Ps3 - New Supercomputer

Can you say HYPE?
it's the flashship cell processor that can reach speeds of 4ghz, and the ps3 may very well have 4 very stripped down cell processors. for it to have the amazing power you think it'll have, they'd have to price the system way beyond what anyone's willing to pay. then again, sony will probably sell the ps3 hardware at a loss.

like some ahve mentioned, you always hear crazy stuff about the power of upcoming consoles. even so, this cell processor's supposed to bring a breath of fresh air to the cpu world. if it really has 9 cores then that should bring a huge perfomance.

and the dc was released at just the right time. lack of 3rd party support, not hardware capabilities, is what killed it.

BZZZZZZZZZZZZZT WRONG.

DC had plenty of third party support are you kidding??? It's commonly thought that what killed the DC was Sega's bad reputation up to that point which they had earned by flopping the Saturn, Sega CD and 32X, not to mention the Game Gear and Nomad. Lot's of hardcore Sega fans (which would have been the primary buyers of the DC) really felt burned by Sega up to that point, as being a loyal Sega fan with anything after the Genesis got you a system that was almost guaranteed to be short lived and under supported. Also that the shadow of the PS2, which was releasing a year later, really kept the DC from doing well for very long (it did reasonably well in it's first year), as so many people just prefered to wait.

Dozer - you're absolutely right... you can't compare consoles to PC's.... yet people constantly do anyways :D :p

i used "3rd party support" very loosely. i just wanted to emphasis that it wasn't its so called lack of hardware prowess that killed the DC. what really killed it was a mix of it all... people holding off for ps2, sega's unpopularity, and possibly piracy, and some other stuff.
and i think it's very stupid that people wouldn't have bought a dreamcast just cuz of sega's bad rep. it had a good short life period before ps2's debut, had a good number of great 1st and 3rd party titles, and brought graphics to new levels, then.

I compaire the Xbox to a PC as when u think of it, it is just like a PC :p

what makes me laugh is that an otherwise informed and intelligent commuity is even giving this a shred of credence. It quite blatantly hype and not very realistic hype either...

c0ncept posted on Feb 13 2005 at 05:36 PM said:
what makes me laugh is that an otherwise informed and intelligent commuity is even giving this a shred of credence. It quite blatantly hype and not very realistic hype either...

And your proof being?

Last edited by a moderator:
people thought the PSP's graphics / battery life / performance was all hyped up, but they are amazing just like they said they would be :)

It will contain at least 1 of the cell chips im 100% sure of it as Sony is helping to design it.

Also Nvidia said the GPU that they are designing for it is even more powerfull than the current / latest PC GPU's they have. NICE :D

Unreal3 is being designed for these next gen consoles as well

I think once you have a next gen console then no more PC Upgrading will be required (if your main reason for upgrading your PC is games) :), Why run the same game on a PC when you have a PS3 with better specs than a PC B) hehe...

Steve-O posted on Feb 13 2005 at 11:00 PM said:
people thought the PSP's graphics / battery life / performance was all hyped up, but they are amazing just like they said they would be :)

It will contain at least 1 of the cell chips im 100% sure of it as Sony is helping to design it.

Also Nvidia said the GPU that they are designing for it is even more powerfull than the current / latest PC GPU's they have. NICE :D

I think once you have a next gen console then no more PC Upgrading will be required (if your main reason for upgrading your PC is games) :), Why run the same game on a PC when you have a PS3 with better specs than a PC B) hehe...

So what happens to your PS3 when you want bigger and better games, With more enhanced graphics than even the PS3 can provide ?. Upgrade it ?. Or buy a PS4 and hope your PS3 games will be compatable. :rolleyes: .

Trooper

I expect the graphics to be around to b about the same as you see on a top end graphiocs card now at the most.

