Port Request : Nethack

Terraforme

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
Hey there. :)

First of all, many thanks to all of the guys porting/coding stuff for the Wiz. We love you guys, and we don't say it enough. :D

Now, let's go to the main subject. Nethack has been ported on GP2X, and I'd love to see it on my brand new handheld (the Wiz, of course ;)).
Here is the source code from the file archive : http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/gp2x.cgi?0,0,0,0,46,1942

Could someone please take a look at it ? ;)

Cheers !

Pickle said:
I took a look its using gp2x hw directly, so it needs some work to convert over to wiz hw interfaces.

Damn. So it needs more than a simple wiz-flavored makefile, huh ? :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Terraforme said:
Pickle said:
I took a look its using gp2x hw directly, so it needs some work to convert over to wiz hw interfaces.

Yeah, but ive taken a few minutes and I have video working with libcastor. Controls will be simple enough. The timing may be interesting.

Update: Ive put a version of what I have so far. Its pretty rough but its playable. Dzz used the vsync on the gp2x, which i am not, so that may be the reason for the tearing. Timing may be off too.

pickle.gp2x.de/nethack-wiz.zip

Pickle said:
Terraforme said:
Pickle said:

Yeah, but ive taken a few minutes and I have video working with libcastor. Controls will be simple enough. The timing may be interesting.

Update: Ive put a version of what I have so far. Its pretty rough but its playable. Dzz used the vsync on the gp2x, which i am not, so that may be the reason for the tearing. Timing may be off too.

pickle.gp2x.de/nethack-wiz.zip

Sweet ! I tried it out for a few minutes, and disregard the tearing storm it runs pretty good ! :D Plus, this version is even better than QtNethack IMO.
When you say "Timing may be off too.", are you talking about the delay when you press a button ?

Also, is there anything I can do to help ?

EDIT : Zooming in/out does not seem to work (Vol+/-). :eek:

Terraforme said:
Sweet ! I tried it out for a few minutes, and disregard the tearing storm it runs pretty good ! :D Plus, this version is even better than QtNethack IMO.
When you say "Timing may be off too.", are you talking about the delay when you press a button ?

I just need some time to try things out and test, I really havnt spent much time on this.

Pickle said:
Terraforme said:

I just need some time to try things out and test, I really havnt spent much time on this.

Understood. :) Also, please excuse me if I sounded kind of rude, as english is not my native language... :mellow:

Cheers !

flicker fixed, now just to get the timer stuff right.

Update: Another version up, fixed the flicker, timing seems right, fixed a shutdown problem (Im really surprised with this one, if you get the app after playing a game it shutdown through another route than if you quit before starting a game. It basically means none of the system specific resources get released. I suppose its not a noticeable on the gp2x, but it causes issues on the wiz.)

Are the directions supposed to repeat or are you required to push multiple times? I dont remember.
I took a quick look and I havnt seen why yet the vol buttons arnt doing what they are supposed to do.

Very nice, thanks!

I think the directions are supposed to repeat, but I don't know the GP2X version, no big issue anyways.

A request, if it can be done easily: searching is mapped to pushing the stick on the GP2X, so it doesn't work for the wiz, but you need it very often, so selecting it via menu is quite cumbersome. Maybe you can remap it to the volume buttons (once they work) or instead of far look (L+X)?

Awesome ! :eek: Thanks !
The directions should not repeat IMO, since fewer moves = greater score, you should be able to move precisely. Also, L+Pad make you go in the selected direction until you bump into something.

And about the Search thing, I agree with Sitizen, it would be nice to have a shortcut. :) Could you please take a quick look at it ?

EDIT : Stange. The game froze all of the sudden, I had to restart the Wiz... I'm running firmware 1.1.0 (Linux 2.6.24, Revision 244).

A version is up on the server the with the volume buttons corrected.
Is there a button combination that can replace the stick click without messing up the other button functions?

I think every combination is already used, so another function would have to be sacrificed, which would be far look imho.
But dont't put too much effort into it, it is not that bad as you can use the repeat button for multiple searches.

I think the volume buttons still don't work (?)

Yep, volume buttons are still broken. About the search, L+Menu or L+Select are not used ATM, but it may be difficult to add. If so, yeah, L+X (used for Far Look) could do the trick.

Sitizen, does the game freeze for you too ?

It did once yesterday, I kept my Wiz running for ~20 Minutes with Nethack loaded, no activity. When I came back it was frozen.
Didn't occur while playing yet, needs more testing...

Awesome, Vol+/- are working, seems like the freeze is gone, I love you ! :lol: Thanks. You rock.

EDIT : Woops... Got freezed when I had to name an item. :rolleyes:

Terraforme said:
Awesome, Vol+/- are working, seems like the freeze is gone, I love you ! :lol: Thanks. You rock.

With the freezing is there anything that it repeatable with? I havnt seen it once.

Pickle said:
Terraforme said:

With the freezing is there anything that it repeatable with? I havnt seen it once.

If I get this right, you want me to do some tests to see when the game freezes ? Sure. All I have to do is play, anyway, right ? :p

I do not see any "freeze factor"... I just tried twice : Once with a mage, the game froze when I opened a door, once with a Barbarian, and it froze at a random moment when I pressed Select... :s

Back