Portable Media Players

c0ncept

H.R. Gigers wet dream
Website
Visit site
I'm sick of having to burn vcd's of video media that I've downloaded so I've been looking for one for a while and I found this, has anyone here had any experience of this product or anything similar? I need some recommendations :)

well, 2gb of divx should be more than enugh, shouldnt it?
and we may find the possibility to conenct external harddrives.

iriver is just a gpx2 with worse codec support and hdd.

i dont see how you are oing to buy a expnsive pmp when the gpx2 with simmilar possibilitys is right about the corner.

Vimacs posted on Aug 28 2005 at 07:58 PM said:
well, 2gb of divx should be more than enugh, shouldnt it?
and we may find the possibility to conenct external harddrives.

SD Cards can store up to 4Gb now. But it's still not nearly enough when you're dealing with DVD-quality output. As for external harddrives; it would be a fantastic addition, but AFAIK GPH have yet to confirm anything of the sort.

Don't get me wrong, I'm looking forward to the GPX2 for its PMP capabilities, but it's hardly comparable to the iRiver and other such devices, at least in terms of storage.

Last edited by a moderator:
Vimacs posted on Aug 28 2005 at 09:25 PM said:
iriver is just a gpx2 with worse codec support and hdd.

i dont see how you are oing to buy a expnsive pmp when the gpx2 with simmilar possibilitys is right about the corner.
More suitable for media than a gp32, because of the 40gb hard drive, and the higher resolution screen.

Similar possibilities. WTF?! Are you insane??!

Hum, who needs DVD-quality on 320x240 screen, anyway? :huh:

If someone has the dough to squander to GPX2 AND a PMP, go right ahead.

I'm not sure if I even have the money for GPX2... :p

gpx2 can output to tv's in full res, i doubt thats not enugh.
and a good backlight 320*240 screen is enugh for on the go.

and as gpx2 haves also many other capabilitys it would be stupid to not try if the gpx2 is enugh for you first.

Pardon me, but as far as i remember, the GPx2 won´t have a TV- out or the likes?

EDIT: Gosh, it has! When was this announced? I don´t have the possibility to check the news very often during the week...

Jarska333 posted on Aug 28 2005 at 03:51 PM said:
Hum, who needs DVD-quality on 320x240 screen, anyway? :huh:

If someone has the dough to squander to GPX2 AND a PMP, go right ahead.

I'm not sure if I even have the money for GPX2... :p
Not many PMP have a much larger screen resolution, and the ones that do are ridiculously expensive.

So at risk of stating the obvious. DVD movies compress down nicely to around a gig of .avi file if you want to maintain quality. So if you reduce the res to 320 x 240 i.e. less than quarter of the original resolution you can assume that a nice quality GPx2 movie could be encoded to around 256 mb including sound at 22khz 64kbit. And with 7dayshop.com selling 512mb cards for 18 GBP you could fit two movies per card with very impressive quality and if that isn't good enough quality for you buy some 1 gig cards at 40 GBP and fit 3 movies per card.

Makes the GPX2 a winner in my book especially as cards are going to get bigger and cheaper. :)

Edit: As for the GP32 outputting to TV 320x240 isn't far removed from VCD and thats perfectly acceptable quality.

c0ncept posted on Aug 28 2005 at 02:07 PM said:
I'm sick of having to burn vcd's of video media that I've downloaded so I've been looking for one for a while and I found this, has anyone here had any experience of this product or anything similar? I need some recommendations :)

Having said I'd go for a GPX2 I've just bought a Tangent D400 from play.com and it plays everything I throw at it. Divx Xvid Mpegs DVDs VCDs MP3s CDs CDRW etc.

I can stick in a DVD with 11 .avis of my favorite SCI FI show and watch one after the other. saves having to link the PC S-Video out to the TV or spending hours encoding VCDs etc.

The sound isn't brilliant but I'm a bit of an audio nut so for 60 quid it's fine.

The gpx2 isn't ideal as 2gig really isn't enough, I think I probably will go with the one I found. I want it because I go to other peoples houses so often and we never have much to watch, so I envisioned this as a sort of video mp3 player (i.e I want to dump everything I have onto it and not have to keep connecting it to my computer to swap things around). I have thought about getting one of those divX dvd players but lugging a few disks and a dvd player from house to house is a bit impractical.

Cheers for the input :)

that link for the portable harddrive player, the only thing i've seen is some korean-made product, sporting a 100gb internal harddrive (but much larger size), and plays Divx/XVid/other various codecs. If it doesnt need to be plugged into a power-outlet, either that or it runs efficently on batteries, i would totally buy it. $200usd is alot though :(

Back