Pyra carry case

Not sure if this fits the conversation. I have had a NarMoo W1M headset for around a year and a half. They have a low profile 90 degree piece next to the connector. It isn't flush, but I like it better than the adapter linked earlier.

I don't really like that the cable is red, or how soft the cable is (hasn't been a problem so far), or the little screw in thingies to adjust bass (I think I use the one with the least bass). They are showing the abuse I have given them, but they function fine (not in the Pandora, as I mentioned in another thread long ago, but there should be no problems when used with the Pyra).

I also have another wired...handset, that I will try out for stationary office and home use if I start making more calls. Also a Bluetooth handset, although most people would probably be fine with a Bluetooth headset (I personally find them irritating). With Bluetooth headsets or headphones the case you use probably won't matter.

Something like that?
Just wanted to ask, what you mean. When quoting you, I see there's some media meant to be embeded, but nothing shows up in your post. ? Disabling µBlock and µMatrix doesn't change that.

Hopefully someone out there knows of a case btw for the pyra which is also hard/strong -- what I mean is that I'm also thinking of trying to find/get some sort of case to put the pyra in so if it accidentally got dropped .... well, the pyra would not survive if it got dropped onto a hard floor x.x

ljones

Hopefully someone out there knows of a case btw for the pyra which is also hard/strong -- what I mean is that I'm also thinking of trying to find/get some sort of case to put the pyra in so if it accidentally got dropped .... well, the pyra would not survive if it got dropped onto a hard floor x.x

ljones

Define survive?

If I drop it and the screen shatters but the unit still boots and displays to an external monitor and I can easily order a replacement and swap out the screen - did it survive?

The main boards are pretty well cased and the case itself is unlikely to shatter. Sudden resumption of gravity is known to shatter glass screens - but otherwise, it should be pretty darn durable.

Define survive?

If I drop it and the screen shatters but the unit still boots and displays to an external monitor and I can easily order a replacement and swap out the screen - did it survive?

The main boards are pretty well cased and the case itself is unlikely to shatter. Sudden resumption of gravity is known to shatter glass screens - but otherwise, it should be pretty darn durable.
I would say yes, as you can always get a new screen.

I would say yes, as you can always get a new screen.
Pandora LCD screens have been out of stock for quite some time now. I think the very last ones were used to build the last Pandoras.

So replacement screens won't always be available. ;)

Replacement screens for the Pandora ARE available.
Hmm, didn't notice them being in stock again.

Maybe I should try to replace the my cracked LCD Pandora after all. How difficult is to replace the LCD?
I had replaced the LCD cable before, but the LCD is attached to the case with some (strong) sticky tape right?

i'll assume you know you're being poetic, but just in case anyone is wondering, gravity doesn't shut off or turn back on ;). that's what the strange feeling is in your butt (if you're sitting down), or in your feet (if you're standing up). equal and opposite forces baby.

but yes, the plastic is supposed to be very strong, given the videos we have from FormAction.

i'll assume you know you're being poetic, but just in case anyone is wondering, gravity doesn't shut off or turn back on ;). that's what the strange feeling is in your butt (if you're sitting down), or in your feet (if you're standing up). equal and opposite forces baby.

but yes, the plastic is supposed to be very strong, given the videos we have from FormAction.

Yes, I was being poetic. The implication being that while airborne after flinging itself out of your fingers at the only angle you're incapable of catching it, a flying Pyra enters a 'weightless state' much like you or I would on the Vomit Commet. Uppon the end of it's journey all of the gravity that it had been perceptually avoiding during it's 9.8m/s^2 travels is suddenly applied all at once (impact).

Now, what if we -could- turn gravity off and on for a small space? Or even funnel gravity such that it is more intense on one section of space than another? No net loss of gravity - just make it 10% stronger in this side of a box and 10% weaker in the other side. Now picture a wheel in the box. The side with greater gravity will pull more than the side with less. Add a few magnets and a coil - free electrical power! To this end I am now ready to sell physics hackers cardboard dev boxes for only $100 each for you to conduct your own experiments in... (joke)

Back on topic...
I could see using a small Pelican case if you're concerned about taking a Pyra camping, canoeing, mountain climbing, etc. My plan is to simply put it in my pocket. If it's raining, I plan to put it in a quart sized zip top freezer storage bag first. Big protective cases have their applications. If my pocketable computer's case gets a few wear marks and scars, though, that just means it's done it's job.

