Some Clarifications On Pre-Orders

craigix

Mega GP Mania
Website
twitter.com
Exophase was just chatting to me and suggested I make this post to clear up some things.

Preorders - we need preorders to pay for the manufacturing costs of the Pandora. I don't think we have claimed we had enough money to cover the first batch without preorders, I'm not sure where this has come from, possibly because we have said we have paid for the parts, but parts do not = manufacturing costs.

If we could cover the manufacture we would have never needed a preorder system.

Preorders also paid for the GP2X for those of you who remember the run up to that, however the banks were happy to let it happen with credit cards back then.

So soon we will have a cut off date and then manufacture the Pandoras paid for to that point. We don't really have a choice in this, it's the only way forward which will work in a safe way.

The final prototype Pandora (ie the last one before mass production) will be shown before the cut off date :)

craigix said:
The final prototype Pandora (ie the last one before mass production) will be shown before the cut off date :)
Thanks craigix - that last line could be the clincher for many. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
This make me happy about paying the extra fee for a bank transfer, at least i'll get one for certain :)

So ppl, if you have enough confidence, transfer and get yours early! ;)

how many pre-orders do you need to cover the cost of manufacturing tho? Do you have enough pre-orders already to cover at least the majority of the batch? Also us google checkout re-order-ers are totally in the clear, correct?

Srry for the block of questions, just some things i was wondering. i'm sure yer quite tired of them. Tnx for taking the time 2 clarify.

craigix said:
Thanks a million :D . Will this prototype be fully functional, i.e OS, running emulators etc? Because if it will be, then it will seal the deal.

I suppose this means that it won't be possible to purchase orders from people who didn't re-preorder?

MDave said:
Don't forget Exophase also suggested you tell everyone the cut-off date! :p

craigix said:
ie no specific date, but you will see the final prototype first (which I think is the best bit for calming nerves)

Oh, and this post by craigix is such a good idea (and necessary) I want to big up Exophase too.

Can I politely request that the cut off date be made known within the week?

danjh0 said:
you want a cut-off date for the cut-off date?

lol, j/k

+1

Consequence9 said:
danjh0 said:
you want a cut-off date for the cut-off date?

I would like a deadline for when the cut-off date for the announcement of the cut-off date for Pandora ordering will be. :D

I'm not sure it has changed drastically from the roadmap. Maybe by the end of next week.

danjh0 said:

You can politely request anything you like. But I answered it 4 posts before yours.

Roughly translated, they will not start mass production until they are ready. At that point they will have shown you the final prototype, and then shortly afterwards cut off orders. This means they can keep the pre-orders open as long as possible.
edit:typo

I wonder how long until we get another 'transferz' thread going on? Lets have a poll about that........my stab is another 2 hours........by the time I get home from work tomorrow I expect to see at least 6000 replies to this thread!

TaG said:
danjh0 said:

You can politely request anything you like. But I answered it 4 posts before yours.

Roughly translated, they will not start mass production until they are ready. At that point they will have shown you the final prototype, and then shortly afterwards cut off orders. This means they can keep the pre-orders open as long as possible.
edit:typo

Err..no. You didn't answer my question - if you had have done, I would now have a definite cut off date. As it stands, I'm no better off.

Back