Potential for Linux-libre on the Pyra?

Well even if the blobs are nonfree, their inputs and outputs can be checked for stuff like that.

Well even if the blobs are nonfree, their inputs and outputs can be checked for stuff like that.

Not really.
How would you check the behaviour of a GPU related blob? Or a kernel driver?
Would the output depend on time? Maybe an audio driver starts keylogging only after one year?
There is a reason, security experts prefer to see the source and not a black box.

How would you check the behaviour of a GPU related blob? Or a kernel driver?
Check out the development history of the nouveau driver, they literally reverse engineered the proprietary driver by observing it as a black box, including writing their own free firmware.

Who owns these binary-blobs? Maybe it would be possible for the license to change them to a GPL-compatible license.

I had two events with my quite limited adventure with hardware:
1. We accidentally flashed firmware for 300dpi printer to 200dpi one. Printer started to work in 300dpi. Even barcodes are more clear. We popped a SRAM in, and we got a 300dpi model. There was a 50% price difference between 200 and 300dpi models.
2. One of the cheapest Samsung flat TVs. What does this "somethingPVRsomething" option in service mode do? Let's check. Turns video recording on USB drive on, while these TVs with "USB recording" support are more expensive.
Do you expect manufacturers would release the code and get losses?

I had two events with my quite limited adventure with hardware:
1. We accidentally flashed firmware for 300dpi printer to 200dpi one. Printer started to work in 300dpi. Even barcodes are more clear. We popped a SRAM in, and we got a 300dpi model. There was a 50% price difference between 200 and 300dpi models.
2. One of the cheapest Samsung flat TVs. What does this "somethingPVRsomething" option in service mode do? Let's check. Turns video recording on USB drive on, while these TVs with "USB recording" support are more expensive.
Do you expect manufacturers would release the code and get losses?

What you are seeing there are the effects of market segmentation. Segmentation is done to ensure that those who are willing to pay more do. If you look for it, you will see that same effect across multiple industries.

Back