PS4/Xbox One are already out of date

So his whole argumentation is that they dont deliver 4k? 

That is so weak i wont even comment on...

The author seems to have some difficulty separating screen from content - so 4k BluRay discs are coming - and? all the ones sitting on your shelf won't magically become 4k, nor will your player suddenly output 4k.

Every piece of hardware connected to your TV is out of date (let alone all your media) if you measure this by the physical res of the screen.

Yeah and the mileage devs got out of the 360's architecture.

They pushed it to its limits by the end. Still seems damn powerful to me.

mehmotivator.jpg

i was sure ps4/xbone cant do 1080p 60fps. whats this about 4k?

I really see no reason to upgrade to a 4k TV until physical media is widely available for movies or broadcasters start using it.

We were quite late getting a 1080p TV as we had a 32 inch Sony CRT Trinitron Widescreen TV that served us well for movies and gaming.

It was only when Freeview added HD channels & we got a 360 that we upgraded to a flatscreen TV.

The guy in the article seems like just the kind of techie that gets something new for the sake of it to have bragging rites.

He is right though, not for any of the reasons he gave, but he is still right

No clue why this resolution-fetish is still so present. ~1080p is fine as long as you have propper Anti Aliasing, sharp textures and good graphics. No matter if Console or PC.

The more important thing are STABLE FPS, I prefer 60FPS minimum and could sacrifice some resolution for this goal. So as long as todays consoles can offer stable 60FPS, I wouldn't call them outdated. Sadly, it already seems to be a big issue with the current games sometimes, 30FPS may work for slow games but for shooters etc. I see no alternative for 60+ FPS.

We've been playing sub-1080p games (PS3/XBox 360) on 1080p res screens for years. The games hardware not meeting the (best available) screens physical resolution limit* isn't something new for the latest gen of consoles - it's always been the case.

Besides, even when 4k TVs are everywhere, very little of the legacy content of broadcasters will be greater than 1080p. 4k Channels/content will probably be in the minority for some time. When 8k arrives there will be almost zero pre-existing 8k content - much of digital cinema is shot in 5k AFAIK.

The best justification for buying into 4k so early would seem to be for viewing content you've shot yourself on that 4k GoPro you bought to capture all your parkour/Wingsuit accidents or digital photo slideshows!

*I'm obviously not talking about upscaling here, but actual resolution the games are running at.

Last edited by a moderator:
I still enjoy movies on DVD... the extra resolution for film doesn't do much for me apart from disgust me seeing zits on actors noses...

But for games 1080p is fine. We are experiencing deminishing returns and I kinda feel "meh" about this push for increased resolutions...

Back