Pyra Christmas Present unboxing

Wouldn't be possible with all the donators (which ED still has to reveal by reading the engravements..)

Yes... but I need to get a VERY good magnifier lens first... it's REALLY hard to read :/

As you requested some pictures, here you are:

Rings1.jpg Rings2.jpg Rings3.jpg Rings4.jpg

Love the scale effect on the outside of the rings! I can almost read some of the etched names on those photos, but the cursive text is harder to guess at than printed text when it's not quite in focus. They look awesome though!

Hi all :)

@mclien : thanks for the hard work on the rings, they really do look beautiful !

@EvilDragon: is Lady Dragon pleased with her Christmas present ?

Cheers, Magic Sam

P.S: that's a nice puppy you have here :)

Now, I have to say something, too :)
The rings are great, thank you very much! It was really a big surprise I got a ring, too, I didn't expect it. And thanks, mclien for the great work, it musst have been hard to cut out the pyra-logo.

I didn't want to be on the Video (I'm a little shy ;-) ), so ED did it at night while I was sleeping, so I recieved the ring yesterday evening.

But I didn't do much for the pyra, except a little mental Support.

You guys are great!

Lady Dragon

@fen_fire Don't underestimate your role/amount of support in here. Nobody knows how much ideas on this world aren't going to the see light because the mental support of a/the wife is missing! It may seems small to you, but it really isn't, trust me.
the hard part of cutting the logo is mostly hitting the line, when the eyes aren't as good as they were some years ago (might be even look very silly wearing reading glasses and magnifying glasses). But the hardest part surprisingly was the soldering (2 materials and one solder type I never used before. Somewhat terrifying with the material value at stake..).
Oh, and I'm lucky you like it. Thanks for being part of the conspiracy.
Could you decipher the engraving in your ring? If, so do you like it?)

@Klumpen @Cloudef (and all the others who weren't involved):
sincere apologies. Problem was, to hide it from ED, which was me guessing, who to invite, by guessing who might be in, willing to donate and so on. Additionally you can only invide 10 people to a conversation, so I already had to keep track of 2 conversations. So sorry to all I forgot or wasn't aware of to invite.

As a compensation I'm willing to do the following: I recently discovered, that there are precious sheetmetals, which consist of 2 layers (on silver and a thiner one in gold). That should make the a silver ring with a redgold logo (thin plated redgold on siler) affordable, material wise. I#ll get the price for those and offer to all "forgotten" ones (and all donaters, of course) to do those for material costs. (Depending on requests, you might have to wait a while to get them, tough)
EDIT: Or (even better): meet me/us on one of the events we attend and do it yourself.

Last edited:
Well, compared to the Pandora (which has cost me a lot of nerves and much more), the Pyra is not much zu worry about. It means just to deal with ED working and working and working... At least Dragon Dog is spending time with me :-D
Yeah, I liked the engraving, although it was hard to read. The engraving is so thin.
Unfortunately the ring is a little bit too tight, in summer I shouldn't be able to get it from the finger. But now it fits :)

Yes... but I need to get a VERY good magnifier lens first... it's REALLY hard to read :/
I know (easy to say for me, 'caus ethey are part of my equipment.):
https://www.mclien.de/gold/index.ph..._path=impression&crnt_img=067.jpg&crnt_num=21
And it was quite a bit of work to get all the donators nicknames into the ring...
[doublepost=1484051423,1484050647][/doublepost]
Yeah, I liked the engraving, although it was hard to read. The engraving is so thin.
Unfortunately the ring is a little bit too tight, in summer I shouldn't be able to get it from the finger. But now it fits :)
Thought that would work better with eye not as old and tired as mine...
As to the size of the ring: With this design it's way easier to widen the rings a bit, that's why they are made a bit on the the "safe side". Can be easily done with the right tool, either when we meet some time or by a goldsmith.

Reactions: rSl
And it was quite a bit of work to get all the donators nicknames into the ring...
'The writing, which at first was as clear as red flame, has all but disappeared – a secret now that only fire can tell.'
Sorry, 'I can resist anything except temptation'.

Impressive work and excellent idea.
We are so used to clean and polished videos from ED, always very factual.
It was pleasant seeing him unaware of things to come and ... moved I would say.

As a compensation I'm willing to do the following...

That's very kind, and it would indeed have been a fun project to have been involved in, especially to finally see his reaction, which was priceless :)

There are, however, other ways to show support, and I'm sure donations are equally appreciated...

That's very kind, and it would indeed have been a fun project to have been involved in, especially to finally see his reaction, which was priceless :)

There are, however, other ways to show support, and I'm sure donations are equally appreciated...
At least we ALL can see the reaction.
And I agree to the second sentence too. It was simply something I can put my skills in. So anyone who would have liked to be part of this could/should consider to donate something to the pyra project.

I was wondering what was on ED's wedding band/other ring, and what significance it has.

I didn't want to be on the Video (I'm a little shy ;-) )
I understand, I am the same way. I hide from cameras even when things won't be shared publicly, and my family hates that.

Ever thought of selling those rings as Pyra goodies via the Dragonbox shop ?
There are mugs, tees, keychain ... Rings made by a member of the community would be even better.
Have no idea about business involvements though.

You seem to be OK to sell them for material costs.
Any price-supplement could be seen as a project donation.

Just suggesting ideas here. Your work, your call.

As a compensation I'm willing to do the following: I recently discovered, that there are precious sheetmetals, which consist of 2 layers (on silver and a thiner one in gold). That should make the a silver ring with a redgold logo (thin plated redgold on siler) affordable, material wise. I#ll get the price for those and offer to all "forgotten" ones (and all donaters, of course) to do those for material costs. (Depending on requests, you might have to wait a while to get them, tough)
EDIT: Or (even better): meet me/us on one of the events we attend and do it yourself.

That's very generous from you ! But what about proposing the silver Pyra rings for sale on the DragonBox's website (if doable)? You could put a limit on how many pieces you're willing to make at any given moment, and set the price a bit higher than material costs: your work gets rewarded and/or the money helps the Pyra. Imagine having hand-made rings as "merchandise", that would be way more impressive than mugs, keychains or shirts, and quite unique !

Ever thought of selling those rings as Pyra goodies via the Dragonbox shop ?
Ok, I'm a bit late, but we got the exact same idea :)

I don't know how long mclien's been working on these rings, but I first became aware of them about two months ago, when mclien was seeking donations to cover material costs.

Perhaps having made these he can be faster making other rings, and if they're made out of simpler to use materials, it could well be quicker, but still I think it'd take him quite a while to build a decent stock level.

Still, it's his decision whether to go for this idea or not, and I should try not to preempt him.

Back