Psp Users: As Impressed As I Am?

Angel posted on Aug 18 2006 at 07:48 PM said:
DaveC posted on Aug 18 2006 at 05:50 PM said:
I am impressed by its 3D capability but for a company like Sony with all on their mega millions I would think they could have done better. The screen is way too slow giving too much smearing and ghosting on fast games. Plus they have a real QC problem with the screens having so many with bad pixels.

Other than that it is nice.

wow, haven't heard anybody mention bad pixels in about a year, i'm pretty sure they fixed that and its not like they didn't replace the units that were bad when there was a problem.

Screen blurring is not that bad. I own Madden 06, GTA Liberty city Stories, Socom, Untold Legends, and Twisted Metal and with those games, there's hardly any blurring or ghosting, none of which hampers the gameplay in any way.

I love my PSP, i love it a hell of alot more than my DS, well until Final Fantasy is released.
The screen isn't too bad on many games, but GTA? It looks disgusting on GTA. Have you seen his legs when he walks? It's just a constant blur. However, there are games like Daxter and MGA (am I the only person who enjoys this more than MGS?) which look good on the screen.

Last edited by a moderator:
no, haven't noticed much blurring on GTA, even driving at high speeds there's barely any blurring. And if you don't believe i have the game, look at the post your handheld collection thread as my PSP is running GTA on it.

no bluring here either....I do however get a weird graphic bug from time to time. All of a sudden it will look like im walking on air as my environment vanishes around me. It isnt too bad though, and only happens 3 or 4 times for a second or 2 the length of entire game.

I don't think the screen is 'slow' as in refresh rate. Just REALLY high contrast. So if you have a light colour object moving cross a dark background, it would appear to smear, light coloured object against a light coloured background, it shouldn't be noticable. Something to do with the 'release' time from being fully lit to 'off' of the pixels.

Terrible console with terrible games (speaking of the few games that actually exist for it). One of my worst console purchases ever... and I own a Game.Com!

DaveC's very correct about the ghosting. Just play the loading mini game on Ridge Racer... it's sickening.

shinneri posted on Aug 20 2006 at 05:07 AM said:
Terrible console with terrible games (speaking of the few games that actually exist for it). One of my worst console purchases ever... and I own a Game.Com!

DaveC's very correct about the ghosting. Just play the loading mini game on Ridge Racer... it's sickening.

wow, when was the last time you looked at how many games and the quality of games? 2 months after release? Granted I like my PSP alot so despite my fanboyness for the PSP, there is a very good and diverse selection of games now. And there are probably as many PSP games out as there are for the DS so not really sure why you'd even say anything about "few games thatt actually exist for it" unless you haven't looked at the PSPs game selection in about 7 months.

I've been watching it. I suppose the PSP just doesn't have what I'm looking for. I have always had issue with the PSP's poor build quality (much like all Sony hardware, really), but I don't see the kind of originality on the PSP than I do on the DS. It's a lot of rehashes and things that are available on home platforms.

shinneri posted on Aug 20 2006 at 05:12 PM said:
I've been watching it. I suppose the PSP just doesn't have what I'm looking for. I have always had issue with the PSP's poor build quality (much like all Sony hardware, really), but I don't see the kind of originality on the PSP than I do on the DS. It's a lot of rehashes and things that are available on home platforms.
here we go again with the build quality of sony products....It's fine, nothing wrong with it at all. Mine still works as it did a year and a few months back when I bought it: and I use it quite often.

As for originality, the ds is the same design as the old game and watch. How is that fresh and original??

Besides, the psp was never intended to be a "innovative" system like the DS is. It's called a "Playstation Portable" because the idea is, it's supposed to be a portable Playstation ;): fantastic graphics, great psx/ps2 games, both on a handheld device. That's precisely what it is.

Sony's build quality has always been terrible.. I don't know how you dispute that.

DS and G&W are almost entirely different outside of the two screen, but even the screens are completely different. But regardless, I'm not talking hardware. I'm just seeing original software coming out of DS and rehashed console games coming to the PSP.

