Port request: Freespace2

Moridian

Still Fresh
Would it be possible for one of you wizards to port Freespace 2 to the Pandora using this guide http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/Fs2_open_on_Linux and some Pandora knowlegde? If its possible Id be willing to offer up some bounty for a playable version at low-medium settings with sounds. Cutscenes working not a requirement.

Using the retail version its requirements are quite similar Homeworld which is allready playable on the Pandora.

Homeworld: Minimum CPU Type: Pentium II Minimum CPU Speed: 233 MHz Minimum RAM Required: 32 MB Minimum Hard Disk Space: 100 MB Graphics Type: SVGA Graphics Resolution: 800x600 Color Depth: High Color

Freespace 2: MINIMUM PC REQUIREMENTS Minimum CPU Type: Pentium MMX Minimum CPU Speed: 200 MHz Minimum RAM Required: 32 MB Minimum Hard Disk Space: 400 MB Graphics Type: SVGA/3D accelerated graphics card Graphics Resolution: Multiple Resolutions Color Depth: 256 Colors

It look like it need OpenGL for graphic rendenring. Compile shouldn't be a problem, but having it playable will probably require porting OpenGL to GL-ES, so that may be a lot more complicated.

I'll give it a shot with MesaGL just to see, and will report back in a few days (Iam on travel and have no acces to my FreeSpace2 CDs).

Descent Freespace have a 2d Software renderer build in too.

I have got it running slowly under qemu and windows.

Soon will i have the 1ghz Pandora,then i will try it again.

See in my YouTube Channel Reisingo there is a video with Freespace on a Rebirth Pandora.

It look like it need OpenGL for graphic rendenring. Compile shouldn't be a problem, but having it playable will probably require porting OpenGL to GL-ES, so that may be a lot more complicated.

I'll give it a shot with MesaGL just to see, and will report back in a few days (Iam on travel and have no acces to my FreeSpace2 CDs).

Thats what Im fearing that getting the opengl on it ported will be rather troublesome.

Descent Freespace have a 2d Software renderer build in too.

I have got it running slowly under qemu and windows.

Soon will i have the 1ghz Pandora,then i will try it again.

See in my YouTube Channel Reisingo there is a video with Freespace on a Rebirth Pandora.

Allready seen it, it was partly why I made this request. Seeing that its able to run FS1 in quemu, though slowly, and FS2 having the open source and allready compiled and fully functioning on linux there might be a chance of getting it working on the Pandora aswell.

Interesting. I guess if he finishes this project, getting it over on the pandora would be pretty simple. 4fps on software rendering, about the same as you get on FS1 through quemu on the pandora.

Back