Projector TV's

Whut ? How is the projector improving the frame rate ?

On Optoma's page it says the mode makes sure you get the best response time. I can attest on an earlier model it is already excellent :) I can play rythm games with no lag.

...probably my mistake :)
Not frame rate, and probably was response times that I was hearing about ... I was referring to what I'd seen in a YT review of it, but from memory of last week when watched it, and the guy reviewing it most likely did mention response time and I got it wrong

...I'll edit my original post so doesn't confuse anyone reading that

I've been gaming on DLP projectors for the last 12 years, Two Optoma projectors and my first one was a Viewsonic. I've never noticed any response time lag.

Same. Bought my first projector with my first bonus from my first out-of-school job and haven't used anything else since. Direct sunlight is solved with a backlit screen, if you have the room: my apartment was thankfully fairly open so it was easy to hang it in the kitchen and point it into the living room with a curtain hung up in the space between them. Images are still washed out, black is still a pretty bright grey, but at least you can see it.

I find that the Wii U is a good friend of gaming on a projector: when it is bright I play on the gamepad wherever I want (bed, sofa). And on evenings I can play on the projector.
I'll use the Pyra to stream games from my PC in a similar manner.

I guess the bonus of being a basement dweller is I can use it anytime of the day.

I'm in the market for a new TV & a projector has been suggested, I'd never considered one but the more I think about it the more it appeals to me.. price would be the main concern £1000-1200 would be the max for me (but as cheap as possible preferably) I know nothing at all about projectors so would would appreciate any feedback from those that do, I'll be looking to use PS4, WiiU, Nvidia Shield TV various older consoles.

I'd greatly appreciate any advice/recommendations.

I bought a decent one 720p a few years back with tons of inputs for $300. Just recently I was looking for a new on to upgrade and get a shorter throw distance, and was able to buy one, with a 130' diagonal at a 9ft throw distance. It also has the ability to natively play various media files. It cost me $100. I have never had an issue with a bit of extra light.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019HCADR6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:
^Confused you say 1080p, but the projector linked claims it's only 800x480, I assume it's 800x480 native but can handle 1080p input...

I haven't a clue what beamer means,
That's ok.
A "Beamer" is what all of us Germans will sit in front of, after calling their friends on their "Handys" and learning, that none of them will go out to have fun at the local "Public Viewing", because half of them couldn't find their "Body-Bags" and the other half doesn't like to go out in the sun without that favourite "Basecap" they just misplaced.
Before you do that, you usually go to the "Discounter" and get some beer. Alternatively you can get it from the next "Drive-In", which is especially cool if you drive an "Oldtimer".

My beamer is quite good and only did cost about 470€ when I got it 5 years ago (only 720p but brighter than most, doesn't have to be used in total darkness even in eco-mode), it's no replacement for a normal screen though. Both have ups and downs but if you're not inviting people to watch movies in the evening together regularly, the downsides (heating up the room with a 400W lamp, noise, daylight problems) aren't always worth the huge image size.

For me there's nothing coming close to the projector in terms of what you get in the end. You can never buy a TV which a screen that huge if you have a nice white wall to use (or a screen to project on). The difference is just day nad light. Never going back to TVs again.
[doublepost=1470098004,1470097869][/doublepost]
Projectors are great for movie/video game nights, but might be a bit inconvenient for casual TV watching (since you'll need to block sunlight). It's not ideal either if you are used to keeping the TV on all the time, since you don't want to have your lamp on for too long and it will add some background noise.

There's not much worth watching on TV anyway, and certainly not to keep it on the whole time.
But even, let's say if you were to use your projector 3 hours a day, your lamp would last at least 2 to 3 years.

I was reading this, when searching for best colour wall, after seeing some comments on a YT vid about using a grey wall rather than white, to get the deeper black tones
https://www.avforums.com/threads/projector-screen-or-just-a-white-wall.806641/

...I think I will paint one of my walls in this Dulux Ice Storm #5

Paint-3.jpg

...and then also use some black tape [painters tape/frog tape probably best for use on a painted wall I guess] to mark a defining border line around the projection, apparently it has an effect to your eye that makes it seem much more crisp

So still seriously considering the Optoma GT1080 projector.
But it only has HDMI inputs.

What would be the best way to get my older consoles feeding through this too?
Megadrive, NES, SNES, 2600...
Anyone know of any adapter hubs or the likes, which could have them all connecting to an HDMI port - and whichever console is turned on, would project?

So still seriously considering the Optoma GT1080 projector.
But it only has HDMI inputs.

What would be the best way to get my older consoles feeding through this too?
Megadrive, NES, SNES, 2600...
Anyone know of any adapter hubs or the likes, which could have them all connecting to an HDMI port - and whichever console is turned on, would project?

Something like this would do the trick:

of course there are other versions on amazon, I just linked the first one I found.

Thanks.
Is that cable shown in the top right of [the massive] image - the S-Video which the Megadrive would connect up with? It looks like it is to me:
71a3EZrh3SL._SL1500_.jpg

Just searched that on the UK site, and checked the related products.
This one looks good then right?
Looks same thing, but the box itself has the S-Video rather than a link USB cable to it

Will order myself one, rather have this projector and an adapter than get a projector with all the connectivity but isn't going to have the short-throw I will need

the S-Video which the Megadrive would connect up with? It looks like it is to me
The Genesis/Megadrive didn't have S-Video, it had a round connector that looked similar to and S-Video cable. Well actually the Megadrive 1 had a larger connector. But it was Sega specific.

The Genesis/Megadrive didn't have S-Video, it had a round connector that looked similar to and S-Video cable. Well actually the Megadrive 1 had a larger connector. But it was Sega specific.

Ah ok, I didn't know that was a Sega specific port, guess I won't be using that then :)

So I have my projector now for a week or so...
It is amazing!
The image is great and that's just on my wall as is, which isn't particularly smooth.
Would like to get some sort of material/screen and pin pin it to batons running along the top and bottom ... as I have plug sockets on the wall I project onto which obviously isn't ideal.
But still it looks great.
Still need to get one of the adapters on pay day, as just have HDMI at moment, so using it for my Nvidia Shield mostly and watching films on.

Will up a couple screenshots in a moment - So glad I went with it though rather than a telly, the experience is much better and is pretty much a cinema experience when I get popcorn in too :)
[doublepost=1474901517,1474900018][/doublepost]
2nkrvh1.png

Not the clearest photos of it, as just screenshots from a recording on my phone I done to show another mate it.
You'll notice I've a load of crap still on the floor in the corner there :) Still to be unpacked but I've not got the furniture for all my stuff yet.
I have the image thrown plush to the ceiling and it reaches down the wall to about a foot or so from the floor.

It's very nice, and soon hope to get my gaming PC hooked up to is soon, just again waiting till pay day and I'm going to get a little coffee table for the projector to sit in the bottom tray of my PC and Shield will sit in that too.

Probably this one, as it will allow still plenty of air circulation but prevent me/anyone from stepping on the thing. I'll take the casters off it

tingby-side-table-on-castors-white__0441843_pe593577_s4.jpg

Back