Product Pictures?

Netbook eh?

I'm using a Netbook (Asus EeePC 1000) and it's nice but no substitute for something DS sized. And it's not a proper game system by any means. Great for casual computing and net surfing though. :)

Prophet said:
Netbook eh?

I'm using a Netbook (Asus EeePC 1000) and it's nice but no substitute for something DS sized. And it's not a proper game system by any means. Great for casual computing and net surfing though. :)

Well I was never really claiming it was (just that you could get two pretty decent dedicated and portable devices for around the same price).
You must conceed though, an existing Netbook is better than the (imaginary) pandora our £200's are waiting on, right here in the present :D
(i'd imagine they're also pretty good if you only really want a portable emulation console for multiplayer games through TV out, or for watching movies on and all that)

Last edited by a moderator:
Pandora is playing in MID/UMPC/NIT league ;) It is a great bargain, for sure. Comparing Pandora to a toybook, shame on you :p

craigix said:
It should have arrived tomorrow with Michael, but FexEx have cocked it up and have it down as an 'exception' and say it missed its plane.

Great.
Been there, that's a bitch.
I had to wait for 3 weeks before i received the package.
It will probably go faster with you cause fedex hadn't informed me they had put the package aside.

TaG said:
_Sterling said:
NickLoTurco said:
I really have heard every excuse in the book now!
I'm still waiting for "My dog ate the keymat."
Hot off the press! _Sterling's dog ate all the keymats. Well, that's how I suspect it will get reported.
Bad dog ! Really bad dog ! :angry:

Any idea on how much time its delayed until Michael gets the mats?

Maybe he should post some pictures of the Case parts in the meantime......

I guess to ease the wait they could do a semi-assembled picture (a Pandora without Keyboard matt and just a white sheet of paper which existing case would show as white squares) - only a idea mind

But I guess, MWeston wants to do the more sensible thing and await for the Pandora and all its bits before assembling to iron out any issues

Heck you dont want him to conjuer up the same case as MFK do you?

======

gp32_console + :gp2x and hopefully a :pandora1:

http://gp2xwizandpandora.blogspot.com/

maxSteiner said:
Tesco's are selling this years Acer 1 for £160 upwards :p
And thats durring christmas!
knock off 25% for the x-mas sales and YES I would say thats cheaper than a Pandora :D
I hope no-one minds my off-topicness, here, but I just want to say many thanks for that. I've had my eye on one of those specifically. :D

sukhiextreme said:
Pandora taking to long to release, in a way pandora isn't very useful, it only play emulators no commercial games which makes it very expensive to own.

I just seen windows xp professional umpc it can play many emulators and it plays pc games.
it can play crazy taxi 3,onimusha 3,halo,sonic r,sonic heroes,sonic riders,sega rally 2,virtua fighter 2,house of the dead 3,guilty gear isuka and many others this is one of the best portable system i have ever seen, i'm thinking of getting this over the pandora, it's an full computer.

Maybe so but then it's not an full handheld gaming device. It's a pretty clear choice really.

It seems that sukhiextreme figured out that all the people were over here, he was like this all the time on forum.openpandora.org

Sphinxter said:
sukhiextreme said:
Pandora taking to long to release, in a way pandora isn't very useful, it only play emulators no commercial games which makes it very expensive to own.

I just seen windows xp professional umpc it can play many emulators and it plays pc games.
it can play crazy taxi 3,onimusha 3,halo,sonic r,sonic heroes,sonic riders,sega rally 2,virtua fighter 2,house of the dead 3,guilty gear isuka and many others this is one of the best portable system i have ever seen, i'm thinking of getting this over the pandora, it's an full computer.

Maybe so but then it's not an full handheld gaming device. It's a pretty clear choice really.
I checked that thing out it is amazing but it is also very expensive. In the $1000+ range

'Bout the only netbook you could really compare the Pandora to would be those Raon Note's. Kinda tough to find though, and like twice the price, with bad battery life, but they spank the Atom netbooks in performance.

Prometheus said:
maxSteiner said:
Tesco's are selling this years Acer 1 for £160 upwards :p
And thats durring christmas!
knock off 25% for the x-mas sales and YES I would say thats cheaper than a Pandora :D
I hope no-one minds my off-topicness, here, but I just want to say many thanks for that. I've had my eye on one of those specifically. :D

I bought my wife a Lenovo ideaBook for XMas. $399, 10" screen, Atom processor, 1GB memory, XP and 160GB HDD. $60 more than a panda. It is nice and would be a good portable for some folks (my wife can fit this in her purse (yes, her purse is THAT BIG).

I was tempted to get one and run Linux. For about, oh 30 seconds or so. The panda is the size of a freakin' Nintendo DS - that's still the portable I want. ED's videos of it running matchbox had me salivating (yeah, that is a scary and sad sight!)

So personally, I'll end up with a Dell Laptop and a Pandora and my wife with a netbook. I don't think a netbook is really a competitor to the panda at all - purely because of form factor. Sure, get a netbook AND a panda, but don't get a netbook instead of a panaa - you'll be disappointed! Just my two shekels worth.

