Pyra as a Phone

To put a camera in the lid, the camera module would need to be <=3mm tall including lens AND the board it mounts to. Any more than that and the Pyra becomes a hunchback.

No camera in mine, please. I would rather have it stay the size and cost it will be, and get it soonish. Edit: Oh, and I don't want a camera in it.

I think i can life without Camera inside the Pyra :)
When not i will not try to Modify the Case over the first Years.

I figured out how to do it, to add cameras, even stereoscopic cameras. It's a bad idea, but I figured it out. Side cars.

Expand the lid to the left and the right to make it diamond shaped. Come back off the lid on the left/right/both with pods - they can be up to 2.5cm deep as they close off to the sides of the base/keyboard area. That is enough depth to have two cameras in each pod with one facing in and one facing out or, potentially, very high quality cameras as space for the component is no longer an issue.

Those case lid changes only provides the physical space for the camera(s), though. It would also need additional wiring through the hinge, motherboard changes to provide those signals back to the SoC, etc. Then there is the ugly factor. Those camera pods will be ugly.

However, that would make it possible, in theory. It's still a bad idea though.

hmmm one could print an modified pyra lid case to insert a webcam there ....
Physically putting the camera into a printed case lid with extra room isn't the end of it though. The physical wiring back to the system board, integrating it into the SoC, etc would then all still have to happen. It's a long road. Best to skip it for now.

Then buy a real camera.

-God Ginrai

Yep. I have never used a camera on a laptop, and despite seeing a few idiots taking pictures with their IPads, I have yet to see anyone rolling around taking pictures with a laptop.

I certainly wouldn't want to carry my Pandora around to take pictures with, so I wouldn't do that with a Pyra, neither would most people.

Either use your cell camera or use a dedicated camera.

I have seen a fair amount of people taking pictures with tablets and ipads, so no problemo with Pyra.
An awkward picture is better than none...why do you think UFO´s pictures look as they do? :p

I have seen a fair amount of people taking pictures with tablets and ipads, so no problemo with Pyra.
An awkward picture is better than none...why do you think UFO´s pictures look as they do? :p

You don't always have a cell phone with you? If not you would be the only one in the world, and every phone has a camera.

You don't always have a cell phone with you? If not you would be the only one in the world, and every phone has a camera.
I don't carry one unless I am expecting someone to try to get in touch with me. I prefer not to have one. The one I do carry has the cameras covered.

I don't carry one unless I am expecting someone to try to get in touch with me. I prefer not to have one. The one I do carry has the cameras covered.

Next time I need a foil hat made I shall go to the expert \o/.

All I am saying is there are very few practical reasons to have a camera on a laptop or the Pyra (the one exception is Skype but most people use their phones for that rather than a laptop and you don't need a rear facing camera for Skype.)

You and the other guy are the only ones that want a camera so you can walk around taking pictures with a minilaptop, the rest of us rightly think it is ridiculous.

Yep, I don´t carry it with me all times, I hate carrying things around so I do similar to rygD, I don´t even have a cel number, only use internet comm with it as conversations get saved.
I have been doing that for the past 5 years and have been using hangout to communicate with people way before that, biz and personal.

I don´t see me coming back to a "hold a brick to ear" age and you won´t see me wearing a watch, is that a tendency or am I an alien?
Either way, a portable computer like Pyra + cam would be a perfect fit for my comm needs.
Not that the Pyra needs a cam just for me, I sure could go the 'attach cam' way, but it would be nice to have it all in one, at least the front camera.

What phone is that ? Did you covered it by yourself, with a sticker or a custom case ?
Next time I need a foil hat made I shall go to the expert \o/.
I have the cameras covered...with foil. The reason is pretty simple: I didn't have any paper that matched the black on it, and the foil looked better than using pink (as used on the one I used before it) or white paper. I covered them instead of ripping them out so I could either resell it or possibly use them. I think there is one of those really cheap older style ones that just has the numbers and a week of battery life (and no camera) somewhere, but I stopped using it since I mostly text.

All I am saying is there are very few practical reasons to have a camera on a laptop or the Pyra (the one exception is Skype but most people use their phones for that rather than a laptop and you don't need a rear facing camera for Skype.)
Some of us feel this way. When I am planning on taking pictures I am one of those weirdos that will take a dedicated device (currently either a digital camera or my Game Boy Camera. I still have a Polaroid camera I would use if I could afford to feed it. I have been considering going back to 35mm again, just not sure I want to bother with all that since I can't get the film I want at the local places I check.). I think a smartphone camera will work for the needs of most people, as it does with my family and friends. That is actually the argument for including a camera in the Pyra for some people, especially those interested in using it to replace a phone, as this thread is intended to discuss. If you are an average sane person, not like me, that wants to use your Pyra as a replacement to your smartphone you will probably expect a camera, or you miss out on some of the basic functionality you want when you are "upgrading". It makes perfect sense to me to have a camera (or two) if you plan to use this device in those ways. Why carry a smartphone so you can have a camera if you are using your Pyra as a smartphone? That defeats the purpose of the Pyra in those instances. I am not alone in wanting my main communication device to have a keyboard (ED and others also seem to prefer this), and while I don't care (or want) a camera I am sure many people do, especially with how often the topic comes up. It won't fit, and I can't remember the other good arguments, but that doesn't make the cameras less valuable to those that would use them if they were possible to include. Why recommend the device these people are trying to replace with a Pyra based on one feature?

Has anyone been looking into making an add-on camera in recent months?

Edit: I do sometimes use a watch, especially if not carrying a smartphone or other electronic device. Mine are all mechanical pocket watches, and the one a carry most frequently is around a century old. The case isn't flashy, so I love it even more. :D

Reasons why a camera would be nice:

1: Bar-code/QR-Code scanner
2: Augmented Reality
3: Chatting (Skype/Firefox Hello)
4: One device for everything. I hate to carry much stuff with me.

That camera of course would not make brilliant pictures. It's more for things you see somewhere you want to keep/remember. Things like an advertisement you see, some funny things, some handwritten notes you want to copy ...

Yep, the way a typical person uses their smartphone.

Edit: You all are making me really feel like a freak. I carry a tiny notebook and a space pen for notes.

Back