Post Your Speed Over Wifi

My wireless speed on the Pandora isn't all that bad. When downloading a file with wget over ftp (on the local network), I get a speed of almost 1 MB/s.

wireless2.jpg

you might be a lucky one then or you some how managed to get a configuration that your pandora liked, well if yours is that fast but others are not what could the issue be?

milkshake said:
you might be a lucky one then or you some how managed to get a configuration that your pandora liked, well if yours is that fast but others are not what could the issue be?

Perhaps this?

Last edited by a moderator:
And just so the folks with functional wifi don't think the rest of us are crazy, here is the same sort of wget test on my Pandora.

1000000003.JPG

1000000005.JPG

You see at the top of the first pic, the first test was decent at ~600KB/s. However subsequent tests turned to junk. Basically either stalling out multiple times or just running horribly slow. The 133KB/s at the top of the second screen was the final result of the stalled transfer in the first pic as it finished up with a nice fast burst at the end.

Reran test with power management off and got results close to wepj's for two runs then back down to stalling or at best ~50KB/s. I've changed to various channels on my router with no difference(I live in the middle of nowhere anyway, so no conflicts) and have tried tweaking every setting I could. I'm going to setup my old Netgear router and try connecting through it and see if it makes any difference...but beyond that solving the issues, not sure what else I can do on my end...

Bo Baeza said:
my pandora connection info tells me I get 48Mb/s.

lol are you sure about that? im not even sure 802.11 g can reach 48Mb/s im going to assume you meant 48Kb/s :)

milkshake said:
lol are you sure about that? im not even sure 802.11 g can reach 48Mb/s im going to assume you meant 48Kb/s :)
If you run iwconfig, it will tell you the Bit Rate that you're connected at. 802.11g, for example, can connect at 54Mb/s at best, but if it can't establish a connection that fast you should get one of the slower speeds: 48, 36, 24, 18, etc... If it ever falls to 48Kb/s, you'd be screwed: that's about dialup speed.
This actually reminds me of something: not too long ago someone posted their iwconfig output and I remember it reading "Bit Rate=11 Mb/s". Now, I thought that was odd, that's fairly slow, and meant to followup. The biggest red flag, if I recall correctly, is that 11Mb/s is not part of the 802.11g spec, but of the 802.11b spec. Could it be possible that those that are experiencing especially slow speeds are actually only connecting at b speeds and not g speeds?
In addition to the wget test, it may be useful to start posting the output of iwconfig as well, from those that have good speed and those not so good. iwconfig also gives output for signal quality and noise, and some stats on certain types of packet errors.
I wonder if the Pandora's wifi supports iwspy.

WS, So my speed is fine?
My router sucks and so does my service that's why I was iffy about getting 48Mb/s

Bo Baeza said:
WS, So my speed is fine?
My router sucks and so does my service that's why I was iffy about getting 48Mb/s
48Mb/s is not the best, but it is second best. If you try to download a file
Code:
wget -O /dev/null http://download.blender.org/peach/bigbuckbunny_movies/BigBuckBunny_320x180.mp4
what kind of speed does it actually tell you you're getting? This is an internet download, you don't need to grab the whole thing, just a few seconds worth. This probably won't tell you what your maximum speed is, but it should give you a general idea as to whether your speed is good or not. For this server, about 200KB/s or better, I'd say good. Less than 200, probably not so good.
(best way to test speed is with a local server that you have control over and know that the speed should be substantial, but you may not have access to one)

i thought he was reffering to actual download speads in kilobytes or megabytes.
In this case per second now to get 48Mb/s would be freeking amazing! id be able to download a 10GB 1080p movie in 213 seconds flat assuming some server had enough bandwidth for that.

theres a difference in how you write it e.g.
Mb/s = Megabytes per second mbps = megabits per second
Kb/s = Kilobytes per second kbps = kilobits per second

that's good :) but its still hit and miss and you shouldn't have to mess with you router to get that, as you don't have to mess with you router for the iphone or other wireless device.
definitely some sort of problem somewhere me still believes.

milkshake said:
Mb/s = Megabytes per second mbps = megabits per second
Kb/s = Kilobytes per second kbps = kilobits per second
Mb/s is still megabits per second. Lowercase b = bits, uppercase B = bytes.
54Mb/s = 54Mbps = 54 megabits per second or about 6.75MB/s = 6.75 megabytes per second.
Keep in mind that 54Mb/s is the maximum theoretical number of bits that your wifi and the router can communicate at. There is data that they need to share, error handling, and other overhead taken off before it even gets to the point where the system can put actual data on. Then you add the TCP headers and other stuff on top, you end up with about 20Mb/s or a true maximum download speed of 2.5MB/s.

I understand there was an issue with the 1st couple of hundred Pandora's wifi and a resistor, a usb wifi dongle was to be sent out with those machines.

As the fault was fixed at the last minute did the OPT team buy those dongles?

Would it be worth people getting hold of one until the current issues are resolved?

Well, I have some positive information to add to this thread...at least for me. I switched routers to my old Netgear WGR614v7 and now my wget test are showing a consistent 800-900+KB/s. Occasional drops a bit lower, but never stalls or goes really low like before. Just for testing purposes I tried channel 4 and channel 11 on the Netgear and tested with WEP enabled and disabled. None of the changes made any real difference...speed stayed consistent.

So in review....

Netgear WGR614v7 = Good ~900KB/s speeds.
2wire 2701HG = Bad < 50KB/s speeds.

Well, my connection has gone back a step - the download I was trying is still going after a couple of min, and nowhere near finished. I see I get 500ms pings to my LAN server and router, but 50ms to bbc.co.uk or my server's public dyndns ip.

This is going nowhere till we find someone who understands the protocols in detail!

I too had the 'wont connect any more' issue, fixed by deleting the connection in network manager and rebooting. Got to be worth having a closer look at that code...

maybe one day when all the planets align in our solar system someone will look into this, or am I being too optimistic?

sorry for the sarcasm I'm just surprised no ones looking into this even though everyone keeps mentioning this and I have posted the bug http://bugs.openpandora.org/ and no official response on there to say anyone is going to look into this.

I know the OS devs are having a break but come on people will want their WiFi to actually work to a decent speed when they receive there Pandora.

Back