Wakeup problems

hmc

Hi guys,

Recently my Pandora developed problems when waking it up from standby using the "on" switch.

Sometimes I have to wait a noticable amount of time, until the Pandora wakes up after sliding the switch.

Sometimes I have to slide it several times, until the Pandora reacts.

Sometimes the Pandora does not react at all, and I have to reset it.

And sometimes the Pandora reacts as it should.

I could not find a pattern yet. However, my impression is that the longer it was in standby, the higher the probability that it won't react anymore.

It seems to happen only on one of my Pandoras, and only if booted from SD (so it's probably not a hardware failure, but a software issue).

I am not sure, if it began before or after I installed the new testing kernel from

http://boards.openpandora.org/index.php/topic/11841-usb-otg-port-does-not-appear-to-be-working/#entry227697

But I believe it started before.

Does anyone else have such problems?

Any hint how I can debug this issue?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sometimes I have a problem with standby, but it's the opposite, when I pull the switch, instead of shutting down completely the display, it goes black but remains lighted, and when it does this if I open and close the lid a few time the display turns completely on and stays like this even when the lid is fully closed...

Mine goes into standby all by itself, when it is charging...and then, when I press the dpad or anything, it wakes up.  But it does not wake up with just opening the lid.

You sure that's standby? I've had the screen blank apparently on a timeout on mine (though it's not controlled by xscreensaver like on my other machines, so I don't know what's doing it) - but the power light stays fully lit, so it's not in low power mode. I'm not sure what standby mode looks like though, as I've never used it, and it's not fully documented on the wiki page (although the times on that page indicate something called standby mode as distinct from low power mode exists).

To be honest, I don't know, because I never observed whether the green light was on or off.  The green light is always on when it is actually charging, of course....but after the unit is charged and the red light goes out...and I have the blank screen that does not light up even when the lid is opened (as it should) - yet it lights up as soon as any key is pressed...I had not observed if the green light was still on or not, I will have to look.

Even so...what is the difference between that....and "standby mode"?

Even so...what is the difference between that....and "standby mode"?
Screen blanking just switches off the display (or the backlight, not shure) after some time. Can be controlled via Settings -> LCD-Settings -> Enable/disable screen blanking.

Standby mode is toggled by flicking the power switch to the right. It turns off almost everything, Wifi, SD cards, screen, keyboard, I think USB too. The power LED is dimmed in standby (but still on). Unfortunately, it also seems to stop the system clock. When you connect a charger, the Pandora will wake up automatically, so you can't enter standby while charging.

That's not what the wiki page suggests. Flicking the power button to the right enters low power mode, which apparently will give you a battery life of around 30-75 hours, whereas full standby lasts for over 160 hours. Full off lasts for a matter of weeks, so I suspect standby mode might be an alias for suspend to RAM, but that's a bit of a guess, and I've still no idea how to enable that.

But yes, screen blanking is separate from low power mode, or from standby mode, as the CPU and other chips continue to draw full power. It's the same as the screen having turned off because the unit detects the lid has closed.

Interesting that you reckon low power mode suspends the clock. I'd been thinking that was caused by my having to power cycle the machine a bit recently (and the fact that if I put it in my back pocket for any length of time, it's usually rebooted by the time I pull it out).

Hmm, I've just bought my Pandora up from low power, which it's been running on since it was charged last night, and it still seems to have the current time on screen. That would indicate to me that the clock still runs in low power mode.

FWIW I also force my Pandora back into low power mode after putting it on charge if I'm charging it overnight, so it doesn't drain 20% off the battery by morning. I assume the system forces it out of low power mode when it goes on charge because it needs the fully powered CPU to handle the battery charging circuits, but I don't know if I'm scuppering things by forcing it back into low power mode when it comes to managing things as the battery percentage reaches 100%. Nothing's blown up yet though, so meh.

So many speculations here.

Please, somebody who knows exactly what's going on. please enlighten us!

I charge my battery overnight, and never have opened the lid to less than 98 percent of power after leaving it all night, and having charge cut off.

But like I said, it weirds me out that the screen blanks on mine, and then does not immediately come back up when the lid is opened, you actually have to press a key to make the screen come back up.

By default, closing the lid just turns off the screen. This can be changed in settings.

There is also as has been mentioned screen blanking which kicks in after a period of idle time and requires a key press or nub movement to reactivate the screen.

As I understand it, When you flick the power switch, one of two things will happen. If the unit is charging, it will go into low power mode. otherwise it will suspend.

The first time you enter suspend mode it warns you against removing the SD cards while suspended. If you enter the following command at the terminal the system will forget you've already been warned and will warn you again next time you try to suspend. That way you will know that that's what it's about to do.

sudo rm /etc/pandora/suspend-warned
- Neelix

OK, so I guess that might be what is going on with mine.  But it always used to light up when I opened the lid...but now I have to press a key.  No big deal, really, just weirded me out, because it did not used to do that.

After upgrading to the latest 1.54rc my pandi seems to be falling out of suspend.  ie. It turns the screen on when opened now and that never happened before (when not plugged in).  The biggest problem with this is that none of the buttons do anything when it comes up like this.  No pandora button kill screen so I am resetting by holding the power switch.  At least that works.  

You are experiencing USB crash bug, if you run "upgrade pandora OS" from the menu with wifi on you'll get a fix for that.

Back