Some Clarifications On Pre-Orders

Yeah, that CD suggestion was scary. Reeked of, well, bad stuff :(

The Pandora project seems to be having a "crisis of faith" issue at the moment, and I think it's mostly down to that thread (or that thread sparked it). I think to be its best the project needs maximum support, but it's easy to see people being more leery of paying cash up front with no protection now.

Chip said:
Any really important information (things a customer needs to act on) about the refunds and reordering has been sent via email.

Chip, you really get this one sooo wrong every time. Important info is not sent by email. I have yet to receive an email telling me that my pre-order has been refunded - I had to mail them myself to find that one out.

Now some bloke on a forum tells everyone that Creditcard orders are impossible - but I know different; the reply I got to my email stated quite clearly that they will be available in the future. I don't know about you, but I'm not going to take the word of some bloke on a forum - I'll keep my pre-order position until I get an email from OpenPandora to the contrary. And I'm damned well not mailing them again - they have enough on their plates without my whining at them.

I'm sure that with all this excellent communication you're banging on about, it's just a matter of time before they get back to me, yes?

D.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dunny said:
I'm sure that with all this excellent communication you're banging on about, it's just a matter of time before they get back to me, yes?
Yes.

kin said:
I almost read everything. But I really don't understand why people get angry because of the banking problem. Well it's not the dev's fault?
Who is to blame for what and why is a little bit up in the air - we're hearing several sides of the problem, but not the banks. We've heard part of OpenPandora's side (but craig won't OK full disclosure for whatever - probably valid - reasons). We've also heard speculation, from pretty much all directions but mostly pro Pandora (though a few posts have recently been made which point out that banking regulations and behaviour are supposed to be pre-documented and based on some kind of business acumen).

The way I see it is that mostly the customers are neither anti-bank (I could write a whole other thread there!) or anti-OpenPandora (or Craig or Chip or...) but they are PRO themselves. I know for myself that once I want something I REALLY want it, not a promise of it or a sniff of a delivery date. So any "negative" posts you see I perceive as being fired by a desire to hold a Pandora in their hands NOW!!!

I know that, for example, my wife has ordered one of these as a late Birthday present for me (my birthday is in September). That changed to an early Christmas present then a Christmas present then a late Christmas present (which it currently still is, officially). Although the way delays have stacked up I keep worrying that it will be an early birthday present again... just for a different year :(

A problem witht he forums is the signal-to-noise ratio. If 5 people shout "angry" then 15 people - with no greater claim to access to the facts - shout "Rubbish!" back at them, angrily - and we have the potential right there for a full-on flame war. Some of the manners I've seen used when addressing people with different concerns has been really quite eye-opening - and not in a good way. I haven't noticed this kind of vehemence on the boards before, personally.

If the pro-Pandora customers (possibly myself) gave Chip more room/time to reply, rather than diving in head first, things might be calmer. But the immediacy of the Internet is actually a problem here, giving us all room to vent our own pet theories, memories of which become embedded in our heads as "The Truth" and affecting later posts by others until we have a snowball of misinformation and confusion :(

kin said:
I almost read everything. But I really don't understand why people get angry because of the banking problem. Well it's not the dev's fault?

I have the impression that most people argue about the same probs all the time, making multiple threads about money which makes me wonder if they've took the effort to read and look for info or not.

I can't see where the communication of the devteam had failed.
Just one example - We've only just learned that the LCD screens were not there because of an inability to pay for them, though for a long time it was explicitly said it was because the supplier was letting them down.

kin said:
Like I described in my previous post... sigh.
The information is available but yet, they failed to search.

kin you shoud try reading what people post, read what i described in my previous post... sigh.

That information was not available as far as I am aware and Chip has replied to part of my message but hasnt pointed out where the info was before ED's post.

Not all the info has been available but now it IS thinks are much clearer and improved.

kin said:
Monk said:
Sorry :(

I've read so much that my head's in a spin :( Don't know who wrote what or when!

