Potential Buyer

Moxie posted on Mar 14 2007 at 08:49 AM said:
The joystick is an eternal debate on these forums. Some people hate the stick to death, other people swear by it. I probably would have been happier with a D-pad kind of thing, but it really, honestly, doesn't matter. Not to me, at least. I have no trouble with my stick :)

Mind, a lot of the more outspoken stick-haters bought the GP2x in its MKI incarnation. The stick (along with a lot of other things) definitely was worse on those. If you get a new one (with "new" being something like "Not more than a year old"), it's a MKII model, on which the stick is much improved. Or so they say - I waited for the MKII before buying, and has been happy ever since :)

I don't watch much videos, but the few times I have done that, it went quite well despite being reencoded on my linux box. Then again, "video encoding" seems to be this hardware generations equivalent to "SCSI chaining and termination", in that it really is not a repeatable science, but rather a black art where every instance is unique and needs a unique solution, and every practitioner worth his salt has a super saver pack of black wax candles in the cupboard and a few small animals ready for sacrifice, should the need arise.
First, let me say that I have owned 4 of the GP2X's, so don't let me keep you from getting one, I never sold one because it was broken.

The joystick is not under debate, the facts are that it is not rated for heavy gameplay and it is overstressed and not designed for use in a game player.

The MK1 and MK2 sticks are not different, they are the same (AND I have owned both, so I know of which I speak), the MK2 stick is turned 45 degrees and does make a big difference in the control and ease of use. IT is NOT sturdier or better built, it is the same, it is rated for 100,000 presses, count each one, it can fail.

I highly recommend it as a useful device if it has a working joystick, and the joystick will likely be fine for a year or so, depending.

The German distributor from time to time has a Dpad mod that can be performed to make the device nearly perfect.

I re-iterate, the stick will fail, but don't let it stop you from enjoying a GP2X. Dpad please for the love of all that is holy. GPH just won't listen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dawg posted on Mar 15 2007 at 07:28 PM said:
i have to say, the community seems very friendly... i see people posting about GBA games, i assume that's Game Boy Advance... what all emulators are out there? can someone point me to a (more or less) comprehensive list or source?

Yup Gameboy Advance

You can find most of the apps for the GP2X here, specifically, the emulator section is here

And be sure to check out Gamepark Newbie for more info..

Yes, Gamepark Newbie has a nice comprehensive list of all emulated consoles, their best emulator + a nice description.
(same for interpreters like doom, quake, scummVM, or for some homebrew)

Dawg posted on Mar 15 2007 at 02:28 PM said:
well... i think it's decided... if i get enough $$$ for my birthday next month i'll probably be buying one... i c that play-asia.com has the value pak listed at US$189 and gp2x.co.uk (or whatever it is) has it listed at US$209... any thoughts what the best place would be for me in the good ole USofA should get one? Also, i'm gonna try to find a 4GB SD card, are there particular brands to use that are better? particular brands to avoid?

LOL @ Black Art (don't even mention SCSI chaining... i'm liable to end up in the corner in the fetal position whimpering!)... i use ffmpegx to convert on my Mac (uses mplayer/mencoder)

haven't really tried converting in Linux yet... also, i don't have USB 2.0 on any of my boxes... will it be worth it to add a card to my linux box for speed of file transfer? ( i always used ieee1394/firewire, with my ipod)

i have to say, the community seems very friendly... i see people posting about GBA games, i assume that's Game Boy Advance... what all emulators are out there? can someone point me to a (more or less) comprehensive list or source?

hope to post again soon as the proud owner of a gp2x!

A good place to go in the us is http://www.gp2xstore.com/ i didnt order my 2x from there, but i did order a zodiac and it came quite quickly! and if your on a mac, then ffmpegx encodes things the the 2x just fine with the standard Xvid encoding (which i mostly use) and as far as usb 2.0 goes, try looking for a firewire card reader,
(ill try adn find one in a sec)

I re-iterate, the stick will fail, but don't let it stop you from enjoying a GP2X. Dpad please for the love of all that is holy. GPH just won't listen.

i'm reticent to spend 200$ on a device i know will fail... i just don't have that kind of money to throw around...

if the joystick fails, that's pretty much it, right? i mean, it's fairly useless after that...

thoughts?

Hasn't ever failed on me, and I own an early MK1 model. I think the 100,000 press thing is pretty much just a number thrown out there by the manufacturers, it should last a lot longer than that.

Dawg posted on Mar 16 2007 at 04:27 PM said:
i'm reticent to spend 200$ on a device i know will fail... i just don't have that kind of money to throw around...

if the joystick fails, that's pretty much it, right? i mean, it's fairly useless after that...

