Preorders

I'll order it when it is listed in the gp2x shop.
I believe that the orders will exceed 3000 before the 1st series is manufactured. Hopefully there won't be a need to produce 3000 units and sell them afterwards. Producing and selling can happen simultaniously and new hardware revisions can be introduced seamlessly.

Hirolaser said:
craigix said:
We will send out a newsletter to the people on the mailing list on the openpandora homepage saying 'you can now order' and then they can. The emails will go out in the order people signed up to the mailing list.

First come first served.
seriously? So you won't be able to preorder straight from the website then?

Yes it will be on the website but people on the mailing list will have that slight head start.

Last edited by a moderator:
craigix said:
Hirolaser said:
craigix said:
We will send out a newsletter to the people on the mailing list on the openpandora homepage saying 'you can now order' and then they can. The emails will go out in the order people signed up to the mailing list.

First come first served.
seriously? So you won't be able to preorder straight from the website then?

Yes it will be on the website but people on the mailing list will have that slight head start.

Just out of curiousity how many people have signed up so far?

craigix said:

First come first served.
Does that list include people already on your gbax mailing list (ie the one that let me know about the Pandora in the first place)? Or should I go sign up for the openpandora mailing list as well to ensure I can grab myself a Pandora?

craigix said:
Yeah but start the ordering at 9am on a Saturday morning with a direct link from the newsletter, firstly the people who subscribe will get first shot and most of America will be asleep! :lol:

craigix said:

First come first served.
._.
I've been checking the website and forums religiously but I didn't sign up for the newsletter because of this line on the Developers tab on openpandora.org:

"Book mark this page and add your email address to the mailing list to know when to place your order."

I assumed the only reason to sign up was if I was a developer, since I read all the news on the website right after it happens anyway.

I am conflicted of whether to preorder- risk possible hardware issues and disappointment's, or to get it afterwards, when I know its safe- wait several more months.

(screw that, I'll get it immediately)

PoisonedV said:
I am conflicted of whether to preorder- risk possible hardware issues and disappointment's, or to get it afterwards, when I know its safe- wait several more months.
The devs are using their mystical powers to detect hardware issues right now. That's what the first batch is for.

craigix said:
We will send out a newsletter to the people on the mailing list on the openpandora homepage...
I never received newsletter from oenpandora website, even about blog update, but registration says that I am already registered. So i do not know, if none newsletter sended or spamfilter acted. I cannot check spamfilter, due to deleting out old spam.

I'll be glad to receive some check email and get info about it on blog page, or if some "send test email" button apear on website.

Peca,

I signed up long ago for the Pandora mailing list, but haven't received a newsletter either. I don't think there has been one yet. I think he means it will be sent out when pre-order time comes.

atomicthumbs said:
PoisonedV said:
The devs are using their mystical powers to detect hardware issues right now. That's what the first batch is for.

Yeah, but I mean, look at commercial consoles. They are heavily tested and bugs still come up.

No matter how thoroughly they test it, you can be sure there will be a bug. It's not the end of the world. I can live with a few bugs if I get one months sooner than if I waited for the second batch. I'm sure there will be updates and such to fix bugs, anyway.

perhaps we let people pre order then add (arbitrary number) on to that? also as a newbie I'm against the forum age thing...

People shouldn't worry _too_ much about getting one of the first 3000. They're producing a decent amount, and the chances of someone on these forums being beaten to get one by someone who saw it or something on Engadget is slim. Most of the people who have seen it on other websites and are seriously interested in it are probably now members of these forums. There are about 15000 users on these forums, and if 1 out of every 5 people on here gets one (not very likely), then that will be the first batch of 3000.

javaJake said:
You assume everyone interested in the Pandora has signed up for an account. Not very likely. ;)
True, but seeing that it's a community project and users would like to have an effect on its development, most people who will end up buying one of the first 3000 are members of the forums. Again, it's just a rough estimate, but chances are that anyone who is a member of these forums will, if they so desire, be able to get one of the first 3000.

How many GP2Xs have been sold? 50000? 100000? Over 5+ years, that's still quite a few. The Pandora will primarily be purchased by members of a pool about that size, so I can't see how more than 3000 would be sold in the first few weeks. As long as you don't miss the preorder by like a month or something, I'm sure you can get one.

Back