Psx Emulation.

appdirect

Still Fresh
Apparently the pandora will emulate psx at full speed, But i think i found a problem, the psx controller has 4 triggers an the pandora has only 2 triggers, altough some keys in the keyboard could be used to function as the other triggers y believe is going to fell odd (altough anyone could get used to do that).

I know the design is done, and you could plug a gamepad in the usb port, but i just wanted to point that out.

Thank you for pointing that out, I do not think anyone has ever thought of that. I guess you better tell the PSX dev before he releases it without L2 and R2.

lol
until the very last sentence I thought palmertech was serious :D

well, ya but appdirects concernces are understandable
we'll have to see how it feels when ur playin it

rock bottom: plug two seperate buttons via usb at the back of the pandora, so it wont feel odd pressin em :D

Heh, nice one palmertech ;)

appdirect, the points that have already been raised are:

1) Not many games used all the triggers.
2) The PSP has official PSX emulation at a commercial level and it only has two triggers (and no keyboard to map them to), yet it functions very well.
3) the other things you mentioned, especially keymapping.

4 shoulder buttons would be nice but there wasn't space, however the Pandora devs have included two solder pads for budding hackers to add their own form of shoulder buttons.

Already been thought of. There are solder pads for R2 and L2. Just get a couple trigger switches and glue them on if you're really concerned and of such a mind. No need for USB buttons or whatever.

You could replace the L2 & R2 with the analog stick push (L3 & R3), depending on what game you play. Also depends on whether the developers decided on keeping the analog push after they had to switch analog nubs (Does anyone know if they ended keeping it btw?)

-Spadoof :gp2x

You soon will be mine :pandora1:

Mapping the second shoulders to analog on PSP can be really annoying for the less common cases where you need them (like changing the camera in Final Fantasy Tactics), but mapping them to keyboard is far from a problem...

Most PSX games i know dont use the r2 and l2 buttons so that doesnt really matter.

I figured that if he was serious, then be polite and nod. And if he was a troll.... Humor without insult generally defuses the situation if injected early enough. <_<

I am personally going to add some flush metal pads on the bottom of the pandora that link to the R2 and L2 pads, then have a slide contact on my custom made wing grip case that links them to switches in the case itself.

I could see pressing one of the center buttons to enable R2 and L2 mode, although that really wouldn't work too well for fast-paced games.

Unfathomable Depths said:
He's right you know.

Those black backed CDs wont fit in that slot.
:D

The main problem will be, that these PSX CD's needs a HUGE ammount of SD Space, even compressed. ;) So I can't imagine to have more than one or 2 PSX games on my SD, because I don't have the money to buy these 16 GB SD's. Even 8GB Cards could be cheaper for my taste.

Last edited by a moderator:
1 PSX CD = 700mb
I don't know what they are compressed. You could easily have more then 2.

Also 16GB cards are not that expensive. They cost about as much as 2 8GB cards.

I got as many as 6 (PocketISO compressed) games onto a 2GB card the other day, so don't worry about it.

Besides, by the time we get our hands on the Pandora those 16GB cards will be 32 GB, and the 16 GB ones will cost the same as the actual 4GB ones :D

Is it possible to trim unused space off psx CD's? I know this is possible with DS roms and will greatly reduce file size.

Is it possible to trim unused space off psx CD's? I know this is possible with DS roms and will greatly reduce file size.

I haven't seen an "ISO trimming" tool for PSX games yet. Nothing like NDSTokyoTrim or R4Trimmer.

Tozarian said:
It doesn't really work that way. Rom dumps are a bit-for-bit dump, so it doesn't really pay any attention to where the files actually start and end. ISOs on the other hand; are filesystems in a file, so it's only as big as it needs to be. You could try ripping videos and such, but there isn't any 'empty space' to remove from an ISO.

strictly speaking? you cant really modify PSx images that much. most of them have code to prevent them from being stripped down, though i dont know how sophisticated it is. I do know that many games use an almost securom tech in it. (there is a program to shrink that dummy data, called ECM, made by neill corlette, who's pretty active in the PSF scene, as he made the spec)

but, unless you wanted to retool the entire disk, probably can't do it.

sephiroth111 said:
strictly speaking? you cant really modify PSx images that much. most of them have code to prevent them from being stripped down, though i dont know how sophisticated it is. I do know that many games use an almost securom tech in it. (there is a program to shrink that dummy data, called ECM, made by neill corlette, who's pretty active in the PSF scene, as he made the spec)

but, unless you wanted to retool the entire disk, probably can't do it.
I've been under the impression that people have been removing the FMVs on discs for ages.

*looks it up* Ah, PocketISO will do the trick.

Back