Ps3 - New Supercomputer

when you say 'internet', exactly what the hell do you mean? the badger/all your base things are horrible examples, too.
what, do you mean something like a computer with ai that you can connect to?

edit:
nice post bast, what you said summed some of it up. also, games being able to play in ultra high resolutions is another thing that's going to drive game technology.

junker posted on Feb 14 2005 at 05:19 PM said:
when you say 'internet', exactly what the hell do you mean?

:blink:

Last edited by a moderator:
junker posted on Feb 14 2005 at 04:19 PM said:
when you say 'internet', exactly what the hell do you mean? the badger/all your base things are horrible examples, too.
what, do you mean something like a computer with ai that you can connect to?

edit:
nice post bast, what you said summed some of it up. also, games being able to play in ultra high resolutions is another thing that's going to drive game technology.
but tvs are only currently 640x480... and supposedly games will take 5x longer on the ps3...

yeah, hdtv. people with hd sets want support for hdtv resolutions. and no one plays pc games at anything below 1024x768..usually

Yup HD's are becoming more and more 'mainstream'... I think a poll recently put it at like 15% of american homes have HDTV's now? And growing every year. PC guys beware, one of your top arguments for PC superiority is falling :D :p

It is a scary thought, about games taking so much longer to make now... but only when you think about the really good, hyped ones that we'll just have to read about for that much longer before actually getting to play. I would hope, and maybe this is just me, that a beneficial side effect of this would be a smaller amount of crap to wade thru to get to the good titles as well... I remember reading an article somewhere about this, how it was getting more and more difficult for smaller third party companies to produce games, as time and costs were just getting too prohibitive for them to do so. Well I say, good riddance, as most small third parties are well known for making CRAP! I know there are some good ones out there.... but most of them just flood the market with junk.

Of course, the other possible side effect would be, companies all 'rushing' to bring games out, since a rushed game may take as long with the new generation as a really good game took with this gen, and companies try to all cut costs and time, resulting in more crappy, 'unfinished' or unpolished games.

Another scary thought....

i see what you mean, but it'll also be harder for new up and coming developers to produce new style games that don't suck. not all the big time game makers started out big. but yeah, a good portion of the crap out there are produced by smaller 3rd party companie.
i forcast an increase in sequel titles, copy cats, and "rushed" games :D

yeah that is another downside... that some new small companies that do have great ideas won't even get to bring them to light. In the end, it's all speculation, and true or not, there is no doubt that the next generation will be filled with great games, and a sea of crap to wade thru as well... it's always been that way and always will be. The only thing that changes are the limited number of new ways to innovate, and with each new innovation in gaming, it becomes just that much harder for someone else to think of something that's never been done before... while there will always be room for consoles to become more powerful... will it always be possible for someone to think of something new and innovative? Or are there only a finite number of things that can ever be done in a game?

word

by the way,
i tried playing hl2 on my tv a while back, and man, i don't know why, but it looked so good on the old telly. of course not as detailed as on my monitor, but just good. playing stuff on a regular tv always comes out good, especially videos.

Game production is becoming more and more like movie production. Hollywood makes the majority of it's money by producing a handful of mega-budget movies each year. These movies have to be a success so they tend to be 'safe', appealing to as many people as possible.

Then you have 'indie' movies, the majority of which are utter pap but some of which are total gems that are far better than the 'safe' blockbuster movies.

Finally you have the bargain basement movies that are made for TV or go straight to video. Most of these are crap but you get what you pay for and can be a diversion when you have nothing better to do.

Now think about games - they are rapidly going the same way. As the cost of producing games goes up, so does the risk, so they have to make sure the games do well - que bland, 'safe', blockbusters. The small game studios have lower costs and so can experiment more - like indie movie makers. Then you have the people that turn out just budget games - straight to video.