Apart from the fact that every device will fail, eventually...

...Then, well, possibly it also depends on what you mean by "fail". And no, the machine isn't toast after that, even if we're talking complete failure (as in the switches break or whatever) - The part is, as far as I know, a standard part and not too difficult to replace for someone with a little soldering practice. By this I don't mean that you'd have to be able to solder to buy this, but rather that if it breaks, there's bound to be someone around here who can fix it for a fairly small amount of money.

It also depends greatly upon your style of play and your prefered usage. If you mostly play videos and every now and then plays som old classics, or if you like me mostly play very sedate stuff (RPGs, strategy games) every day on the train to and from work, it will of course keep up longer than someone who spends 8 hours a day playing street fighter and bullet hell shmups :)

In the end: The stick is OK. I have had no problems with it so far after over half a year of mostly an hour or more of playing each day (slightly more than half an hour commute to work :p ), but then again I'm an old man (34) playing slow games, and not prone to temper tantrums :) I'd say if you buy it now, and if the stick fails 1-2 years from now, I'd view the cost of replacing that as necessary maintenance. The device as such would be fine.

Mudi posted on Mar 16 2007 at 04:47 PM said:
Hasn't ever failed on me, and I own an early MK1 model. I think the 100,000 press thing is pretty much just a number thrown out there by the manufacturers, it should last a lot longer than that.

Nah, I think it is rated "minimum 100,000 presses", which means it will have quite a margin on that.

Also, since something is stirring in the back of my mind: Wasn't those 100,000 presses the rating for the stick click? Which a)isn't used very much, and b ) is rather expendable?

Dawg posted on Mar 16 2007 at 10:27 AM said:

thoughts?

Jeez, I thought I was a cautious, hesitant consumer.

Don't buy a GP2X. Save your $200. Invest in a bomb shelter. ;)

Dawg posted on Mar 16 2007 at 08:27 AM said:

thoughts?
The sticks are like $7, and they can be replaced.

saehn posted on Mar 16 2007 at 08:55 AM said:
Dawg posted on Mar 16 2007 at 10:27 AM said:

thoughts?

Don't buy a GP2X. Save your $200. Invest in a bomb shelter. ;)
I said, "don't let it stop you". It will be fine for some time, and a replacement is only $7 or so.

Check on the warranty and ask the distributor specifically, if it worries you choose the one with the best policy that is the closest so that you can send it back to them.

I didn't mean to start a big thing, it is just that I couldn't let anyone think that the stick is a "new improved" stick. It IS turned 45 degrees and that DOES make a a huge difference in the usability.

I can understand your reticence to purchase a $200 gadget. They were $30 cheaper before the joke that is the "value pack", sorry.

nubie posted on Mar 16 2007 at 11:54 AM said:
I said at "don't let it stop you". It will be fine for some time, and a replacement is only $7 or so.

Check on the warranty and ask the distributor specifically, if it worries you choose the one with the best policy that is the closest so that you can send it back to them.

I didn't mean to start a big thing, it is just that I couldn't let anyone think that the stick is a "new improved" stick. It IS turned 45 degrees and that DOES make a a huge difference in the usability.

Oh, I agree. I was just being facetious. It's a nice little bit of hardware, but it's not perfect. Dawg seems like he wants a 100% guarantee that no-one can really offer. Although, your warranty advice is good.

Don't buy a GP2X. Save your $200. Invest in a bomb shelter.

I said, "don't let it stop you". It will be fine for some time, and a replacement is only $7 or so.

ok, ok... i didn't realize the sticks were so easy to replace... i talked to one guy who tossed his system when the joystick broke... if it's fixable, i won't chuck it!!!

ok, so my mind is eased... thanks everyone so much

Matt aka Dawg
Las Vegas, NV (for now)

Hello
I haven't been posting for some time. I am a happy owner of a Gp32 166 mhz flu model.
I am thinking about buying a gp2x value pack. I was hoping that some one could tell me if there is something to be aware of like different models. I remember when i bought my gp32 a couple of month later, they upgraded the model to use back light lcd's and a higher possible clock speed with an even lower price tag.

not really, if ya buy a value pack, i believe its the latest modle, if you get one on ebay, then yeah ya do (since there the First Editions, MKI, and a few types of MKII) but yeah, get the value pack (you wont have to worry about a new model poppin up, or getting an old more flawed model)

claus posted on Mar 17 2007 at 06:21 AM said:
So i should go for the model marked MK2?

Just get anything new (IE not some used ebay thing) ant it will be an MK2. You will be fine then.

yes it is a MK2 (look at the joystick cap), but just get a value pack if you want anything, it will be the latest adn greatest MK2 and wont have to worry about getting an old one

Back