Problems

TylerAW

So I have noticed some problems that I need addressed in order to make me happy lol

1. I noticed my sd card seems pretty slow when compared to some online videos I was wondering does this has to do with the number of items on my desktop?

2. My battery seems to drain pretty fast when on wifi it is already down ten percent after less than an hour online is this normal?

3. When I finally got picodrive to work music is not playing in the game The Terminator it is a zipped rom

4. The time on my pandora is off after i turn it off than back on.

5. Firefox seems way slower than chrome could this be cause it is on my slow sd? Than again chrome is

Last edited by a moderator:
1. I noticed my sd card seems pretty slow when compared to some online videos I was wondering does this has to do with the number of items on my desktop?
Slow is kind of subjective here. What about it is slow? Prometheus has some links to tools you can use to test the quality and speed. I'll see if I can find them, if she doesn't beat me to it.

2. My battery seems to drain pretty fast when on wifi it is already down ten percent after less than an hour online is this normal?
Yes, that's normal. If I turn the backlight down as low as it can go, I can get about 7 hours of use out of mine with the wifi on; that'd be about 14% per hour. With wifi off, it doubles to about 14 hours. Wifi eats batteries.

4. The time on my pandora is off after i turn it off than back on.
You aren't the first person to mention that. By "off", you mean it has lost a few minutes, or how exactly? And how is the Pandora shut down? Do you find the clock drifting when put into low power mode, or just when it is completely shut down?

5. Firefox seems way slower than chrome could this be cause it is on my slow sd? Than again chrome is
Firefox is just slow. Some people claim to have improved the situation by adding a swap file.

Slow is kind of subjective here. What about it is slow? Prometheus has some links to tools you can use to test the quality and speed. I'll see if I can find them, if she doesn't beat me to it.
Hello! ;)

The tool in question, that Stan mentions above, is H2Testw (download link and more information available here). It's primarily for testing for fake cards and fake USB flash-drives, but it can also alert you to low-quality or defective flash-chips, and will let you see the sustained writing and reading speeds as it's testing the card. It's for Microsoft Windows, but it will work under WINE on x86 Linux and x86 Mac OS X, also. (There's also a Linux equivalent, called F3, if that helps.)

Which version are you using? I've found that, once it's started up, Firefox 4 Beta 10 is nicely speedy and responsive. If you haven't tried that one yet (I notice that it's disappeared from the app-store), it might be worth a look - it's currently available on milkshake's repository.

Is there a PND version of that SD card tester because I have no idea what I'm doing here?

Also is there currently a problem with Picodrive loading .zip games?

Also will Chrome ever get Flash support like Firefox B 10 has?

H2testw is for Microsoft Windows on x86 processors only, I'm afraid. There is a Pandora compile of F3, but it isn't in a PND, and you will need to run it from a terminal. Instructions for its use, which also apply to the Pandora build, can be found here.

I'm afraid I don't know the answers about PicoDrive or Google Chrome, though. Sorry about that.

H2testw is for Microsoft Windows on x86 processors only, I'm afraid. There is a Pandora compile of F3, but it isn't in a PND, and you will need to run it from a terminal. Instructions for its use, which also apply to the Pandora build, can be found here.

I'm afraid I don't know the answers about PicoDrive or Google Chrome, though. Sorry about that.
Well the instructions do not tell you were to put the files before u compile them?

The Pandora version has already been compiled, that's what the first link leads to - you don't need to deal with that part. ;) I was only pointing out the usage instructions on the other page in case they proved to be useful. :p (Basically, though, you would run "f3write" first, and then once that's done - and it'll probably take a little while - you would run "f3read" to verify what was written. This is perhaps not so useful if you already have things on the card, though...)

The Pandora version has already been compiled, that's what the first link leads to - you don't need to deal with that part. ;) I was only pointing out the usage instructions on the other page in case they proved to be useful. :p (Basically, though, you would run "f3write" first, and then once that's done - and it'll probably take a little while - you would run "f3read" to verify what was written. This is perhaps not so useful if you already have things on the card, though...)
The command does not work I put the F3 folder in the root and opened the terminal when in the folder and it won't run that command :(

Is there some flash plugin for Chrome on Pandora? I swear Firefox is just too slow.

Since no one has jumped in, I'll take a stab at your Picodrive questions. It seems fine with zip files. My Genesis, Master System, and 32x roms are zipped and playing great. You probably want to leave Sega CD images unzipped or at least not compressed much.

As far as not hearing music in Terminator, which version are you trying to play? Terminator appeared on different Sega consoles. If it is the Sega CD version, it is probably a problem with the disc image. They have to be ripped properly in order for cd audio to play. If the image was "aquired" the cd audio could have been left out completely.

Is there some flash plugin for Chrome on Pandora? I swear Firefox is just too slow.

Try overclocking the Pandora to 800 Mhz, this improved my experience when browsing with Firefox, it's still a little slow to load though.

Strange. I could've sworn I remembered reading that Chrome will use the Firefox Flash plugin if it's available, but I can't find any reference that that is actually true, nor can I actually get it to work. I obviously imagined the whole thing, or I've stepped into an alternate universe.

Either way, Chromium has no Flash, at least on the Pandora.

there are instructions for installing the flash plugin that will work with chrome here and here.

it does mention specifically firefox but it does also have the side affect of working on chrome too.

The command does not work I put the F3 folder in the root and opened the terminal when in the folder and it won't run that command :(
Try this: Right-click in the folder where the F3 programs are located, click "Open Terminal Here", and then type the following (replacing the path to the SD Card with the correct name, of course);

Code:
./f3write /media/YourSDCard

The "./" part tells it that the program you want to run is right in the directory the terminal has been opened in. To run f3read once f3write is done, you'll want to run the following;

Code:
./f3read /media/YourSDCard

I'm pretty sure that that should take care of it.

Try this: Right-click in the folder where the F3 programs are located, click "Open Terminal Here", and then type the following (replacing the path to the SD Card with the correct name, of course);

Code:
./f3write /media/YourSDCard

The "./" part tells it that the program you want to run is right in the directory the terminal has been opened in. To run f3read once f3write is done, you'll want to run the following;

Code:
./f3read /media/YourSDCard

I'm pretty sure that that should take care of it.
No such file or directory I typed it in exactly as you said and I replaced SD card with the name of mine I was in the root of the sd card, right clicked on the f3 folder and typed what you said :(

Back