J(ohn)

bast525 posted on Feb 15 2005 at 04:48 AM said:
yeah that is another downside... that some new small companies that do have great ideas won't even get to bring them to light. In the end, it's all speculation, and true or not, there is no doubt that the next generation will be filled with great games, and a sea of crap to wade thru as well... it's always been that way and always will be. The only thing that changes are the limited number of new ways to innovate, and with each new innovation in gaming, it becomes just that much harder for someone else to think of something that's never been done before... while there will always be room for consoles to become more powerful... will it always be possible for someone to think of something new and innovative? Or are there only a finite number of things that can ever be done in a game?

aye, bue EA have been trying to combat this by buying shares in every single development house known to man

but their doing it for the good of the games industry.................apparantly

mattmagoo posted on Feb 15 2005 at 11:52 AM said:
bast525 posted on Feb 15 2005 at 04:48 AM said:

aye, bue EA have been trying to combat this by buying shares in every single development house known to man

but their doing it for the good of the games industry.................apparantly

Those evil freaks have their names on FFX-2!!!!! Seize Them!!!

well a lot of small companies do get their really good ideas made and released by bringing them to larger companies for publishing.

Really I'm not worried about the video game scene myself, I dont think that more powerful systems will equal less games, or games of less quality, but I do think we'll wait longer for the really good ones to be finished from the time their first announced....

The game Uplink is an example of what was basically a homebrew game becoming a critical and (relative) commercial success. So small developers can do it. The trick is in finding and exploiting a niche market.

This 'cell' crap is a load of bull. At the end of the day all those chips are are rebadged Power processors from IBM... y'know, the ones used in Imacs and Powermacs and sold as 'G4' and 'G5'? Not even the top ones either. I'm pretty sure IBM hasn't benchmarked any of those chips at those quoted speeds... in a few years maybe.

The only remotely interesting thing about it is the interconnected bus which gives it its name... which both AMD, SGI and others already use on their high end designs for non-blocking IO.

The PS2 is pretty shocking graphically, given all its hyperbole and vaunted 256bit 'emotion engine'. It still has a crap amount of texture memory which everyone has come to expect a lot from (heck even the DC had better graphics at certain times and that was killed off before its prime!). Expect similar from the PS3.

Dunno what the GFX will be like. Sony said they learnt from they're mistakes with the PS2. Not enough video ram etc. They said they wanna make the most powerful console. I guess we'll have to wait and see. I don't see the xbox 2 doing much better gfx if they use PC parts. What doom 3 type graphics? which is the best the PC has to offer. Hm doom 3s coming to the 1st xbox.........

Supercomputer my ass. Its way behind the slowest supercomputer on processing power. Like 1/8th

davey g posted on Feb 17 2005 at 10:46 PM said:
As far as I'm concerned the sooner consoles achieve "real-life" quality graphics the better. Maybe then certain developers can stop fighting over the most realistic graphics and come up with better games.
True True, the amount of crap games we're flooded with now is sad

yeah, this "cell" marketing is just a way to pump up the average guy that doens't know much about cpus architecture. i remmber reading about it in game mags where they described it as something like a crazy new architecture you'd only find in sci-fi novels or something

davey g posted on Feb 18 2005 at 09:16 AM said:
As far as I'm concerned the sooner consoles achieve "real-life" quality graphics the better. Maybe then certain developers can stop fighting over the most realistic graphics and come up with better games.

I sincerely don't hope it happens any time soon. This 'life like' crap has gone too far already.

Look at my Xbox collection - what have I bought. Not much. Shenmue 2. DOA Volleyball. GTA double pack. Outrun 2. That's it.

Gamecube on the other hand.... Pikmin, Doshin, Super Monkey Ball, Super Smash Bros, Zelda WW, Mario Party, Burnout 1&2 (which are ultra fun with a steering wheel BTW).... the list goes on. All FUN games that have little (if any at all) base in reality.

I personally especially like games that look like a cartoon. Jet Grind Radio. Zelda WW. The first time I saw that Naruto fighting game on the Gamecube, I was totally dumbfounded. Here is a fighting game that is actually ENTERTAINING and looks just like the Naruto anime. Forget all your realistic looking Mortal Kombats, Streetfighters and Soul Caliburs, you can have 'em all and I'll play Naruto on the gamecube. Pure fighting goodness that actually looks like a cartoon and fun to boot.

When I play a game, I play to ESCAPE reality, not see it recreated on the screen.
No wonder I play so much 80's & early 90's games all the time.

Back