Possibly defective Wifi

sixtyfifthbit

I just read the news update regarding wifi and it sounds a lot like what I'm experiencing (I've been forced to use wired USB networking for any internet usage). First, is there a way to solidly confirm defective wifi hardware? And if I do certainly find that it is defective, is there a way I can fix it myself with a soldering iron? It sounds like it's a bad antenna solder joint, and I'd rather not be without my Pandora for the length of time it would take to complete an RMA cycle - Newcastle upon Tyne is quite far from Los Angeles upon California! I know the OP team is very busy (all the more reason to avoid the RMA) so I hope a solution that can be executed "at home" can be found. Thanks for all the hard work!

Well, easiest is to tell us what your WiFi problems are, then we could tell you more.

Well, easiest is to tell us what your WiFi problems are, then we could tell you more.

I'm sorry I blanked on this.

I cannot maintain a connection. Web pages - even known fast ones - take forever to open, if they don't time out. Downloads start okay, but get slower over time, then stop. After a while the wireless disconnects, and can no longer re-connect. It almost feels like it's overheating, or something equivalent. Does any of this help?

The fact that it connects at all to any networks possibly rules it out of being one of the truly defective wifi chips of the recent batch. IIRC they would enable wifi but it just wouldn't see any networks at all, or if it did it, would not connect to them.

Yours sounds more of an issue with router settings and the Pandora being picky in its compatibility about the router.

You should try notaz beta wifi driver for HF5 if your running that and also try changing router channels, WEP/WPA security types, AES/TKIP protocols etc until you find something the Pandora is getting better speed and stability from. It can take awhile and still not be perfect. If you have access to another router, public wifi hotspot etc thats also worth trying to see if it works well elsewhere.

The way more knowledgeable here can probably guide you with things to try and analyse output messages to see whats wrong, or you should search the support forum for other wifi threads that cover many of these issues before for other users, for such pointers.

I hope it works out, as its a pain when the wifi isn't working right.

Last edited by a moderator:
The fact that it connects at all to any networks possibly rules it out of being one of the truly defective wifi chips of the recent batch. IIRC they would enable wifi but it just wouldn't see any networks at all, or if it did it, would not connect to them.

Yours sounds more of an issue with router settings and the Pandora being picky in its compatibility about the router.

You should try notaz beta wifi driver for HF5 if your running that and also try changing router channels, WEP/WPA security types, AES/TKIP protocols etc until you find something the Pandora is getting better speed and stability from. It can take awhile and still not be perfect. If you have access to another router, public wifi hotspot etc thats also worth trying to see if it works well elsewhere.

The way more knowledgeable here can probably guide you with things to try and analyse output messages to see whats wrong, or you should search the support forum for other wifi threads that cover many of these issues before for other users, for such pointers.

I hope it works out, as its a pain when the wifi isn't working right.

A router issue, huh? Well, that's unfortunate, but comforting that at least it isn't a hardware defect.

Has anyone had any issue problem with Linux routers (the type that can be loaded with dd-wrt or OpenWrt or Tomato Firmware) because I have one of those, but haven't swapped out the firmware - it's still stock. I'm wondering if upgrading/opengrading will solve the problem...

Has anyone had any issue problem with Linux routers (the type that can be loaded with dd-wrt or OpenWrt or Tomato Firmware) because I have one of those, but haven't swapped out the firmware - it's still stock. I'm wondering if upgrading/opengrading will solve the problem...
I have a DG834GT with DGTeam Rev. 1018 - no problems with the pandora, but my android tablet doesn't always like it (mind you, the tablet is a bit special)

I have a DG834GT with DGTeam Rev. 1018 - no problems with the pandora, but my android tablet doesn't always like it (mind you, the tablet is a bit special)

I just put DD-WRT on my router, and it and the Pandora had hot electronic intercourse all night long! Thanks for the help!

Back