1 Ghz Overclocked Qemu testing request

3_bit

I am on the edge of whether to buy a "proper" gaming laptop or a 1 Ghz Pandora. Can someone make a video or test how good games like Half-life and Team Fortress Classic run on an overclocked 1Ghz. There is a video of HL on a 600 Mhz unit near 1 Ghz. Thanks

I am on the edge of whether to buy a "proper" gaming laptop or a 1 Ghz Pandora. Can someone make a video or test how good games like Half-life and Team Fortress Classic run on an overclocked 1Ghz. There is a video of HL on a 600 Mhz unit near 1 Ghz. Thanks

This is a regular Pandora, I doubt a 1Ghz model will make it much better than this. Qemu currently can't make use of the 3D acceleration, so it's stuck using a software rendering which is real slow.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/hmTs1vVBv6g?feature=oembed

Last edited by a moderator:
If your aim is to play games like these, you are obviously not the target audience.

Hey my old Video ^_^

I hope when i compile Qemu new with OpenGL Support in Slackware,that i can use a little acceleration.

Before a few Days i sendet ED a a Mail because i want a 1GHZ Model too,but no Answer yet.

I have Patience ;)

@ingoreis - Looking forward to that.. I need to pick up a large SD card for Slackware.

Even if Qemu does OpenGL passthrough, you won't be able to run OpenGL apps on the Pandora.

I'm working on a few projects related to this so you might see something capable of running Windows apps (even DirectX) with hardware acceleration from me sometime in the future.

In the more immediate future, we should be able to run at least OpenGL 1.x apps natively.

I'm working on a few projects related to this so you might see something capable of running Windows apps (even DirectX) with hardware acceleration from me sometime in the future.
This is very interesting project.. hope to hear more about this in the future.

Looking forward to see how this plan turns out lunixbochs.

Sounds really promising.

@IngoReis:

If you are compiling qemu with the mesa softwaregl libs in slackware, it will most certainly be even slower as the cpu has to emulate the graphicsapi as well.

Looking forward to see how this plan turns out lunixbochs.

Sounds really promising.

@IngoReis:

If you are compiling qemu with the mesa softwaregl libs in slackware, it will most certainly be even slower as the cpu has to emulate the graphicsapi as well.

Interesting, I didn't realize that QEMU didn't provide passthrough for when the hardware exists. Obviously, if you're running on a platform without a compatible GPU that would require emulation, but I'm surprised they don't have a wrapper option for when you do have the GPU.

The Pandora has OpenGLES, which is not compatible with the mesagl stuff.

So we don't have "the" gpu.

I compiled it and tested it and its the exactly same Speed as the Version in Qemu PND,but needs now more Libraries to run :lol:

=no little little Speedboost :rolleyes:

And i learned new Thing.

I've seen jwzgles. I've written similar code myself. This is a harder problem (binary-compatible libGL.so.1 including glx support) and thus far it's just using stuff I wrote.

Wow, this will really be a great thing if you can achieve it.

So, what are you doing exactly?

(and can a mod split this from the topic? not sure what it has to do with qemu ..)

Bochs (cool damn dude that he is!) is attempting to get a libGL compatible renderer so that qemu can support glide and other 3d apis that predate DirectX and thus be able to play 3d games of the DOS era with hardware 3d.

Back