Pyra 4G Deals / Sim Compatibility

I had no idea it was called MiniSIM... and that SIM refered to credit-card sized. Glad I learned something :)

Here is a Wikipedia graphic showing all sizes:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe..._Card_vs._GSM_Mini_Sim_Card_-_Break_Apart.svg

Hmmm... That chip position in the full-size card is quite suspicious. I remember around 1998 seeing someone open a phone to show (what appeared to me to be) a bank debit card in their phone. I assumed that they were charged directly from the card as they used the phone. So, either that person was using a full-sized SIM card instead (though one that was green and looked suspiciously like a Lloyd's Bank card) OR the full-size SIM card was designed to replace debit/credit cards used in phones.

Does anyone recall phones taking debit/credit cards within them, or full-size SIM cards?

Hmmm... That chip position in the full-size card is quite suspicious. I remember around 1998 seeing someone open a phone to show (what appeared to me to be) a bank debit card in their phone. I assumed that they were charged directly from the card as they used the phone. So, either that person was using a full-sized SIM card instead (though one that was green and looked suspiciously like a Lloyd's Bank card) OR the full-size SIM card was designed to replace debit/credit cards used in phones.

Does anyone recall phones taking debit/credit cards within them, or full-size SIM cards?

The position looks about right to me. I remember seeing full size SIM cards in the 90s. When MiniSIM was introduced, mobile phone providers would provide full size SIM cards that had most of the outline of the MiniSIM drilled out, so if you needed a MiniSIM you just pushed it out of the full sized SIM card and discarded the rest.

-Neelix

The feelers when I remember the biggums sim. I believe if your phone was out of battery you could use them in a payphone.

Nowadays you die in real life if your phone is flat for more than 5 minutes.

Seems the full sized SIM cards are just specialized smart cards, like on a chipped credit card. Didn't know that, either.

The position looks about right to me. I remember seeing full size SIM cards in the 90s. When MiniSIM was introduced, mobile phone providers would provide full size SIM cards that had most of the outline of the MiniSIM drilled out, so if you needed a MiniSIM you just pushed it out of the full sized SIM card and discarded the rest.

-Neelix

Actually it has always been this way for me, even recently. You get a full size SIM (credit-card sized) which has some important info written on it (PUK number...). As you said, the outline is drilled out for MiniSIM or a smaller version depending on the size you ordered.

I've always thought this was just for conveniance that you're just supose to pull out the Mini/Nano/Micro SIM.
Never realized this could potentially be for backward compatibility with full size SIM card phone !

Back