Proper CPU speed setting for 1GHz Pandora?

Silent-Hunter

Hardcore Member
I have a 1 GHz unit, and I have set it to 1000 MHz, since that is exactly 1 GHz, but I had to set that as custom, the default was 1100 MHz. Is the CPU actually a 1.1 GHz CPU, and not 1 GHz?

Well Ti claims 1Ghz should be the default, However 1.1Ghz is really stable so maybe this was set by ED or Notaz.. Much like on the CC and rebirth SoCs 500Mhz is Ti's recommended set level however 600Mhz is the Pandora default.  With OPP4 1.2Ghz is real stable on mine, and I can generally push close to 1275 Mhz without any issues.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Aren't you asked about this after reflash?

Although I don't really know why ED has put overclock-suggestive options there, probably because of reasons TrashyMG suggested.

Did I? I'm terribly sorry, I'm very forgetful. I'll leave it at 1000 for now then, since it runs fine.

Yes, you can choose the default settings on startup.

1,1GHz seems to be stable on most Pandoras, so it offers that as well.

Then does that mean that going over 1.1 GHz is considered overclocking? I personally thought that going over 1 GHz was overclocking on the Pandora. I normally keep mine at 600 mhz because most applications work fine at that clock speed.

Yeah it goes over TI's spec, but they're usually rather conservative, like on OMAP3 where they specified 600MHz as max when AFAIK all units can do at least 800MHz even under NEON-heavy usage.

TI even sold the same SoCs specified at 500MHz at first and updated the specs later to 600, AFAIR.

You know, I kinda like TI now than others SoC manufacturers.  They conservatively spec their SoCs and then users find out that they can overclock them to like twice the speed.  Other manufacturers just say stuff but then when the rubber meets the road, you find out their SoCs don't have much slack like TI's.  So OMAP5 for Pyra makes me feel nice and dandy, and make think if we can overclock it to twice its specs later ^_^

You know, I kinda like TI now than others SoC manufacturers.  They conservatively spec their SoCs and then users find out that they can overclock them to like twice the speed.  Other manufacturers just say stuff but then when the rubber meets the road, you find out their SoCs don't have much slack like TI's.  So OMAP5 for Pyra makes me feel nice and dandy, and make think if we can overclock it to twice its specs later ^_^
I don't know, I can overclock my 1GHz Pandora to like 1.15GHz before I have stability problems. Not a ton of slack.

I don't know, I can overclock my 1GHz Pandora to like 1.15GHz before I have stability problems. Not a ton of slack.
Wow even set to OPP4 level? 

I'm unstable about 1275Mhz..

Wow even set to OPP4 level? 

I'm unstable about 1275Mhz..
Yeah OPP4. I don't think I got a number from the stress test though. I just tried DraStic when I first got it and it started crashing at 1.2GHz during benchmark tests. That's probably a pretty heavy stress test itself.

This sort of thing really does vary from unit to unit. So there's maybe around a 15% margin for me. When you think about it, that has to cover temperature variation within the allowed range, aging, power supply error (the expected voltage being slightly different from the supplied), and other sources of error. So it's not surprising that there'd be about this much slack, but it's not really a lot.

With the first OMAP3530s at 600MHz they really underspecified them, which is probably why they started selling 720MHz ones not that much later.

Back