? no, I was refering to Dunny not you lol.

I'm so eager to be pleasant I'm even willing to apologise for apologising inappropriately! I'm sorry ;)

There's a serious side to this post though - it'd be really cool if we could go out of our way to be pleasant and understanding rather than... well, you've seen what certain threads have looked like. That's not productive. I'm sure that IRL such conversations would be much more civil (lest fisticuffs break out! :lol: )

Chip said:
ED's post obviously helped to clear things up for those of you who haven't really been paying attention
Once again you miss the point.

A number people here, have today, reiterated that they feel ED's BLOG post was brilliant and timely, and have asked that this be done on a more frequent basis and in THE BLOG as well as drip feeds in the forum.

Why don't you just see that this is being what your customers WANT and say "oh, ok no problem, you are the customer we'll do that for you"?

Instead you just say nope, pay attention, search the forums, we'll do it our way. Groan. :(

I wish ED had the time to handle this, he seems far more willing to appease, rather than just 'tell us off' or say 'like it or lump it'! :(

calzone said:
Chip said:
ED's post obviously helped to clear things up for those of you who haven't really been paying attention

A number people here, have today, reiterated that they feel ED's BLOG post was brilliant and timely, and have asked that this be done on a more frequent basis and in THE BLOG as well as drip feeds in the forum.

Why don't you just see that this is being what your customers WANT and say "oh, ok no problem, you are the customer we'll do that for you"?

Instead you just say nope, pay attention, search the forums, we'll do it our way. Groan. :(

I wish ED had the time to handle this, he seems far more willing to appease, rather than just 'tell us off' or say 'like it or lump it'! :(

Dude while I can agree with some of your points - you promised us a few pages back that you will be asking for a refund and coming back in a few months --> stick to what you said

calzone said:
TaG said:
@calzone I understand why you do not want to risk £200. I understand a number of your concerns, but please... give it a rest, you've made your point, declared yourself out. Stop filling these boards up.

No probs. I'll come back in June with my credit card in hand.
Enjoy the next four months of delays.

So be it - please let us enjoy the delays --> See you in JUNE!!!

We shouldn't drive away anyone. You are welcome, regardless of your opinion :)
I don't want to spend my time in a forum consisting mostly of fanbois.

Point taken

Was not trying to cause offence

Its just @calzone seems to have vented his anger at several of us in the forums - labelling us as Fanboys, he may have justifiable claims about lack of communication, but then said he was leaving only to come back with more complaints, this time about Chip.

It was kinda sounding like a whole heap of negative anxiety, he's leaving, he's getting a refund, then he's back

Your right Mali everyone has a right to express their views no matter how annoying

I hope we can finally make a new start now, and enjoy our future dream handheld. If ED continues to take the time to post more gory details on the blog now and then, it will please both enthusiasts and critics :)

Well.. like I mentioned on other thread,
to me it's nothing but an inflating airbaloon with capital P for paranoid.

Lol so I'm very anxious to use my toothpick on that. :p

It's time to be more sensitive now. Labeling the situation paranoid doesn't help. Every potential re-orderer has to be treated like he deserves it: Respectful!

calzone said:
Chip said:

well said, thankyou.

chip, i read these god forsaken forums every day and there were things in eds post that i have never read before on here. i should not have to scour every nook and cranny of the forum to find new information, it should be given to us and it should be clear, precise, frequent and ACCURATE. dont forget, we are funding this project - do it the way we want it or prepare for growing distrust and restlessness on these forums at best... at worst prepare to have hundreds of people pull out and hinder the continuation of the project. frequent posts like eds are what is required to keep most everybody under control and patient. the inconvenience of having to search the forums for scraps of probably inaccurate information are what make people begin to distrust you and pull out.

Don't forget the words now:

[singing] I feel pretty / oh, so pretty / oh, so pretty and witty and...

Back