Pyra Phone

The only thing I've ever seen EvilDragon say related to this issue was that he was considering a 3G chip, for 3G data purposes.
The difference between adding a 3G chip and adding a 3G module with voice capabilities is just 3 wires. There isn't even a cost difference. While he did not explicitly say he considered phone capabilities he would have to be mad (or simply not have all the information in which case I would gladly provide it) not to consider the possibility.
Wizardstan post#10 makes a very convincing argument for Pyra to have an optional phone capability.
Keep in mind that it is still a physical challenge being able to do it, whoever is designing the board needs to find the space for it and run several traces which typically means sacrificing other features. It probably won't happen for this reason, but we can dream.

Pretty sure getting a phone certified for use in europe isnt free, nor is probably the additional fees associated to licensing...

The physical challenge for having a software defined radio, transmitting whatever power you want, isnt that great. The potential to get sued, shut down and whatnot is increasingly so.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder how much it would cost to add, I know in the iPhone part/cost break downs they always do, that the chip(s) etc required are the second most expensive item in the list, right behind the screen.   Maybe ED has some insight into the cost.

I'm wondering about how certification and licensing works for 3G/4G devices on an international basis... If (for example) the device would need to be certified separately for each country it is to be sold in, it may be more trouble and/or expense than it is worth. Do we have any information about that kind of thing?

- Neelix

Some of the modules are already certified. I wonder if there's a loophole whereby the Pyra could be designed with the connector but never shipped with the module installed, and people need to buy the module separately and install it themselves. That would move us back to physical limitations.

I'm wondering about how certification and licensing works for 3G/4G devices on an international basis... If (for example) the device would need to be certified separately for each country it is to be sold in, it may be more trouble and/or expense than it is worth. Do we have any information about that kind of thing?

- Neelix
Certainly not per country, I guess worst case would be like EU/US/some others

I think the phone version should have a mic and speaker on the lid for calls.

^ or the cheapo method, add some tiny holes on each side of the bottom so you can hear the speaker and have your voice go through to the mic. The supreme cheapo alternative :)

^ or the cheapo method, add some tiny holes on each side of the bottom so you can hear the speaker and have your voice go through to the mic. The supreme cheapo alternative :)
Maybe.  Notbad.jpg

I think some people are misunderstanding that "optional 3g+GPS" a little. There most likely won't really be two versions of the Pyra. There will be one PCB version and one case version, only one version of everything. It's just that on the PCB which goes in every Pyra there is a socket for the 3g+gps module and probably every Pyra will have the SIM card slot (it just won't be usable if you don't buy the 3g+gps module).

How practical is this, if we match the holes of where the mic and speaker will be?

Back