Programmer Magician Wanted

R

Red Baron

It looks like the JDX V3 has firmware and software ported from the Dingoo A320 and they have dun a bad job of it and also it has been hacked
How about you programmers do some of your magic on it
:ph34r:

If the machine proves appealing enough to developers then maybe they'll take a look, but I for one am not interested in the JXD V3 enough to buy one and look into it. If you're really that interested then you could always take a look yourself.

I seem to recall you stating that you were a coder at one point RedBaron. Why don't you have a crack - you've got nothing to lose. What makes you think that the coder did a "bad job" with the hack anyway? Maybe the machine just isn't up to it.

The A320 firmware is closed source, so a port would have been impossible.
Unless JXD bought it from them, which I doubt.

gibberish said:
The A320 firmware is closed source, so a port would have been impossible.
Unless JXD bought it from them, which I doubt.

Not exactly true, the A320 mostly just uses the ucos2 build from the ingenic ftp which is open-source, the few things that are specific to the Dingoo version of the OS can very easily be disassembled.

Last edited by a moderator:
How about you start a fund raiser like with paypal or something to buy a jxd or whatever it is and donate to the people that are 1) willing to help 2) are knowledgeable enough to do it. There really are a couple of really great dev's around (not me though) and if they are intrested they might do it but without a real device in their hands you'll never get what you want.

Red Baron said:
It looks like the JDX V3 has firmware and software ported from the Dingoo A320 and they have dun a bad job of it and also it has been hacked

Why don't you just lean to program? Plenty of people on this forum do it every year.

craigix said:
Red Baron said:

Why don't you just lean to program? Plenty of people on this forum do it every year.
A lot of programmers learned to do it from a very early age and most of us were not fortunate enough to even consider programming until it was too late :(

TylerAW said:
A lot of programmers learned to do it from a very early age and most of us were not fortunate enough to even consider programming until it was too late :(

that's a wrong point to start with, your never to old to learn something and you can't think in boxes, your never too old for anything, don't let anyone let you believe that. If your motivated you can learn almost everything

joyrider said:
TylerAW said:

that's a wrong point to start with, your never to old to learn something and you can't think in boxes, your never too old for anything, don't let anyone let you believe that. If your motivated you can learn almost everything
Well first off there are wayyy too many programming languages I mean which one do u start with?

TylerAW said:
joyrider said:
TylerAW said:

Well first off there are wayyy too many programming languages I mean which one do u start with?

I suggest python. You can get good results quickly, i think thats very important for new programmers. Dont worry about it too much, just pick one and stay with it. C++ is a great choice too, BUT beginners can find it very difficult, and it can take much more work and you may be dissapointed with your initial progress. You can spent a lot of effort with little concrete results to show for it. On the other hand it might be one of the most interesting and rewarding languages, as it requires quite a in depth understanding of what actually goes on low level 'under the bonnet' AND a sophisticated understanding of high level design.
Many people may argue and come out with their personal favorite launguage. Essentially it doesn't really matter what language you learn, programming is programming, a lot of the most important things you learn have nothing to do with the language itself, and everything about knowing how to approach a problem.

Also you will *never* *ever* learn everything you need to know. Thats one of the reasons programming is interesting, there is always new frontiers, things to learn and puzzles to solve. You don't *have* to know everything, you just need to know enough to get the next job done.

So, learn a bit of python, see if you like the feel of it and stick with it if you do. If not, you should at least have a better idea of what you *do* like. Oh and start small, small and simple. Large projects are a series of tiny steps, tested and fixed after each step.

umm sorry this post is a bit long and waffley i hope it is of some help.

I agree, go with Python or Basic and you will be programming and seeing results within minutes.

Once you pick up the basics you will wonder why you put it off previously.

We should really organize some kind of 'learn to program' thread on this forum and get some people who think they can't do it to see how easy it actually is.

craigix said:
I agree, go with Python or Basic and you will be programming and seeing results within minutes.

Once you pick up the basics you will wonder why you put it off previously.

We should really organize some kind of 'learn to program' thread on this forum and get some people who think they can't do it to see how easy it actually is.

That sounds interesting. I'd love to learn but don't really know where to start. That and I don't know if I can find the time to invest in doing it, so results in minutes sounds encouraging :)

I learnt a tiny bit of Spectrum basic when I was about ten, but that's about as far as I got... :unsure:

Just get a good book about python and try to start slowly in your free time.

I am have been learning python on and off... you can definitely start doing interesting thing if you put a bit of effort into it.
There really are a lot of module in python that help you do a lot of things easily.

