ö and ü keys on a primarily gaming orientated device, unless you plan to chat and do homework on it. Did the zx spectrum have them too? :)

Cosurigi's idea of using compose + a etc sounds the best.

as a myopic dyslexic - wow i spelt it first go :) - simple is best . Things like ariel and sans serif are much better than fonts with curly letter strokes and times new roman squiggles that confuse and seem to move from key to key.
cheers

EvilDragon said:

If they are that popular and necessary for others then lets be done with the discussion and this thread since the decision has been made for everyone. Choose a font and lets go home. :)

http://cosurgi.googlepages.com/cosurgi_final.png
seems a nice clean choice.

Also keep in mind that it's just the layout of what's printed on the keys. You should be able to remap them with minimal effort. And in the event that it is not easy to reassign the keys, I will make it my personal project to create some kind of interface to make it so.

Chip said:
The keymat is finalized and the manufacturer is already making up the molds for mass production.
Are they keys made separate from the keymat?

I don't mind those 'extra' characters on the keyboard as long as all ASCII characters are available.

Please use a normal keyboard font like Helvetica or Arial.

I'd like to add another Font to this thread.

It's minimal, Futuristic, Serif but not that much as the Font on the Render.

120x16-kontrapunkt.gif

Kontrapunkt

Would take the bold one, test it out on the Website.

It's a free font, but a prize winning designed one. It's free to use, only not to sell, so no problem with costs to use the font.

And it looks damn sexy, tchnologic and futuristic imho, without looking over the Top.

GPSchnyder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back