Production Pyra photos/videos/thoughts thread

So, folks, please quit trying to destroy the interface potential of the Pyra through campaigning to have that beautiful right analog nub relegated to dumb mouse clicks like the Pandora had? That is why the nubs themselves have press-click features. At this point the hardware to make the interface 'right' is there and we're pending the software side to catch up.
While I agree that that would be a good option and probably the best default option, I do think there's room to keep both schemes and make it easily user configurable which one is active. I don't see any reason to deny those who have a preference for either method.

- Neelix

How it should work, combining the Fn + right nub scrolling, most of this is a repeat of what I said above. But - I had forgotten about the not so little extra that comes with right nub = scroll and how it can combine with Fn to be insanely powerful for navigation and device functionality.

Left nub = mouse movement.
Having the left nub click = right mouse click enables pulling up contextual menus wherever the mouse is at that moment.
Having the right nub click = select / drag / left mouse click should be a substantial improvement over what the Pandora uses now. Why? Because it frees up that right analog nub from being relegated to binary clicks.
Right nub = scroll within current active application.
Fn+right nub = scroll the 'displayed area' around the defined desktop (which can be MUCH larger than the screen's display area).

Yes, default the desktop size to the native resolution for shipping.

Because the nub is analog, you don't just have single speed scroll, but variable speed scroll in all four directions. The implications of this on a small screen handheld device are -huge-. It effectively means you can define a desktop in 4K pixels and with Fn+right nub whiz or finely adjust or anything in between around the screen - or have your web browser or LibreOffice spreadsheet or whatnot zoomed in on a page and be able to both fly and crawl and anything in between left / right / up / down through content.

Will it be that way at first batch shipping? Probably not. The devs are still working on more important base-level stuff.

I used to use a netbook as my primary laptop. After all of the clunky scrolling around with a tiny trackpad and moving windows around because of the small resolution, controlling the Pyra with dual analog nubs sounds like freedom.

Right now we have a temporary solution where the right mouse left / right does left / right mouse click. Yes, I know this is how it is / was on the Pandora. Yes it was a compromise back then and still is.

Left nub = mouse movement.
Having the left nub click = right mouse click enables pulling up contextual menus wherever the mouse is at that moment.
Having the right nub click = select / drag / left mouse click should be a substantial improvement over what the Pandora uses now. Why? Because it frees up that right analog nub from being relegated to binary clicks.
Right nub = scroll. Because it is analog, you don't just have single speed scroll, but variable speed scroll in all four directions. The implications of this on a small screen handheld device are -huge-. It effectively means you can define a desktop in 4K pixels and whiz around the screen - or have your web browser zoomed in on a page and be able to both fly and crawl and anything in between left / right / up / down through content.
Much better, but where will the middle mouse button go?

You mean the one generally assigned on Windows computers to use mouse scrolling? Doesn't the right nub being used for scrolling make your center mouse button irrelevant?
I do not use Windows and do not know how Windows uses it. Generally the middle mouse button is activated by clicking (not scrolling) on the scroll wheel.

Last edited:
I'm still rocking ctrl+c&ctrl-v (or shift+ctrl c and v in my bash terminal) to do cut and paste. I only use my mouse in the browser and to select text in my terminal (with shift on the keyboard).
I don't get what you're saying there, I'm afraid. Select/drag/left mouse click sounds like what the Pandora has already, at least if you slide it left. Select is another name for left click, I assume. You're saying it's better because it does that when you click in in centre rather than sliding it left? I can buy that, if that's what you're actually saying.

Couldn't middle click be mapped to both nubs being clicked at the same time (or a configurable delay for accessibility reasons)?
It could work but a delay would need to be added to the mouse buttons which could be annoying. It's inhuman to consistently press both nubs at the same time with frame perfect accuracy so unless a delay is added there will be a right or left mouse click before most middle clicks. Personally I think that the middle click should just be moving the right circle-pad the left. Scrolling sideways is never needed anyway and most mouses do not even have any special function to scroll sideways.

You can double-click on the first or last word to select with word precision.
CAD, looking at maps, GIMP, ...
Those can do that without sideways scrolling controls on the mouse.

Perspective guys.

Who, on Earth, is going to do CAD on a Pyra, it is not designed for that...

Which brings to my memory the warning on MX-5/miata's owner manual:

As you can see, the engineers at Mazda are quite pragmatic with the 'what if'....; the same applies here.

Middle mouse button is defintely needed. Basically to paste. I don't care what the default is because I will have a middle mouse button whatever I have to change. Sideways scroll is not so necessary as middle button, but it's also very good.
I wouldn't mind my middle mouse button to be elsewhere, maybe the A or the Y in the A,B,X,Y buttons. I don't need to press the middle button at the same time I scroll.
But I can't really tell without having the Pyra in the hands and trying things, sorry.

Yeah I'd take middle mouse button over any kind of scrolling.

Back