Psp Users: As Impressed As I Am?

AireTamStorm

Unix Addict
Website
Visit site
A year ago, I got myself a GP2X, and just loved it. I already had a $600 iPAQ Pocket PC that I purchased that year, but I still found many reasons to carry both handhelds around all over the place.

Anyway, despite being a sucker for gadgets with little color screens, I avoided the PSP. I avoided it up until a few days ago- a week before, I had no intentions of getting one. On impulse, I sunk $300 into a PSP, a 512MB memory card, a bunch of accessories, and 1 game.

Geez, carrying 3 handhelds around is a bit tough ^_^

I updated the firmware to 2.8 and started downloading content onto my device from my home webserver. Beautiful font rendering (antialiased even) on that nice resolution screen. My iPAQ couldn't compare in how well it displayed pages. Gmail, Flash, tabs, and as I dislike Microsoft /alot/ (a ton of bad experiences with them and their software) I was more than happy to move over to something other than Internet Explorer.

Wireless compatability was the same, unlike the DS, it doesn't have trouble with every other AP out there. My iPAQ's range was considerably better, but I haven't seen any other handhelp, laptop, or desktop wireless card that beats the 'PAQ yet in that aspect, so it was still well within parameters. Good job Sony.

Its character page support was more than welcome. I could easily enter Japanese Characters (I speak some) in my emails and use them as my PSP's username. I also changed the Interface language accordingly, which worked well, with clear and crisp kanji on the NICE screen. I added Japanese support to the PAQ a while ago, but that makes a small window stay spawned in front of everything all the time. No dictionary yet, but the PSP once again 1-Upped my expensive iPAQ.

Thats not to say there aren't problems. I get "out of memory" errors when viewing large images in the browser, or pages with lots of text, or large animations. They could cache some of the data to the memory stick here, adding a "pagefile" like RAM area. Flash 7 isnt supported yet, so no Google Video yet, (idk if its possible with the small memory available). And all files must go into a specific directory to be seen by the XMB? Why not just make a small File Browser?

Also, I'd like to be able to change settings or look at web pages while playing an MP3, but any other XMB actions cancel playback. Multitasking, my iPAQ holds its title. DivX would be nice too,

Witout built-in wireless and a web browser of some sort, the GP2X has fallen a bit behindthe pack in terms of connectivity. However the GP2X 1-Ups both the 'PAQ and the PSP when it comes to its huge support for all kinds of codecs and audio/video support, out of the box. Not to mention, much more RAM, and its imae viewer really is well designed. So, the GP2X still has a pocket to itself everytime I go out the door.

As games vary for both platforms in terms of target audience, library size, and quality, I can't really make any comments on any of the three in comparison, without being somewhat biast. However I am very sure that the PSP's 3D support well surpasses both, and its 2D support was well demonstrated in the LocoRoco demo I downloaded from Sony.

Anyway, PSP owners, you as impressed as I am?

Katamari is nice ... so is GTA, with custom soundtracks (random klilling to GG Allin is a blast!) Other games are .. meh. It's nice watching UMD movies though ... kinda.

Comparing the GP2X to a PSP is understandable, but comparing it to a PPC?

I'd also like to know what kind of clothes allow you to carry three handhelds every time you get out of the four walls :p

- Alex

TelcoLou posted on Aug 18 2006 at 12:47 AM said:
Katamari is nice ... so is GTA, with custom soundtracks (random klilling to GG Allin is a blast!) Other games are .. meh. It's nice watching UMD movies though ... kinda.
I agree. Watching Final Fantasy 7: AC or Little Britain on UMD is a great way to pass time during travel, especially since it doesn't tend to give me as bad motion sickness as gaming does.

Last edited by a moderator:
Goity posted on Aug 17 2006 at 07:58 PM said:
TelcoLou posted on Aug 18 2006 at 12:47 AM said:
I agree. Watching Final Fantasy 7: AC or Loittle Britain on UMD is a great way to pass time during travel, especially since it doesn't tend to give me as bad motion sickness as gaming does.

Am I the only person that can play the GP2X or read a book while on the road...?