I am very much a newbie when it comes to programming. I haven't even finished the original book about python I was reading. (I really don't get object oriented programming yet).

Still I was able to created a small command line program to input EAN of CD's into my ripped music collection.
I used 3rd party module for codebar scanning (Zbar) and for reading/writing .flac file. I also used some fuzzy search function from an included module.
I did actually also write some code to get cd information from amazon (which kind of buggy !!) but maybe I could have found a good module of this too.

The program scan a music folder for album in .flac (it assumes one album per folder) and get the important tag. (album name, artist, EAN if present...)
Then you can scan the code bar of a CD using a webcam or input it manually. If an album with the same EAN exists it will simply output it's information. Otherwise it will do a search on Amazon.com and amazon.fr for the EAN number of the cd (you can also input this manually if not found) and try to find the closest matching cd (cds) in you music collection. If you confirm it's the good cd it will then write an EAN tag to all the .flac file of the album.

It's nothing fancy and quite limited in some regard but it's already pretty cool IMO. That's just to show you an example of what you can do with a bit of practice.

But how does learning Python or Basic help us program the Pandora? I mean aren't those languages resource intensive?

ED has gotten games written with PyGame to run on the Pandora. So, Python should be fine on the Pandora, within reason.

Simple languages let you learn the basics, and from there you can expand out.

It's a little like learning to drive an automatic, then if you want to you can go to a manual or even a 24 geared custom lorry.

I think we should start a thread to see if we can get some of you programming, and maybe show you how easy it is.

TylerAW said:
But how does learning Python or Basic help us program the Pandora? I mean aren't those languages resource intensive?

Ach, complain, complain, excuse, excuse.

You're getting good advice from these folks: don't you think they thought of these things before? They know what might be a good platform for the Pandora and what might not be. That's why they have the audacity to suggest these platforms to you.

The Pandora is quite a performant little box. It is going to do many things very well in Python. Personally, I'm planning on brushing up on Python and learning Qt for my own Pandora hacking.

Yes, if you're looking for ultra-high performance number-crunching, Python may not be your best choice. But neither is the Pandora. If you're writing emulators that are pushing the edge of the Pandora's hardware, Python may not be your best choice. For most things you might dare to do without years of experience and education in programming, Python is an excellent choice.

Or any of a dozen other languages you might choose from the Angstrom repositories. Do it or don't: the choice is yours. There are no excuses, only decisions about how you prefer to use your time. (And it's no shameful thing to decide you have more interesting things to do with your life than to write software!)

todd said:
TylerAW said:

You're getting good advice from these folks: don't you think they thought of these things before? They know what might be a good platform for the Pandora and what might not be. That's why they have the audacity to suggest these platforms to you.

The Pandora is quite a performant little box. It is going to do many things very well in Python. Personally, I'm planning on brushing up on Python and learning Qt for my own Pandora hacking.

Yes, if you're looking for ultra-high performance number-crunching, Python may not be your best choice. But neither is the Pandora. If you're writing emulators that are pushing the edge of the Pandora's hardware, Python may not be your best choice. For most things you might dare to do without years of experience and education in programming, Python is an excellent choice.

Or any of a dozen other languages you might choose from the Angstrom repositories. Do it or don't: the choice is yours. There are no excuses, only decisions about how you prefer to use your time. (And it's no shameful thing to decide you have more interesting things to do with your life than to write software!)
I want to make 3D games, why you may ask? Well the first reason is I want to make the assets inside the game rather than just copy from someone else. I'm a 3D artist I can Polygon Model in 3Ds Max and am learning to make texture maps for my models. I CANNOT DRAW I cnanot make sprites at all.
Now can PyGame do 3D?

TylerAW said:
todd said:
TylerAW said:

I want to make 3D games, why you may ask? Well the first reason is I want to make the assets inside the game rather than just copy from someone else. I'm a 3D artist I can Polygon Model in 3Ds Max and am learning to make texture maps for my models. I CANNOT DRAW I cnanot make sprites at all.
Now can PyGame do 3D?

Don't think about 3D for now, and don't bother with sprite drawing for a while. If you want to start programming, think baby steps. If you want to go with Python, a first project might be to use Python/PyGame to move a square around based on keyboard inputs. Then a pong clone. Then a simple platformer. If you're lucky. Once you have the basics down you'll be able to move to C++ for projects that need better efficiency. If you start with C or C++, your first projects will need to be even simpler.

I first learned how to program by teaching myself PIC assembly, so there's something I can recommend NOT doing :lol:

Back