Preventing More Delays (sd License)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just going by what Craig said was in the email. He probably hasn't bothered to reply and find out what the REAL costs are.

BTW, I don't see Gamepark Holdings in that list at all. It annoys me the way some companies get singled out and others go on for years paying nothing. That list would be 50 pages long if most companies actually followed their rules.

Last edited by a moderator:
'MWeston' said:
I'm just going by what Craig said was in the email. He probably hasn't bothered to reply and find out what the REAL costs are.

BTW, I don't see Gamepark Holdings in that list at all. It annoys me the way some companies get singled out and others go on for years paying nothing. That list would be 50 pages long if most companies actually followed their rules.

Yeah most small shops in the east somehow get below the radar because cost just because they are are silent, i.e. no one heard of them.

'MWeston' said:
One of the disadvantages of going public with Pandora's development. Had Pandora not been so open this never would have been an issue and just like GPH could have gone under the radar and avoided all the licenceing costs that are sure to come.

'spaceballs3000' said:
Yeah most small shops in the east somehow get below the radar because cost just because they are are silent, i.e. no one heard of them.

However, according to SDCard.org, if you attempt to import and sell one of those units, you must become a member of SDCard.org and execute a "hala" agreement if you don't have one already:

[quote from an email sent to the company I work for]
"A license is required if your company is planning to make, have made, design, use, offer for sale, import or export any products supporting sd host"

I don't know exactly how this works, I assume that if you try and sell a device where the developer doesn't have an license agreement with SDCard.org, then whoever decides to sell the device needs one?

It can't mean the literal interpretation, as you wouldn't have the manufacturer, distributor, and retail shops all needing hala agreements. That would be insane.

"A license is required if your company is planning to make, have made, design, use, offer for sale, import or export any products supporting sd host"

Yes that would be insane, I pretty sure (not 100%) that it applies only to manufacture and Dev people making the device to ship (import, export, sale, design, etc..), not distributor, Retail end of things.

'Phawx' said:
'DigitalWings' said:
'Phawx' said:
I guess. But they are only a small team. It''s not like they have hundreds of members where it might not be pertinent for 100% to know. There are only eight<?from the main page> main people that have a vested interest in getting the Pandora of the ground. Shouldn''t all communication go to every member?

Mweston seems to have summed up all the details in one sentence. It''s not like it was a ton of details, but if I was in a group like that, I would think that communication would be paramount.
Thats idiotic logic. And whos to say they hadn't all heard it summed up in one sentence. I mean as you said theres only 8 of them and it takes A LOT of work to do what they have done. As soon as the hear something is taken care of they forget about it.
To tell everyone on the forum every single thing they had to do to get pandora off the ground would waste time they don't have.

@DigitalWings

Look at post #48. I orginally said ED may have forgot with all the stuff that was happening. Vorporeal had suggested that I had interpreted it wrong. And I wasn't saying for OP to tell us everything. I mean, if we ask a question, I would hope it gets answered. I meant for communication between JUST the eight of them.

I hope that clarified that for you.

@MWeston

So Fatih is getting everything shipped to him. But why didn't he just ship you the unit that came to him on March 9th? This way, the only thing you would be waiting on would be the lightpipes. Or would the delay be the same regardless?

For f*cks sake, people! There is no need for MWeston et al to tell us every little detail of every little thing that they do! They do not need to explain to us why they ship something this way or that, or whether they've gotten tid form of the licence for the thingamaboob or whatever. The original posters question was reasonable, as a heads up if this should hav fallen between chairs. This question has been answered. The rest is f*in unreasonable.

I have a five year old. He also does this. "Daddy, why didja put the phone on the left ear? Why is it not on the other? Why did you call mom? What are you talking to her about? What do you mean you can't hear what she's saying? Why should I be silent?", but then again, that goes with the age.

^^ LOL. A suggestion to stem such preschoolery: Everyone go out and buy themselves some new electronic gadget to hold them over until the OP gets delivered.

