Preparing For The Pandora Media Blitz

mazza558

As we all know, there is a possibility that the Pandora might actually be released at some point before this May, and there will be lots of media attention on the dev team themselves, especially if the Pandora really is the first ARM UMPC/thingy out there. Whilst the dev team will probably be busy talking to the press, organising interviews and generally asking questions (and that's ignoring the organisation of future batches, distribution, etc), the rest of us will be able to give first-hand (albeit biased) opinions of the device and spread it around the Internet. Here's a few ideas on what we could do. Most of these are obvious, but hopefully you'll gain some knowledge:

- Digg - The popular social news site, which luckily has a technological slant (given that Digg started with just tech news). The best thing to do is wait for an article from the mainstream tech blogs (Engadget), and post it on Digg. If such an article reaches the front page, this'll boost popularity massively. Remember that 2.5 million+ users use Digg, and you can bet that only a tiny fraction know about the Pandora. One thing to note is not to spam the comments section with generic comments that sounds like advertising, such as "woo, got my Pandora today, it's awesome". In a Digg user's eye, this is pretty much the worst thing you could do.

- Word of mouth - If you've been talking about the Pandora among friends recently, stop now, and save it for when there is something substantial to show, or even better, when you have it in your hands. The more you talk about it, the more they'll get suspicious when you reluctantly tell then that "oh, it's been delayed a bit". Secondly, be passive rather than active. If you're on public transport, turn it on and start playing something awesome like a HD video or some 3D demo. It's subtle, but you're not exactly preaching to anyone. Thirdly, be honest. If one thing doesn't work yet, say so - if they end up buying one because you've made it out to be better than it actually, is, they're going to hate you for it.

- Blog - If you have your own, mention it in your blog. Of course, those on the unofficial blog team don't need to do anything, but this is still good advice.

- Forums Mention it on your favourite forums, and see how people react to it. Answer any questions that people have about it.

That'll do for now.

- Word of mouth - If you've been talking about the Pandora among friends recently, stop now, and save it for when there is something substantial to show, or even better, when you have it in your hands. The more you talk about it, the more they'll get suspicious when you reluctantly tell then that "oh, it's been delayed a bit". Secondly, be passive rather than active. If you're on public transport, turn it on and start playing something awesome like a HD video or some 3D demo. It's subtle, but you're not exactly preaching to anyone. Thirdly, be honest. If one thing doesn't work yet, say so - if they end up buying one because you've made it out to be better than it actually, is, they're going to hate you for it.

The first rule of Pandora is: "you do not talk about Pandora"

lol sorry couldn't resist :)

Decent advice, particularly on the Digg comments. Fanboy spam is not a good look. Well thought out, constructive comments are better. Oh, and user comment flame wars: No. Some idiot will always say "gaaaaaaay, get a PSP" - so let them. It's an internet article, not the frontline of a great battle to save the honour of Pandora. Anyone who gives a shit will click through to the official site and find out for themself anyway.

Personally, I put a stop on all word of mouth & forum postings in November. There was interest initially, but it became like flogging a horse before the gate had opened. And nobody likes mixed metaphors.

When I've got the goods, I'll take my own photos and videos, and the flogging will resume.

All good advice.

mazza558 said:
As we all know, there is a possibility that the Pandora might actually be released at some point before this May [...]
Just wondering, is this the official ETA of the Pandora? I haven't really been paying attention lately.

Last edited by a moderator:
TyBO! said:
Just wondering, is this the official ETA of the Pandora? I haven't really been paying attention lately.
Yep! Check the official site for the latest news update (on the home page). And stay tuned to the community blog (link in my sig) for daily news.

may? what the hell happened there? the last i heard it was going to be somewhere around late feb early march?

Hmm. I answered Tybo's question without it sinking in that Mazza said May. Forgive my muddly head.

According to the "mini road map", late Feb is a reasonable estimate. I think Mazza is just playing waay on the safe side. :)

Joystiq: Get the pandora! It's awesome!
Gizmodo: Don't get the pandora! It's garbage!

Shadow of Chaos said:
PoisonedV said:
Joystiq: Get the pandora! It's awesome!
Gizmodo: Don't get the pandora! It's garbage!
o rly?

under what argument?

Sorry, I meant endadget. Anyway, I think Gizmodo is just siding with the Wiz and dissing the pandora because Engadget picked up on the pandora beforehand, and they are the main competition.

I think that comment about Gizmondo and Endgadget is a wee bit unfair

I think the more of us that spread the word, whether it be by forum posts, own blogs, YouTube videos (when we get our :pandora1: that is!) the better

To spread the word at this point write to the editorial publishers like I did way back in October I think i must have sent emails to over 50 of them from IT sections of National newspapers to actual computer publications as well as a whole heap of on-line blogs.

The more awareness now the better, if loads of people write in either expressing how good it's going to be or wanting more information then the publishers will take note and act accordingly.

In an ideal world the Devs should send out review devices after the initial batch have been shipped, this would allow for a phased approach where the press can see the community getting behind the device, developing/coding apps and see the device in its various forms (pure emulation/games/PDA/UMPC/etc)

====
gp32_console + :gp2x and soon a :pandora1:

http://www.gp2xwizandpandora.blogspot.com/

now as someone who actually promotes the pandora and has sent the news to many of the worlds biggest sites i would pay no attention to mindless comments on sites, its the true forums like this where you get a better point of view.

On actual release i have around 50 of the worlds biggest sites who i use to contact and get the news known, sadly the last time i did it and masses of sites posted it, it killed this site, the pandora site and even my dcemu network with the sheer amount of visitors, so onnce the console is truly released it should have a massive following

Back