For all those folks saying "I won't re-order til I see one" - hang tight. At the moment it seems the odds are about even on which we'll see first: a working re-order site or a panda photos. Even if the re-order site goes live first there's been no word on how long you have to get your re-order in.

Happy Holidays to all folks celebrating a holiday right now. For the rest of you - Happy Day instead.

All the best - John H.

BTW, when you do get to re-order just tell Craig "the cheque's in the mail, honest!" :p

jdh2550 said:
For all those folks saying "I won't re-order til I see one" - hang tight. At the moment it seems the odds are about even on which we'll see first: a working re-order site or a panda photos. Even if the re-order site goes live first there's been no word on how long you have to get your re-order in.
For those that did not follow it, see the lasts posts in the topic: "Keymat on devboard" in the news section ;) coming soon!

I brought a Samsung NC10, which to me seemed like a nice little mini laptop that I figured would come in handy for the journey to and from my parents (and indeed the christmas period with them), need something to pass the time after all! For me it falls into a rather different category to the Pandora (and my Pandora order still is in place!), although I have to admit, this little laptop is pretty nice for browsing internet/checking emails and so on. But it's certainly not portable without a reasonable sized bag, where as the Pandora looks like it could fit in a *big* pocket, or a small bag. If I had my Pandora already I somehow doubt I would have brought this too, but I still can't wait to actually get a Pandora in my hands, so much power in such little space :D (and will be a lovely upgrade from my Zodiac's).

Steve

jdh2550 said:
ED's videos of it running matchbox had me salivating (yeah, that is a scary and sad sight!)

I know what you mean. Getting that slobber out of my notebook's keyboard is a pain :lol:

jdh2550 said:
I bought my wife a Lenovo ideaBook for XMas. $399, 10" screen, Atom processor, 1GB memory, XP and 160GB HDD. $60 more than a panda. It is nice and would be a good portable for some folks (my wife can fit this in her purse (yes, her purse is THAT BIG).

I was tempted to get one and run Linux. For about, oh 30 seconds or so. The panda is the size of a freakin' Nintendo DS - that's still the portable I want. ED's videos of it running matchbox had me salivating (yeah, that is a scary and sad sight!)

So personally, I'll end up with a Dell Laptop and a Pandora and my wife with a netbook. I don't think a netbook is really a competitor to the panda at all - purely because of form factor. Sure, get a netbook AND a panda, but don't get a netbook instead of a panaa - you'll be disappointed! Just my two shekels worth.
Oh, same here, don't get me wrong. I've only had my eye on the mini-laptops because it'd be handy for guests to the household to use freely. :lol: (I already bought and sold an EeePC last year because it turned out that machines in that form-factor don't really suit my needs, whilst the Pandora is ideal for them. :p I'll be taking the same route as you - a full-sized laptop and the Pandora.)

</off-topic again> :)

Prometheus said:
I'll be taking the same route as you - a full-sized laptop and the Pandora.
Ditto. I like big screens for viewing. Pandora, for a device of that size, has a nice large screen. When it comes to laptops, I won't go below 14.1" and will probably get a 15.4" since they seem to be cheaper for the most part.

I've been away a for a bit, and I was honestly thinking there would be pictures of a finished Pandora in a prototype case...
Instead, I find another long list of excuses stickied where the protoype case should have been.... I know thats a little negative, but it does seem to keep happening, and some of things (like tech companies being shut until the new year) are so obvious they should have been factored into the proposed date for a finished unit.

Thankfully I bothered to take a bit of an extended look, so I got to see the bottom half of the unit, which does look quite nice, if a little chunky :D

I think what Im trying to say through the mindfog of my stinking cold, is theres probably alot of people like me who only ever bother to check in when theres meant to be an update, and this is about the third time in a row that theres been nothing to show, but a list of reasons why theres nothing to show.
I realise thats just par for the course in the development of a device like this, but sometimes silence is less damaging than apologies.

maxSteiner said:
I've been away a for a bit, and I was honestly thinking there would be pictures of a finished Pandora in a prototype case...
Instead, I find another long list of excuses stickied where the protoype case should have been.... I know thats a little negative, but it does seem to keep happening, and some of things (like tech companies being shut until the new year) are so obvious they should have been factored into the proposed date for a finished unit.

Thankfully I bothered to take a bit of an extended look, so I got to see the bottom half of the unit, which does look quite nice, if a little chunky :D

I think what Im trying to say through the mindfog of my stinking cold, is theres probably alot of people like me who only ever bother to check in when theres meant to be an update, and this is about the third time in a row that theres been nothing to show, but a list of reasons why theres nothing to show.
I realise thats just par for the course in the development of a device like this, but sometimes silence is less damaging than apologies.
Whilst the developers slowed down a bit, the community have taken things in to their own hands - at least in terms of news. Look at the OpenPandora Blog thread - reading through the blog, you'll see that tons of new stuff is around, it's just the official blog doesn't reflect that.

Back