Point and case: I bought an ipod touch and now I get to figure out why the date and time keeps setting itself to random times. Apparently, it's been an issue since 2007 and Apple has yet to do anything about it.

'spaceballs3000' said:
Has SD License been paid yet? As I don't see "OpenPandora Ltd." on CODE
http://www.sdcard.org/developers/about/member_companies/general]http://www.sdcard.org/developers/about/mem...mpanies/general

I don't see Nintendo, Microsoft, and Sony on that either. And yet Sega is on that list.

'Moxie' said:
For f*cks sake, people! There is no need for MWeston et al to tell us every little detail of every little thing that they do! They do not need to explain to us why they ship something this way or that, or whether they've gotten tid form of the licence for the thingamaboob or whatever. The original posters question was reasonable, as a heads up if this should hav fallen between chairs. This question has been answered. The rest is f*in unreasonable.

I have a five year old. He also does this. "Daddy, why didja put the phone on the left ear? Why is it not on the other? Why did you call mom? What are you talking to her about? What do you mean you can't hear what she's saying? Why should I be silent?", but then again, that goes with the age.
:D If this forum had rep points, I'd be hammering your + button.

'Moxie' said:

First, I'll apologize if I overstepped my bounds. I do not wish to know everything. Just the major stuff. This issue tacked on another 2-3 week delay. The only thing I wanted to know was if it would have mattered if it went directly to Mweston. I'll assume it would not have mattered. And even if it did, the damage is already done, so there is no reason to answer at all. I should have come to that conclusion myself.

I'll leave my concerns and questions at the door. It will eventually get to us anyhow.

Once again, sorry if I stepped on anyone"s toes. My mind was getting carried away with the all variables.

'Nightwheel' said:
'spaceballs3000' said:
Has SD License been paid yet? As I don't see "OpenPandora Ltd." on CODE
http://www.sdcard.org/developers/about/member_companies/general]http://www.sdcard.org/developers/about/mem...mpanies/general

I don't see Nintendo, Microsoft, and Sony on that either. And yet Sega is on that list.
Really big companies have their own special agreement with SD, I know this.

White Flame said:
OP is not staffed by a bunch of business noobs. Give them some credit. Sheesh.
I tried. Didn't work. Cash, cheque, and bank transfer only.

'WizardStan' said:
'White Flame' said:
OP is not staffed by a bunch of business noobs. Give them some credit. Sheesh.
I tried. Didn't work. Cash, cheque, and bank transfer only.

CODE
http://www.instantrimshot.com/

i friggin hate the nickeling and diming in this industry.

everybody is trying to pull a fcukin gif/rambus on everybody else.

sdcard.org can go to hell for all care, together with their standard. i am sticking to cf, vga and display port.

'darkblu' said:
i friggin hate the nickeling and diming in this industry.

everybody is trying to pull a fcukin gif/rambus on everybody else.

sdcard.org can go to hell for all care, together with their standard. i am sticking to cf, vga and display port.
I'm guessing that means that DVI and HDMI are also owned by some company somewhere?
Well, those aren't great standards anyway.

'spaceballs3000' said:
"Why would you think that is the case?"

There were posts about SD Logo stuffs, yet you, craigix, etc didn't say anything about it. I even PM craigix and gotten no response.

With the lack of notifying anyone when people are talking about it on the forums, would suggest to others that it hasn't been done. FCC/CE etc was mentioned but not SD.

Also announcing SD Licensing would just make Pandora look more official to customers, there is no negative thing that can come from announcing it.
FCC/CE is something that still needs to be done and will take time between now and the release date, so it is good to know about it. SD licensing is something that it seems has been already taken care of, and even if they haven't already paid (I don't know when one is supposed to do so: start of sales?) I hope that even with related burocracy it won't take much, won't require a pandora prototype nor introduce additional delays, so why should we need to know about it?

'valhalla' said:
... so why should we need to know about it?

SD, CE, FCC are all required things before Pandora can sell...
Not even worth it to even respond more on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back