Ps3 Remote Play Functionality

darien

People are currently hard at work reverse engineering Sony's Remote Play functionality between the PS3 and PSP so that it can be used with other devices starting with Windows and Mac PCs. You have to request to be a part of the project, but I don't see it being very far off that someone could get a hold of the source and begin porting for the Pandora.

It may seem pretty pointless from a functional standpoint, but the idea of having my PS3 (has an external drive attached with much of my music and movies on it) in one part of the house and being able to access its content over Wifi is pretty appealing as it will save space on your SD cards and also allow you to play select PSN games and PSX games purchased from the Playstation network. SD cards are fairly expensive and it takes time to move files over. Even on my PSP I still have the same old 4gb memory stick and stream everything from my Mac/Windows Server to PS3 to my PSP, when I'm walking about the house or on the treadmill.

http://code.google.com/p/open-rp/

You can stream stuff from pc to ps3 to psp? That's great! I've got a media server set up that I access from my pc/ps3, so I can just access that from my Pandora, but if I could get to the PS3 as well, it would be all the more sweeter! From what I understand, this still requires a PSP though? It seems like going from your ps3 to psp and then to computer would be kind of slow.
And hey, maybe one day the PSP emulator could do remote play well enough to actually play games on the PS3. :rolleyes:

Yeah I'm pretty sure it requires pairing with an existing PSP so you need to extract that unique code from it in the first place, but once that's done, the PSP is out of the way and you connect to PS3 through the internet, local wireless network, or as far as your PS3 can reach on it's own wireless reach.

edit: I'm sure they'd be able to find ways to pair without a PSP down the line.

Can you really use open remote play over the internet? My custom firmware psp can't even do that.

Lunatic said:
Can you really access use open remote play over the internet? My custom firmware psp can't even do that.

Should work if you're signed into the PSN. Also on CFW.

Last edited by a moderator:
Current custom firmwares can't access psn. That's why I'm asking. I figured if it was locked out to custom firmwares, then it would also be locked out on PCs.

Can't say I've updated anything recently as far as my PSP goes, but your PS3 should be signed in and set to remote play. Also any settings on the PS3 should allow over-the-internet connection for remote play.

edit: I haven't tried over the internet recently, but it did work at one time, even on custom firmware.

I'd have to admit the thought did cross my mind once (kind of sad comming from me of all people, I should know better ;) ). Can't say it's going to be easy and in order to make any head way they would need to do allot of "listening". The fundamentals of how it works sound allot easier than what it is, there are a great deal systems in place that in order to keep that from happening. But at the same time Sony has been known for slip ups, all it takes is one.

Back