I said nothing about innovation in my entry. All I want is something new and well executed. I thought Daxter might provide that... but it turned out to just be terribly frustrating (stupid required mini-games ruin that game).

I find the PSP to be a decent handheld, but it just isn't original or innovative at all. I could be wrong though. Maybe if I were to try some of the newer games out/coming out, such as Loco Roco, I would enjoy it more. Though as of now, my list remains GP2X > DS > PSP.

shinneri posted on Aug 20 2006 at 11:14 PM said:
I'm not talking hardware. I'm just seeing original software coming out of DS and rehashed console games coming to the PSP.

Such as?

Tetris? Mario Kart? Mario64? Metroid?

Please tell me, because all I see on the DS is rehashed franchise games, ports and shoddy movie licences...

And none of them of any decent quality.

Iorgy77 posted on Aug 21 2006 at 04:57 AM said:
I'm not talking hardware. I'm just seeing original software coming out of DS and rehashed console games coming to the PSP.

Such as?

Please tell me, because all I see on the DS is rehashed franchise games, ports and shoddy movie licences...

Kirby Canvas Curse, Jump Super Stars, Pheonix Wright, Polarium, Meteos, Trauma Centre, True Swing Golf, Cooking Mama etc etc

ste_167 posted on Aug 21 2006 at 08:49 AM said:
Iorgy77 posted on Aug 21 2006 at 04:57 AM said:

Such as?

Kirby Canvas Curse, Jump Super Stars, Pheonix Wright, Polarium, Meteos, Trauma Centre, True Swing Golf, Cooking Mama etc etc

Thanks, Trauma centre I tried and didnt like much but I will give the rest of those a look into.

edit: I have also played true swing golf, not a big fan of that either to be honest, Everybody's golf on the PSP was much better imo.

Yeah, that's a great game, one of the highest rated on the PSP. I think the main plus point of DS is that fact that you'll never be able to play many of the touchscreen games in the future properly on an emulator, so you may as well enjoy them now, or you'll be hunting down a working one on Ebay in 2016!

i'm not going to touch the build quality of the PSP other than saying that at Sony doesn't have to repair units because they develop cracks in the plastic. :p

And daclassicgamingmaster is right. It's called Playstation portable for a reason, it's a portable playstation and it is doing that and more. I happened to be at EB over the weekend and saw the DS line up thats coming out and wow, what a load of crap. 3 pokemon games, Mario Basketball and Starfox, with Starfox being more of a strategy game than the old school shooter, so even that is crap.

And you people that complain about the PSP have the same franchise games, well how many fucking puzzle games/mini game games do you need on the DS??

PSP and DS are for different people, as an owner of both i see that. I know I will never see a Socom game on the DS or Grand theft auto. I will never see anything remotely close to PS2 quality gaming on the DS. But on the same note, I will never a good Nintendo first party game on the PSP, and since the only good first party game so far is Mario kart, I imagine, i'll have to wait until a Smash bros DS is released before I see another. I'm sorry, i'm not 13 or a girl, I don't want to play a game as a pink puffball or 50 year old plumber anymore, especially as sports games.

EDIT: I will admit, i am a big fan of the PSP, fanboy if you must, but as for Sony in general, thats about where it stops. I don't even have a PS1, and my PS2 is 2nd behind my Xbox, but yes, I will defend the PSP especially against people that have never tried or owned one, or are basing their arguements on stuff that happened whent it was first launched.

Goity posted on Aug 21 2006 at 02:52 AM said:
at £35 Loco Roco is too expensive for a low budget looking 2d game.

possibly the most retarded thing anyone has ever said

I'd be interested to hear more too.

At the time being, the idea of Flash on the PSP excites me most. Here it is on Firmware 2.7 (which also stops homebrew from working..). Flash on PSP (YouTube)

flash is pretty slow. i haven't found a flash game that is really playable yet. I tested the games on albinoblacksheep.com, they ran, but very slow. I believe its based on Macromedia v6. I think if they took the time to develop a flash player from scratch that used the PSPs hardware better than a port of an old version of Macromedia, it would run better.

Back