Shikaku posted on Aug 17 2006 at 07:52 PM said:
I live in a giant bucket
I'm your roommate

I love my psp, always have. IMO it's a fantastic device, and the battery life is just fine. I get roughly 6-8 hours. People tell me otherwise, but i really dont care what they think.

It's a great multimedia handheld. Just extend the good games, and it will be the best handheld ever :) (commercially speaking of course :D)

Somehow I think their UMD media strategy prevents DivX support from becoming available officially.

For carrying 3, a Trench coat, and/or cargo pants. Need a good belt though, or the weight really drags em down. Could also use a small backpack.

I'm basically comparing all mobile devices that fit the usage profile I tend to do. GP2X really outdoes the others in some areas, while it is in return outdone by the others. With all 3 on hand, I can't lose ^_^

AireTamStorm posted on Aug 17 2006 at 09:10 PM said:
I'm basically comparing all mobile devices that fit the usage profile I tend to do. GP2X really outdoes the others in some areas, while it is in return outdone by the others. With all 3 on hand, I can't lose ^_^

Agreed. However, I still prefer my GP2X and its AA batteries of LOVE!!!

loco roco, tekken, gta, SWBFII, Outrun 2 C2C, Ghosts'n'Goblins, Everybody's Golf... this system has some fantastic games I don't care what all the ninty fanbois say...

I also have a NDS and NDSL I hardly use either these days...

What would be neat... an IM service for PSP/ PS3 users. They'll probably pull it off with VoIP technology, maybe with additional video, but it would be damned cool.

I love the PSP, although it doesn't get into my handbag that much these days, probably because I haven't bought any new games for it recently. But I do love creating videos for it with Rapiz.

I tell you what is a shame though, the Logic 3 PSP keyboard project was abandoned. I think it was something to do with Sony not willing to give Logic any specs. :(

sensible GP32 posted on Aug 18 2006 at 03:03 PM said:
im naughty,

my favourtie thing about my psp is devhook :)

I agree with this bitch.

Though some chavvy bint went on my psp and upgraded it to 2.0. Now I'll have to downgrade again :(. It's rather annoying since I have to use 2 different pcs since this one has norton which doesn't like the downgrader.

I am impressed by its 3D capability but for a company like Sony with all on their mega millions I would think they could have done better. The screen is way too slow giving too much smearing and ghosting on fast games. Plus they have a real QC problem with the screens having so many with bad pixels.

Other than that it is nice.

DaveC posted on Aug 18 2006 at 05:50 PM said:
I am impressed by its 3D capability but for a company like Sony with all on their mega millions I would think they could have done better. The screen is way too slow giving too much smearing and ghosting on fast games. Plus they have a real QC problem with the screens having so many with bad pixels.

Other than that it is nice.

wow, haven't heard anybody mention bad pixels in about a year, i'm pretty sure they fixed that and its not like they didn't replace the units that were bad when there was a problem.

Screen blurring is not that bad. I own Madden 06, GTA Liberty city Stories, Socom, Untold Legends, and Twisted Metal and with those games, there's hardly any blurring or ghosting, none of which hampers the gameplay in any way.

I love my PSP, i love it a hell of alot more than my DS, well until Final Fantasy is released.

WarmFluffyUK posted on Aug 18 2006 at 03:30 PM said:
I didn't go near a DS as it looks like a brick, mind you, the DS lite, is that the same as a DS only better looking?
yes, with "improvements" such as different microphone placement (you know you want to yell into the ds while playing some gay karaoke game :lol: :rolleyes: ). And the finish is nicer, being closer to the sleek and shiny design of the psp.

The DS is boring me lately. The games are gimmicky and get redundant really fast.

Let's get some zelda up in this shizzle and maybe I'll take a liking to it again.

On a related note, has anyone here played/own Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror? FANTASTIC game.

Here's a nice review: Dark Mirror Review

daclassicgamingmaster posted on Aug 18 2006 at 09:38 PM said:
yes at with "improvements" such as different microphone placement (you know you want to yell into the ds while playing some gay karaoke game :lol: :rolleyes: ).
Did you say Karaoke? Wow I GOT to get one now :) .

Back