Now, what if we -could- turn gravity off and on for a small space? Or even funnel gravity such that it is more intense on one section of space than another? No net loss of gravity - just make it 10% stronger in this side of a box and 10% weaker in the other side. Now picture a wheel in the box. The side with greater gravity will pull more than the side with less. Add a few magnets and a coil - free electrical power!
Not with a static gravitational field, because it is a conservative vector field. So in any looped trajectory in the field the net work done is zero.

So in your "wheel in box with funky gravity" example for each complete turn the wheel won't experiment any net acceleration/deceleration. If the wheel is unbalanced then it might tend to be pulled towards some specific position. But if the wheel is perfectly balanced then for each part of the wheel pulled in one direction there will be some other part pulled in the opposite direction, with all forces canceling each other out in the end.

Not with a static gravitational field, because it is a conservative vector field. So in any looped trajectory in the field the net work done is zero.

So in your "wheel in box with funky gravity" example for each complete turn the wheel won't experiment any net acceleration/deceleration. If the wheel is unbalanced then it might tend to be pulled towards some specific position. But if the wheel is perfectly balanced then for each part of the wheel pulled in one direction there will be some other part pulled in the opposite direction, with all forces canceling each other out in the end.

You're making the assumption that magic isn't involved. The whole point of the thought experiment is to have -differential- gravitational pull in two areas of space.

So - if there were a hypothetical magical dividing wall placed on the axis of the wheel. The left half experiences 1.1g, the right half experiences 0.9g. At that ponit it's pretty much a paddle wheel.

Consider a radiometer.
http://blog.teachersource.com/2012/01/11/what-is-a-radiometer/
It works by having a light/dark side - effectively a filter or reflective material to decrease the interaction on one side vs the other. The same effect can be had by having all dark faces but applying a filter/block on only one side then supplying the light/radiation from a point source to the device.

Gravity waves are a thing. We know now that Gravity is not necesarily a constant, but that in extreme cases it can be caused to fluctuate. If those waves can be filtered, shifted or otherwise differentiated between the effective point source and regulated to differential points on our hypothetical generator, it becomes a bit less hypothetical.

So, when we crack this cosmological constant thing or figure out a brane shifting shield to funnel or filter gravitational waves to or from other dimensions... yeah, OK, this is where the magic comes in.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." -A.C. Clark
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clarke's_three_laws

You're making the assumption that magic isn't involved. The whole point of the thought experiment is to have -differential- gravitational pull in two areas of space.

So - if there were a hypothetical magical dividing wall placed on the axis of the wheel. The left half experiences 1.1g, the right half experiences 0.9g. At that ponit it's pretty much a paddle wheel.
And what I'm saying is that "magical dividing wall" goes against what physics say. But if you throw physics out of the window and replace it with magic then anything is possible. lol.

Gravity waves are a thing. We know now that Gravity is not necesarily a constant, but that in extreme cases it can be caused to fluctuate. If those waves can be filtered, shifted or otherwise differentiated between the effective point source and regulated to differential points on our hypothetical generator, it becomes a bit less hypothetical.
Waves carry energy. So yes, if you supply energy to the system via some kind of gravity wave then the system could be accelerated in that manner. The system would work like a gravity wave antenna of sorts.

So, when we crack this cosmological constant thing or figure out a brane shifting shield to funnel or filter gravitational waves to or from other dimensions... yeah, OK, this is where the magic comes in.
As long as the energy is coming from somewhere. That's the point I'm trying to make: the energy has to come from somewhere.

Last edited:
Hey, um, this is a bit premature, but I believe EvilDragon said Gameboy carrying cases would work, so how about this thing?

Then again, I wouldn't want the police to think I'm packing a Beretta, so hopefully you're working on a holster that exposes part of the Pyra.

FWIW, I wouldn't buy a holster for my Pyra - I don't plan on carrying it on my belt. It's probably big enough that I'd catch it on things (at least my elbows) when walking, and it'd make sitting down rather tricky. I want a case that can protect the Pyra when put in with other luggage in a bag.

If it proves durable enough, and I ever have times where I want to carry it but won't want it in my pocket, maybe I will get another one of the GB purse type cases to use with it instead of a pelican case. I have one that would be fine, however I want to get one that has the pink logo, like the fanny pack I had long ago. There are also some bright orange ones I have seen a couple pictures of, and I have been looking for one of those for years.

The Pyra should be the perfect GB for adults, imo at least, not that I will be getting rid of my original ones anytime soon.

If you think sitting down would be too tricky, it does also come in clip-on form. Search "ripoffs co-53" on Amazon.

I'm now thinking I want a regular zip all the way up carry case with a hard plastic or metal ring so I can dangle it from my belt though. Much like the official Vita carry case I have now.

Last edited:
Back