Prboom Icon

thumpgun

Zombie club life member
Website
Visit site
can you change the prboom icon to for example a counterstrike icon for the pr boom counterstrike wad , or is the icon nailed down into the code and cant be changed ,im using skinspack 2.1, but i would think any skin would have the same prboom launch icon,,,just sick of having 4 pr boom icons on my menu :(

I'm not sure I understand you, but if you have 4 different .gpe files, each one to run a certain wad, then it's just a matter of having a .png file with the same name in the same place:
For example

boomCS.gpe
boomCS.png
boomFistful.gpe
boomFistful.png

and son on.

I'm not sure I understand you, but if you have 4 different .gpe files, each one to run a certain wad, then it's just a matter of having a .png file with the same name in the same place:
For example

boomCS.gpe
boomCS.png
boomFistful.gpe
boomFistful.png

and son on.
there isnt a multiple wad selector for doom wads, so every wad needs its own prboom to launch it :(

Last edited by a moderator:
You don't NEED multiple copies of prboom installed just to run seperate WAD's... you can instead write a script for each WAD, and then the script will show up in the menu. You kind of need to know how to write Unix shell scripts in order to do this, but here's the gist of it:
Code:
#!/bin/bash
./prboom -iwad doom2.wad -file filename.wad > prboom.log.txt 2>&1
sync

cd /usr/gp2x/
./gp2xmenu
If you paste that text into a text file (with Unix line endings) named "Filename.gpe", then you'll get an icon in your menu with the name "Filename", which will attempt to start prBoom using filename.wad, with Doom 2 as the base. Basically all you'd have to do is change "filename.wad" to whatever the filename is for the WAD you want to use, and save the script with a different filename, and boom, you effectively have a seperate program without wasting a bunch of space.

I use scripts like this on my SD card so that I can run Ultimate Doom, Doom 2, and Final Doom easily. I've never tried the Counterstrike mod, but if it uses extra stuff like Dehacked patches and such, then you need to add other stuff to the command line in the script.

--Zero

You don't NEED multiple copies of prboom installed just to run seperate WAD's... you can instead write a script for each WAD, and then the script will show up in the menu. You kind of need to know how to write Unix shell scripts in order to do this, but here's the gist of it:
Code:
#!/bin/bash
./prboom -iwad doom2.wad -file filename.wad > prboom.log.txt 2>&1
sync

cd /usr/gp2x/
./gp2xmenu
If you paste that text into a text file (with Unix line endings) named "Filename.gpe", then you'll get an icon in your menu with the name "Filename", which will attempt to start prBoom using filename.wad, with Doom 2 as the base. Basically all you'd have to do is change "filename.wad" to whatever the filename is for the WAD you want to use, and save the script with a different filename, and boom, you effectively have a seperate program without wasting a bunch of space.

I use scripts like this on my SD card so that I can run Ultimate Doom, Doom 2, and Final Doom easily. I've never tried the Counterstrike mod, but if it uses extra stuff like Dehacked patches and such, then you need to add other stuff to the command line in the script.

--Zero
being thick as sh*t , any other ideas

Are you using GMENU2X as a frontend for you GP2X? If you are then you can edit the icon for each (highlight and press select then choose the correct menu command) and then change the icon.

Otherwise, you need to rename the icon file to foo.png where you are launching foo.gpe to start PRBOOM for a given WAD file (as Lobo said earlier).

You really should learn from ZERO though. It will save you a lot of disk space.

PS - go here instead:
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=33120

It would be pretty difficult to make a decent wad selector, as many of the best modifications out there have multiple wad files, and dehacked patches and such. The gmenu2x method looks good, but it only works in gmenu2x, whereas writing shell scripts for each wad would likely end up working in pretty much any menu program (including the built-in menus).

It seems hard and time consuming, but it's really pretty simple, and once you do two or three of them, it'll just become copy-and-paste to make more. In order to get things right, you might find it easier to actually install prboom on your computer, and try starting it via the command line. Once you have a command line that works on your computer, you know it'll work on the GP2X as well.

--Zero

Back