Power-on Probs.

Borat

Still Fresh
Does anyone have real problems getting this unit (1.1.0) to actually switch on? I find that it can take 5 -10 attempts to get the thing to power up. With either batteries or 3V regulated PSU. Normally it's a white screen which gradually fades into coloured lines. Then after several attempts, it comes to life. That really sucks cheese!

Mine (1.1.0) is just okay.

Frankly, I believe the boot-up time is reduced, but not sure

@bmilleker: :lol: rocks. your engligh is quite good, though (at least better than me :) )

Received mine today and have a similar problem. I was impatient waiting for my Energizer batteries to charge, so I plopped in the batteries that it came with and it worked OK for about 3 minutes, at which point the device hung after about 10 seconds into an MP3.
I shut it down and tried restarting it, but it wouldn't get past the loading screen. I then inserted some standard batteries around the house and got the white screen that fades into lines.
I tried the pack-in batteries again, and it still hung at the loading screen, so I was getting nervous.
I went to a nearby store and purchased 2 Duracell Photobatteries. I returned home, the machine booted up ok for about 5 minutes and then died trying to play a video.
My 2500 MAH Energizer rechargables finished charging, so I plopped them directly into the unit, only to be greeted by the white screen.
Since then, the only batteries that get past the white screen are the pack-ins, amazingly enough.
I'm charging the other two Energizers now, but I am getting more unsure of the quality of the unit. I can understand < 1 hr life, but < 5 minute life from a top quality battery and an initial failure for some well rated rechargables doesn't bode well...

I'm off to a 24 hour Wal-mart to see if they have a decent DC Adapter...

*Edit* damn them! How many times do I have to make a trek down to Wal-Mart before I remember they close off there electronics section after midnight. I mean, hey while its important to have access to cheaply made furniture, clothes, toys, and power tools, only a raving loon would need something as esoteric as a print cartridge, battery, or power cable.

This all sounds very familiar ingrin! Even on a 3V PSU I get the scrambled screen. This is THE single biggest failure of this unit to date I believe.

still have 1.0.1, but I've had boot probs also where it hangs on the green screen. I find I usually have this prob just after I put my sd in. I have to wait at least 10 seconds before I power on after sd is put in. Not too big of a deal, but it's frustrating when I'm testing things or moving files with my reader/writer and try to swap the card back quickly. It usually doesn't scramble for me unless my batteries are low. Overall I'm happy...could be worse

Some people said they had to go to 4.5v to get it to go on. I would not recomned this though.

I wish my adapter would go to like 3.7v or something, it goes from 3v straight to 5v. No way in hell will I try 5v.

Borat, are you using a 'regulated' 3V PSU to keep the voltage consistant? I've heard that recommended on this board a few times...

Anyway, I bought a 3V 2500mAh adapter from Fry's and it works great. I haven't had any issues with it whatsoever. I used it to update my Firmware to 1.1.0, hoping it might address the battery issue, it hasn't.

Anyone else experienced a unit that eats Photo batteries like crazy and locks up (it won't even boot with 2500 mAh Energizers) but works fine with an adapter? I seem to remember a thread like this a week or so ago, but can't find it. I probably need to look harder...
*Edit*
Should I explore underclocking :( or would that even matter. I'm no EE major, i'm quite out of my element. I would hate to have to send the unit back, but the performance is just unbearable.

ingrin posted on Dec 28 2005 at 03:56 PM said:
Received mine today and have a similar problem. I was impatient waiting for my Energizer batteries to charge, so I plopped in the batteries that it came with and it worked OK for about 3 minutes, at which point the device hung after about 10 seconds into an MP3.
I shut it down and tried restarting it, but it wouldn't get past the loading screen. I then inserted some standard batteries around the house and got the white screen that fades into lines.
I tried the pack-in batteries again, and it still hung at the loading screen, so I was getting nervous.
I went to a nearby store and purchased 2 Duracell Photobatteries. I returned home, the machine booted up ok for about 5 minutes and then died trying to play a video.
My 2500 MAH Energizer rechargables finished charging, so I plopped them directly into the unit, only to be greeted by the white screen.
Since then, the only batteries that get past the white screen are the pack-ins, amazingly enough.
I'm charging the other two Energizers now, but I am getting more unsure of the quality of the unit. I can understand < 1 hr life, but < 5 minute life from a top quality battery and an initial failure for some well rated rechargables doesn't bode well...

I'm off to a 24 hour Wal-mart to see if they have a decent DC Adapter...

*Edit* damn them! How many times do I have to make a trek down to Wal-Mart before I remember they close off there electronics section after midnight. I mean, hey while its important to have access to cheaply made furniture, clothes, toys, and power tools, only a raving loon would need something as esoteric as a print cartridge, battery, or power cable.

I've got exactly the same problem. I'm trying 2500mah if they don't work I'm sending mine back.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi guys, had my unit (Firmware 1.0.1) for about a week now. It did this after an hour or so with the supplied batteries, and have been changing them every time this happens.

Tried it with a DC supply at 3v and 3.3v and nothing happened, not with batteries, without or what... how does the DC supply work? Is it on its own unique power supply lane?

I have the GP2X... with 1.01 firmware just received yesterday from GP32z.com and am having Power-on Probs. All I ever get is the vertical rainbow lines.

Anyone try Sharp 2300mAh batteries? I did a fresh charge of some almost new batteries, but I got the vertical rainbow lines. Then I did a purge and charge (ran the battery down to nothing), then still nothing.

I think 2300 mAh batteries should power this thing on!

I tried some other 2000mAh PowerEx batteries, and nothing.

I tried some Energizer e2 Hi-Capacity batteries meant for digital cameras, but nothing still.

Now, my last resort... I'm charging some new Energizer 2500 mAh batteries. Hope they work!!

The only thing that powered up my unit was the cheap Bexel batteries that came with it... but even then it only worked for 2 minutes.

This is not a good experience and I'm dying to try this thing!

Edit: I just tried the Energizer 2500 mAh and it doesn't work... same thing. I'm so disappointed in this thing.

Edit 2: Contacted GP32z via e-mail, they got back to me in about an hour and said it's probably a defective unit and to send it back for a replacement (of which they'd assure that it's perfect).

Back