Possible Workaround For Forum Bugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, saw this post just now. Interesting find, although I notice now that I've been using the 'enhanced' text editor all along (well, the first thing I do when I join a forum is going through the settings, and I guess that I kinda checked the check box without thinking much about it) and thought that everyone else had the same thing. Never noticed that my posts weren't affected by the forum bugs.

Anyways, I'm thinking about improving the GM script to also parse the 'posting page' contents, but I don't want to release the version that does this just yet, because there still is the problem that stuff inside
Code:
 tags gets parsed (so all ")" (close-parens) inside a code-tag become smileys). If I find a solution to that problem, I'll publish the 'post fixing' code as well so that quotes work etc. URLs wills till be broken though, but my current version of the script fixes that :P

Last edited by a moderator:
dflemstr said:
Oh, saw this post just now. Interesting find, although I notice now that I've been using the 'enhanced' text editor all along (well, the first thing I do when I join a forum is going through the settings, and I guess that I kinda checked the check box without thinking much about it) and thought that everyone else had the same thing. Never noticed that my posts weren't affected by the forum bugs.

Anyways, I'm thinking about improving the GM script to also parse the 'posting page' contents, but I don't want to release the version that does this just yet, because there still is the problem that stuff inside
Code:
 tags gets parsed (so all ")" (close-parens) inside a code-tag become smileys). If I find a solution to that problem, I'll publish the 'post fixing' code as well so that quotes work etc. URLs wills till be broken though, but my current version of the script fixes that :P 

[I]Really? I didn't PM you because I saw your posts clean and thought you had already seen it. LOL :lol: [/I]

Nice find

Using it now!

'

Wow! It doubles up blank lines! :rolleyes:
Small price to pay for legibility, I guess :ph34r:

gp2.eXe said:

A'p'o's't'r'o'p'h'e
Bold
Italic
Underlined
Strikethrough
All the previous
Red
Blue
http//:www.gp32x.de. :lol:
Boo yah la shaka!!

'gp2.eXe' said:

Hey. :) My natural curiosity has gotten me in trouble sometimes, but I think this time it might have come in handy. Here goes:

Hate those doubled quotations?
Tired of forum screwing your post every time you edit?
You don't use Firefox and can't get the Greasemonkey script?

Well here's another way: (Open a new tab or window if needed)

-Scroll the page all the way up
-Click the "My Controls" link
-Under the Options tab select ">Board settings"
-At the end you will see Posting Settings, there's the option "Type of text editor to use when posting", select "Rich Text Editor" from the drop down menu. Note that it requires IE6, Mozilla or Firefox.
-Click on "Change my Account Options"

Now here's where we try it out. As you can see my post contains lots o' bug-causing code, Please quote me after following every step. After you do try editing your post, full editing only.(I know quick editing doesn't work so don't try it.) I'll edit my post after results start coming in.

Some more to test:
A'p'o's't'r'o'p'h'e
Bold
Italic
Underlined
Strikethrough
All the previous
Red
Blue
http//:www.gp32x.de
CODE
Code tags
(Yeah I know code tags have always worked)

Ok i'll stop here for now. Hope it works :p

The only problem would be that it helps with your posts but doesn't do anything for previously existing ones...

Edit: Ok editing my post didn't screw it. :lol:

Dammit....it seems Opera is not compatible with the rich text editor.....any ideas? and no don't say "Just use firefox", becuase I don't like firefox. There I said it. Any ideas for Opera Browsers guys?

Changed the front post to reflect the status of this thread...
If a mod wishes to lock it please feel free to do so. Unless someone has anything useful to add.

Edit: Oh wait! I remember Hando mentioning that the RTE caused some problems, is it possible to use it or is it best to stick with the regular editor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back