Preorder / Payment / Paypal

crasherball

hi, I was just wondering about the pre-order (starting either 15th or 30th - whatever)

lets say preoder starts on 15th of september
and I preorder via paypal.

do I have to pay right away?
meaning: do I have to have the money on preorder-day?
or will it be witdrawn on the actual release-date - in november

That's kind of the definition of a preorder. It's an order made in advance. Just like when you order anything else, you have to pay for it at the time of order. Some preorder systems allow you to pay less than full, but you still need to put down something to prove you're serious about coming back for it. As far as I know, OpenPandora is not one of those systems, and you'll be expected to have the full amount at preorder

WizardStan said:
That's kind of the definition of a preorder. It's an order made in advance. Just like when you order anything else, you have to pay for it at the time of order.
no pre-orders ive ever made have worked like that.

usually with pre-orders you give them your details and they take the payment the day it ships.
its not 'normal' to pay for it so far in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Correct, pre-orders work in different ways, but Craig has already stated that the full amount will be needed when you are pre-ordering, which lends itself nicely to my question of, IF the 3000 are pre-sold within say a couple of weeks, will the next 3000 be ordered before the shipping date of mid November using the money from the pre-orders, or won't they get another batch ordered and despatched until after xmas In case of dodgy 3000 units and 3000 refunds need fulfilling?!

If preorders are opened to forumers before the 30th, I will not be able to get order then. I pray I'll be able to order with the forum (should there be an earlier date for us) and pay on the 30th, but it probably will not happen, as it is much easier to keep track of just paid orders then it is to keep track of both unpaid orders and paid orders.

gibberish said:
WizardStan said:
That's kind of the definition of a preorder. It's an order made in advance. Just like when you order anything else, you have to pay for it at the time of order.

usually with pre-orders you give them your details and they take the payment the day it ships.

Where are you and what have you preordered that didn't require any payment? There may be differences there. I'm in Canada, and everything I've preordered have required at least some payment ($5 usually), though I always pay the full amount because it's just easier. My experience only extends to books, movies, and video games though.

WizardStan said:
gibberish said:
WizardStan said:

Where are you and what have you preordered that didn't require any payment? There may be differences there. I'm in Canada, and everything I've preordered have required at least some payment ($5 usually), though I always pay the full amount because it's just easier. My experience only extends to books, movies, and video games though.

Well you guys are both right in a way. Most offline pre-orders require some amount to be paid up front, whereas most online pre-orders I have made just require your paypal account or credit card number, and then they promise not to charge you until your item ships.

-God Ginrai

Well, being that the pandora being released by such a small "company" - I'm willing to prepay in full (never expected to wait) to help offset some of the probably huge upfront costs they and the investors have had to pay to get this thing rolling.

socket said:
Well, being that the pandora being released by such a small "company" - I'm willing to prepay in full (never expected to wait) to help offset some of the probably huge upfront costs they and the investors have had to pay to get this thing rolling.
Agreed.

-God Ginrai

I seem to remember CraigIX once saying that the production cost of the first run of GP2Xs was paid for by preorders, which implies to me that they will be doing the same with Pandora.

It seems a bit much to expect a very small company, who've paid who knows how much (but I'm guessing a lot) already or R&D, to magic up another quarter of a million (or whatever) for production.

God Ginrai said:
socket said:
Agreed.

-God Ginrai

Same here. My father says that It'd be too risky for him (in case craigIX and his crew go bankrupt before the thing ships (sorta like with atari)), but I'm optimistic

They'll get my money.

However, they won't get all of my money. That way, if Craig & Co decide to pull a fast one on us, I'll have some left to hand over to a couple of strapping, flat-headed and unimaginative youths with specific orders to go find them and break every non-essential bone in their thieving carcasses.

It wouldn't be the first time either... (notice no smileys here)

Karel Jansens said:
They'll get my money.

However, they won't get all of my money. That way, if Craig & Co decide to pull a fast one on us, I'll have some left to hand over to a couple of strapping, flat-headed and unimaginative youths with specific orders to go find them and break every non-essential bone in their thieving carcasses.

internet is serial bidnez

silvercroc said:
Karel Jansens said:
They'll get my money.

internet is serial bidnez

*nods* super serial.

-God Ginrai

God Ginrai said:
Agreed. Most offline pre-orders require some amount to be paid up front, whereas most online pre-orders I have made just require your paypal account or credit card number, and then they promise not to charge you until your item ships.
Most online video game / book / music pre-orders in UK take the payment immediately prior to shipping. This is different. They would need capital of £300,000-£500,000 (depending on actual cost) to produce 3000 units, and that's assuming they don't have anything that they have to buy, say, 5000 of.

if you want to be protected against any retailer going under (and they wont, but seeing as the topic has been raised...), pay with a credit card.

You then get the protection of the consumer credit laws on your side, which in the UK are pretty good. Can't swear for other countries, but if something doesn't turn up or isn't as described then the provider of the credit (the card issuer) is responsible and you get your money back.

If paying in full is needed to preorder, I'll be paying in full. (With a credit card ;) )

If you pay with a CC, then you normally get 30 - 60 days of free credit before they ask you for money. So you might have it before you've paid for it in some cases.

Well I've got my money ready and I would not mind to pay for the preorder but the payment-question still isn't answered.
Which payment methods will there be?
Only creditcard and Paypal or also the old fashioned money transfer?
( because I have neither a creditcard nor a Paypal-account :huh: )

p.s. Can't wait for the real thing! :)

Back