Poll Time, Fellas =]

If large third party developers/publishers (Sony, Nintendo, etc.) hopped on board and offered older,

• No, I''''ve been wanting a way to get classic titles like Final Fantasy VII and Super Mario World in

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, only if there was some incentive, like an artbook download or something.

• Yes, it''''s free, dammit. I''''ve no reason to purchase something I already have.

• Yes, I hate big business practices. I do it to spite them.

• I''''m not even going to be using my Pandora for emulated games.

• Depends on the DRM involved.

• lawl, wuts a rom?

• Total voters

Grisaille

Still Fresh
I hate April Fool's day.

In anycase, we all know that large devs would never hop on board for the OP, but we can dream, can't we? I was thinking earlier today...

We know that roms are easy as hell to find and obtain. Sony, Nintendo, Sega, etc. knows also. I figure it would make sense for these guys to set up a digital distribution service that offers an option for gamers looking to play their older titles. If anything, it deters SOME guys from downloading them illegally. At least, that's my thought process, hence the poll.

Would you use the service, or would you say "to hell with it" and continue doing what we always do? Also, what if it was tailored to be used specifically for the Pandora?

I personally would love something to this effect. What do you guys think?

Last edited by a moderator:
(naw)mcx posted on Apr 1 2009 at 01:39 PM said:
It's not going to happen, so I'm not going to vote.

Well, duh.

To answer this, I really need to consider what it is I might be emulating:

GBA games I already own like Golden Sun, etc.
Playstation games I've never owned
SNES games I've never owned

There's only a few Playstation games I'm interested in, but I doubt Sony is going to put the effort into selling a game that I'd only pay maybe $5 for at best.

The SNES is really old, I've never even played one. I'll probably just skip it, since the GBA copied most of its good games.

The GBA was the first console I ever owned, and I have several games for it that I intend to play on the Pandora.
Unfortunately, most GBA games suck, so I'm not going to bother buying or pirating any other games.

So I guess my answer is, "I don't want to buy a game I already own, and I am certainly not interested in any other games, since I own the only games for the GBA that I would consider 'fun'"

So, basically, "I'm not even going to use my Pandora for emulation". Since I doubt I'll feel the need to play something like Pokemon Ruby when I already have other things the Pandora is capable of.

'gp32rich' said:
I can see this vote reflecting badly on the crowds round here.

Anyway. I voted.
How? nearly everyone on the internet is in support of piracy

'lulzfish' said:
To answer this, I really need to consider what it is I might be emulating:

GBA games I already own like Golden Sun, etc.
Playstation games I've never owned
SNES games I've never owned

There's only a few Playstation games I'm interested in, but I doubt Sony is going to put the effort into selling a game that I'd only pay maybe $5 for at best.

The SNES is really old, I've never even played one. I'll probably just skip it, since the GBA copied most of its good games.

The GBA was the first console I ever owned, and I have several games for it that I intend to play on the Pandora.
Unfortunately, most GBA games suck, so I'm not going to bother buying or pirating any other games.

So I guess my answer is, "I don't want to buy a game I already own, and I am certainly not interested in any other games, since I own the only games for the GBA that I would consider 'fun'"

So, basically, "I'm not even going to use my Pandora for emulation". Since I doubt I'll feel the need to play something like Pokemon Ruby when I already have other things the Pandora is capable of.
Fair enough. The real reason I ask is because I see services like GOG and figure the guys make a decent enough profit; why wouldn't other companies do the same for their own titles? It would make more sense to me if older games were easy to obtain, but some are so rare that the prices have inflated to rediculous proportions.

If customers have money in hand, wanting to buy a product of mine that is of limited availabilty, you're damn right I'm going to set up some sort of digital distribution service.

Unfortunately, however - Sony has their PSN (with limited support for classic titles) and Wii has their... whatever, thing.

Silly.

I think that for certain games I would be willing to pay for a legal and ported version if there was a reason to use the ported version over the emulated one. If, for example, they offered to use the full resolution of the pandora (800x480), as opposed to the old standard resolution (600x480), as well as some improved graphics or something, than sure, I'd pay $5-10 (maybe more depending on the game) for something like that. Or, if there did not exist an emulator to play the game, or that game didn't work with the community emulator, e.g. a dreamcast game. An artbook isn't going to do it for me.

If, on the other hand, they are just going to wrap an emulator and a rom together in some binary file that doesn't add any value and/or doesn't work as well as the community developed emulator and rom of questionable legality, then I would not be as likely to pay for the game.