Sure unreal 3 will still look beetr on a top end pc, pc is constantly evolving every year in terms of graphics power, and will always be ahead,

PS2 was supposed to have toy story equivalent graphics with its emotion engine the graphics were no where near as good as the current high end pc when it came out otherwise i would have got one. The specs as with all consoles are over hyped its a bit like the jaguar being 64bit, to make evryone think it would be a pretty amazing bit of kit whenb it came out.
Spec speculations should be taken with a pinch of salt believe nothing until a running unit is out.

trooper posted on Feb 13 2005 at 10:24 PM said:

So what happens to your PS3 when you want bigger and better games, With more enhanced graphics than even the PS3 can provide ?. Upgrade it ?. Or buy a PS4 and hope your PS3 games will be compatable. :rolleyes: .

Trooper

well, I think the next big step for games will be real life looking (which they almost are all ready ;) ) ... in my opinion, soon (in the next few years) upgrading will never be needed as it will be impossible to get games better quality than real life :)

Steve-O posted on Feb 13 2005 at 11:41 PM said:
trooper posted on Feb 13 2005 at 10:24 PM said:

Trooper

well, I think the next big step for games will be real life looking (which they almost are all ready ;) ) ... in my opinion, soon (in the next few years) upgrading will never be needed as it will be impossible to get games better quality than real life :)

I reckon simulation/3d technology will go on for a *long* time yet... sure, true photorealism in static screenshots will probably be here in the next ten years... but then you've got physics, AI, ever-increasing amounts of interactivity....

anyway, what i'm trying to say is: people aren't just gonna give up at playstation6 because 'things just won't get noticeably better'... because the generation after that will *still* do a lot more...

of course, I reckon there'll be *some* type of paradigm shift before that, which seems to be what sony are going for right now with the 'networked parallelism' thing...

hey, anyone wanna take bets on when the internet will become sentient? (not that it hasn't already, by some definitions ;))

finty101 posted on Feb 14 2005 at 12:46 AM said:
WTF is sentient?

like, with a mind of it's own, type of thing; self-aware

it can be said that the internet is already a type of 'mind', with those internet fads like the badgers, and 'all your base' being thoughts within that mind, but that interpretation is a 'humans+system='something else' type of thing...

edit: dictionary.com sez:

sentient \SEN-shee-uhnt; -tee-; -shuhnt\, adjective:
1. Capable of perceiving by the senses; conscious.
2. Experiencing sensation or feeling.

I can remember very vividly the first time I became aware of my existence; how for the first time I realised that I was a sentient human being in a perceptible world.
--Lord Berners, First Childhood

when will the internet have that feeling?

finty101 posted on Feb 14 2005 at 01:20 AM said:
Never? It is impossible, human intervention is needed.

why?

if you believe intelligence/sentience originates in the brain, then there's no reason why not, surely?

if you believe that there's a 'soul' doing stuff, then it gets kinda metaphysical...

I don't believe in a soul, but I can't see how the internet could do anything without human intervention somewhere down the line, even if it is AI, it has to be coded by a human.

even IF graphics ever could conceivably reach a point where they couldn't get any 'better', there will always be room to grow... not better, but MORE.

Even right now, Xbox, for instance, can do some f'ing AMAZING graphics. Heck, look at some good looking, REALLY good looking 1 on 1 fighting game, and you'll see some REALLY amazing graphics... but you never see graphics that good in the average game (from another genre). Because in a 1 on 1 game, obviously there's a lot less going on, just two characters duking it out, all the processor power is dedicated to them and the background scenery. But now imagine that on the next gen system, you could have a game as good looking, in detail, as the best looking Xbox 1 on 1 fighter, but in this game, HUNDREDS of characters with this level of detail can all be onscreen at once while maintaining a solid framerate. As well, you could take those very good looking backgrounds and make them super interactive, with everything able to be affected in some way, with realistic physics... oh and those hundreds of characters? Would all have AI smarter than any we've seen on a game before.

Well... I dont think we'll see anything THIS powerful on this generation... which just proves the point further... there will ALWAYS be room to grow, to make things more powerful.

Back