Post Your Speed Over Wifi

lucidchaos

Website
Visit site
Download the following file in Chromium and post your download speed:

Microsoft office compatibility pack

I am using this since we all know Microsoft has fast servers. I get 800kB/s on my desktop.

My Pandora starts out around 39kB/s, and towards the end of the download hovers around 45kBps.

I also can not stream mp3s or videos from my shares over wifi. I am getting a full wifi signal and using it about 10 feet away from the router.

What kind of speed are you other Pandora owners getting?

Please use http://speedtest.net/ instead. After the test, you even get the BBCode for pasting the result in a forum.

EDIT: I don't know whether the speedtest non-Flash fall back is working since I don't have a browser w/o Flash, so I'm looking for another similar service.

EDIT2: e.g. http://www.ispgeeks.com/wild/modules.php?name=Bandwidth_Meter_DSL

gibberish said:
514KB/s on ispgeeks from my PC
16KB/s on ispgeeks from my pandora...

something wrong there surely...

I'll give it a try too, I suspect a speed nearer to Gibberish's. Are we all using the modded boards here?

Last edited by a moderator:
Why are you using speed test sites rather than just transferring a file from your PC to your Pandora? We're interested in the speed of Pandora's wifi, not your internets, right?

PhillipJ said:
Why are you using speed test sites rather than just transferring a file from your PC to your Pandora? We're interested in the speed of Pandora's wifi, not your internets, right?

I already tested this ,the speed is not very good when transfering files over the home network and typical download speeds over the internet are exactly the same ,the wifi driver has not matured yet and it is early days ,when i tested the transfer speeds i noticed the speed of wifi was intermitant ,sometimes nice and fast 250kbs other times 40/65kbs.

Remember we were going to be getting non working wifi at one point and use a dongle ,now we have working wifi but not great but it does work and it could very well be the driver ,but in any case most of us were happy to accept non working wifi and a dongle and some of us didn't even want the dongle.

Fingers crossed the first 700 or 500 modded boards do not have faulty wifi ,but if this is the case then as long as all newer boards are fine then i do not have a problem and i am an owner of one of these early modded boards ,i will be buying from batch two when the time comes and for batch two i expect better everything ,i hope OPT improve in all of the failing aspects of the first units ,but this is normal isn't it for early units then when everything is ironed out we will have one bad ass unit ,at this point my old unit will go in the loft for 15 years !!! and my new unit will get a battering. :ph34r:

Apparently ispgeeks.com is over 30 hops away from me, which may explain the abysmal 3204.3 Kbps rating I get from it.

http://www.broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk/ works better for my PC, although it uses flash. I think downloading from a site like Microsoft (or better still, a local network device) would give a more accurate/useful/maximum result. FWIW my RX/TX rates accoring to http://www.broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk/ are:

RX: 9704 Kbps
TX: 472 Kbps

Although obviously less than the full speed of WiFi (we expect speed upgrades in the future) that's pretty responsive. What's Pandora managing - about a tenth of that?

I get 80-150 KBps - be mindful of your b to B - some sites report in bits andnot bytes so that you have to divide by 8 to get bytes

my pandora has to be nowhere near my laptop.. I think my laptop stomps other connections (!!!)

jeffphone

Using ISPgeeks I get 800-1000KBps on my laptop (which is quite slow as I can usually get around 2.2MBps) and between 16KBps and 80KBps on my Pandora. Sitting about 8 foot away from my wireless access point and showing full bars on Network Manager.

Those getting seemingly slow connection speeds, I propose the following tests
1) open a terminal, and "ping <router ip>" and just let it go for a minute or two. See if there's an unusually large number of packets lost. 1/100 while not ideal, would not be entirely unheard of. 1/10 would be absolutely disastrous. Also try pinging while doing something intensive (like downloading a large file or something) and see if that has any effect. Could be that the wifi is still dropping a lot of packets for some reason.
2) Still in the terminal, run "iwconfig wlan0 power off" and see if turning off the power management makes any difference. Run the same ping test, do some downloading, that sort of thing. Note that this could slaughter your battery, so be sure to "power on" to turn power management back on.

Also keep in mind that, while the maximum physical transfer rate on an 802.11g network is 54Mbit, once you've added error correction and protocol overhead, you're looking at closer to 20MBit throughput (or 2.5MB per second) under the absolutely best of conditions.

I get 1020.70 kbps or 127.59 KB/sec at ispgeeks.com

I'm in the UK testing at I presume a US server, so .. not bad I don't think :)

However ... I notice my wifi connections seems to die after a few minutes of inactivity. Sometimes the only way to get it back is to restart the Pandora!

MDave said:
However ... I notice my wifi connections seems to die after a few minutes of inactivity. Sometimes the only way to get it back is to restart the Pandora!
Known bug in the connection manager. You shouldn't need to restart the Pandora, just toggle the wifi off and on again.
Here is a short guide someone made that shows how to put an icon on the desktop that does just that.

I get 12.42mbps (1.55MB/s) on my desktop according to ispgeeks. I get 159.92kbps (19.99 KB/s) on my Pandora at 4 feet from the router. :(

Hm, I only know speedtest.net and not ispgeeks.com, but using a browser for speedtests is kinda problematic, I think.
The testing program of speedtest.net needs a lot of ressources - I one had an old PC (800MHz Pentium III) which had very fast download speeds but very bad results from speedtest.net.

Those programs need ressources, so if the browser runs out of CPU power, the speed it reports will be a lot slower than it actually is.

You could try to overclock - if speed goes higher, the browser is probably running out of juice.

Downloading a file using wget or scp from a local network server is probably a better test.

WizardStan said:
1) open a terminal, and "ping <router ip>" and just let it go for a minute or two. See if there's an unusually large number of packets lost. 1/100 while not ideal, would not be entirely unheard of. 1/10 would be absolutely disastrous. Also try pinging while doing something intensive (like downloading a large file or something) and see if that has any effect. Could be that the wifi is still dropping a lot of packets for some reason.
2) Still in the terminal, run "iwconfig wlan0 power off" and see if turning off the power management makes any difference. Run the same ping test, do some downloading, that sort of thing. Note that this could slaughter your battery, so be sure to "power on" to turn power management back on.
1. I just let it go with 261 iterations with no dropped packets.
2. i get this response:
lucid:~$ iwconfig wlan0 power off
Error for wireless request "Set Power Management" (8B2C) :
SET failed on device wlan0 ; Operation not permitted

lucidchaos said:
2. i get this response:
lucid:~$ iwconfig wlan0 power off
Error for wireless request "Set Power Management" (8B2C) :
SET failed on device wlan0 ; Operation not permitted
sudo iwconfig wlan0 power off

lucidchaos said:
Thanks, that worked. My speed is the same. I did peak at near 199 but it quickly dropped to around 51kB. Overclocking did not help.
How is the ping time between power on and power off? We should at least see an improvement there.
The fact that it's not dropping pings suggests it isn't the same hardware flaw as before, it's just going slow for some reason. There could be lots of reasons, but until I've actually got a Pandora I can play with, I can only guess at things.
(I wants my Pandora! WAAAAH!!!! :( )

Back