Third option is if I wanted to own a physical copy of many of the games that I would likely download, I could probably do that for very little money by going to a used game shop or ebay. There isn't any difference to the developers of these games whether or not i do actually buy them from a used game shop, because they get no money in either case. So, my inclination is to not waste my money on that sort of a thing.

I would definatly pay for ported dreamcast or xbox-games ;) but not for roms I already own the originals of. Maybe I'd pay for rom-collections if they are made well.

it would depend really. if i am able to find the game second hand and cheap and i can make a rom myself then i probably wouldnt pay for a download seperately. of course it depends on a few things like whether the version was made to work specifically with the pandora but even then i would be skeptical.

what i would really appreciate a download service more for is games that are harder to create roms for such as cartridge, tape or arcade games. though considering the age of the games, i would expect the cost of the game to be incredibly fair or at least some kind of offer such as "100 NES games for £10" or something. considering how many games of quite similar (and greater) complexity are made for free, i think that would be fair.

'PoisonedV' said:
'gp32rich' said:
I can see this vote reflecting badly on the crowds round here.

Anyway. I voted.
How? nearly everyone on the internet is in support of piracy

because nearly everyone on the internet is -umm, erm

State the bleeding obvious, why don't you!

I'm afraid I can't vote, as I only emulate stuff I've already bought and paid for and continue to have in my possession in the first place - emulation, to me, is just a means of playing my software on other hardware. "Hardware-shifting", perhaps? :p

I've bought several things on the Wii Virtual Console service with my Pandora in mind (it's handy when titles that can be a pain in the backside to get hold of at a reasonable price are added - like, say, Pulseman), and was only too happy to do so. As well as that, buying up old games, more recent compilation discs of old games, and those officially-licensed multi-game handheld "clone"-hardware units that you sometimes see from AtGames (Sega's Chinese distributor) and sometimes others (these are quite a cheap method of getting however many games at a time, and one that takes up very little space compared to a stack of equivalent cartridges), are all good ways of getting low-cost legitimate copies of games in lieu of them being offered in a more direct manner. :p

I would do it for some, but I would still use ROMS. Some games are just not worth paying for, you only play them once to see what it's like.

'Prometheus' said:
I'm afraid I can't vote, as I only emulate stuff I've already bought and paid for and continue to have in my possession in the first place - emulation, to me, is just a means of playing my software on other hardware. "Hardware-shifting", perhaps? :p

I've bought several things on the Wii Virtual Console service with my Pandora in mind (it's handy when titles that can be a pain in the backside to get hold of at a reasonable price are added - like, say, Pulseman), and was only too happy to do so. As well as that, buying up old games, more recent compilation discs of old games, and those officially-licensed multi-game handheld "clone"-hardware units that you sometimes see from AtGames (Sega's Chinese distributor) and sometimes others (these are quite a cheap method of getting however many games at a time, and one that takes up very little space compared to a stack of equivalent cartridges), are all good ways of getting low-cost legitimate copies of games in lieu of them being offered in a more direct manner. :p

Good point, should have added that to the poll choices.

A certain feeling of pride comes with owning the game yourself, I don't know about you guys. Might be just me <_<

'Grisaille' said:
A certain feeling of pride comes with owning the game yourself, I don't know about you guys. Might be just me <_<
It's not just you. ;)

(You know, one of these days, I'm going to have to write up my list of good sources for old games, just in case it'd be useful to anyone out there... :lol: )

1) I will not pay for a game I already bought. If I have to download ROMs to play my PS1 games on my Pandora, then so be it. In my country, this is technically legal, despite what the game developers say.

2) I don't support companies using invasive DRM.

3) I'd be willing to pay $2-6 for a game like Chrono Trigger or Super Mario RPG.

...except, I already own both. :p

One of the German blog guys actually wrote to Nintendo about a way to acquire classic games legally. They didn't want to know about it.

So there you go. Whatever you're doing, Nintendo doesn't want to know about it. Talk about your open slather. :p

If you have an idea and are not gainfully employed by Nintendo (this actually goes for a lot of companies that rely on innovation, not just Nintendo) they don't want to hear your idea. It could be the greatest idea in the world, and that would be the problem. If they see your idea, and then someone inside comes up with a similar idea totally on their own, there's no way to prove that they didn't have any contact with (and therefore steal from) your idea, unless they implement and strictly enforce a sweeping "we will never listen to ideas" policy. If you have an idea, there are proper channels that you can go through to have your idea listened to with all the legal documents tightly in place to make sure everyone knows who owns what; an email is not that channel, but a properly worded email could get you on the right track.

Back