Prototype case and Mainboard Assembly (small video)

Worst d-pad for killing thumbs that Ive used, is the dreamcast's. I once cut my thumb in a heated bout of I think it was virtua tennis.
I wrote a letter to C&VG (which got published!) back in the day about blisters on my thumb due to DC Virtua Tennis. I've never had a game related injury before or since.

Last edited by a moderator:
d-pad pyra is perfect, it doesn't look  nice as  a nintendo d-pad, but it works better for super street fighter "hadoken" and other combos. 

d-pad pyra is perfect, it doesn't look  nice as  a nintendo d-pad, but it works better for super street fighter "hadoken" and other combos. 
Seems like it's the same as the pandora's, and that d-pad is nigh perfect for Hadokens, and I'm not just saying that. Let's hope the movement limits and sensitivity is the same.

Any chance to see anything new ED? It's a little boring only see Keyboard news XD

I can't wait to see what the production hinges on the Pyra will be like.

Its really the only gripe I have with my pandora. I can handle the DIY approach to the software, I can handle the odd Nub problem, I can handle most anything. But the hinge on the Pandora is severely dissapointing... and it's a subjective problem as I'm sure there are many who have no problems with it. But I just really want to know what to expect from the pyra hinges.

I can't wait to see what the production hinges on the Pyra will be like.

Its really the only gripe I have with my pandora. I can handle the DIY approach to the software, I can handle the odd Nub problem, I can handle most anything. But the hinge on the Pandora is severely dissapointing... and it's a subjective problem as I'm sure there are many who have no problems with it. But I just really want to know what to expect from the pyra hinges.
You forgot to mention what about the hinge you don't like.

I've designed a new, simple multi-angle hinge that also can be "modded" just for fun, but the Pyra will actualy use the old hinge mechanism afaik, which has the same limitations than the one from the Pandora.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've designed a new, simple multi-angle hinge that also can be "modded" just for fun, but the Pyra will actualy use the old hinge mechanism afaik, which has the same limitations than the one from the Pandora.
That's fine, but unless it can be manufactured and for a reasonable price it's not a real option. 

I've not heard a final decision on the pyra hinge - could anyone link me to a posted decision?  As I recall, ED's going to be using a part by the manufacturer of the DS's hinge, but not one that has two stop points, as that's patented technology (boo).  There were discussions about a hackable hinge mechanism that would permit multiple stop points as I recall though, but I'm not sure there was any real conclusion to that discussion.

I guess my gripe is where the click point is; it's all the way at something near 180°. I like to keep it somewhere near like 145° and the screen will slip out of that with the slightest provocation. Makes playing on a bumpy bus ride frustrating. I can appreciate the limitations of a friction based hinge, or the patent restrictions. I can imagine there is some logical reason the pandora hinge is the way it is. But honestly this issue is my biggest concern. I'm stoked for basically every other aspect of the Pyra.

I put a peace of cardboard in the air gap (check the thickness) and so I can set the screen where I like. Working for longer than a year very well.

Joachim

Back