Release Qemu for Pandora (for rebirth competition)

We will see, if someone tries :)

Something non 3d up to a pentium 60 should be possible.

There are several other old games available free - which ones would work with QEMU?
According to mobygames dragonsphere has the highest hardware requirements (386), so dragonsphere, teenagent and Ultima 4 should work without a hassle. BASS and Lure of Temptress can be played via ScummVM and there is already a port for tyrian.

Yes, touchscreen doesn't work for dos and win95 atm. As said by Thatgui, win98 can use the touchscreen with the -usb -usb-tablet option.

You can use an external mouse though :)

I installed windows 98 and am having trouble with the usb tablet option. I tried it on qemu on my computer and it worked with "-usb -usbdevice tablet"

I have tried both that and the one you posted, but it doesn't pick it up on the pandora.

EDIT: It will not even launch with the one you posted.

After looking around some more it seems it may be a bug with this version of qemu. https://bugs.launchpad.net/qemu/+bug/894037

Can you apply a fix or compile an older version? I am using 0.11.1 on my computer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, in DOS filenames can only have 8 characters.
But a nocdcrack might be a solution.

Ya, but I think that's what the problem is. The reason the install didn't work might be because those filenames are being shortened by the system, and the install program can't find the proper files. Would that be a formatting problem or something? I honestly didn't have experience with qEmu or Windows 95 before this, so I'm just guessing. :p

So I've tried 4 CD-Cracks now - they all work on my main Windows 7 Install, but in qEmu I still get the CD Required prompt. I'm thinking that I must be missing something... but I don't know what.

Getting this to work has been wracking my brain for days now. I feel like I'm so close, and yet so far at the same time.

Maybe I should try that demo version that's been mentioned... or maybe just try Win98. I donno.

EDIT: To elaborate on the file naming problem, not all files that are more then 8 characters long are being converted. It seems that if there's a space in the file name, then it decides to rename it or look at the file name differently. Otherwise, the file name is fine.

Well, in DOS filenames can only have 8 characters.
But a nocdcrack might be a solution.

Ya, but I think that's what the problem is. The reason the install didn't work might be because those filenames are being shortened by the system, and the install program can't find the proper files. Would that be a formatting problem or something? I honestly didn't have experience with qEmu or Windows 95 before this, so I'm just guessing. :p

So I've tried 4 CD-Cracks now - they all work on my main Windows 7 Install, but in qEmu I still get the CD Required prompt. I'm thinking that I must be missing something... but I don't know what.

Getting this to work has been wracking my brain for days now. I feel like I'm so close, and yet so far at the same time.

Maybe I should try that demo version that's been mentioned... or maybe just try Win98. I donno.

EDIT: To elaborate on the file naming problem, not all files that are more then 8 characters long are being converted. It seems that if there's a space in the file name, then it decides to rename it or look at the file name differently. Otherwise, the file name is fine.

Have you tried applying the patch before you copy it into qemu?

The touchscreen definately Works with your commandline Arguments. I had it working more than once in this version.

The touchscreen definately Works with your commandline Arguments. I had it working more than once in this version.

Well, I don't understand what is going wrong. I have the same base image on my pc as I do on my pandora.

On my pc it detects a pci to usb card and installs drivers and finds a Human Interface Device and then it works, but on the Pandora it doesn't even detect the usb. I tried adding it manually, but it says it's not communicating with it. I used the monitor and checked that the tablet was loaded and it said it was.

Just curious what did you used for video drivers for windows 95? I can't seem to get more than 16 color graphics with the current driver bundled with windows 95.

I'm having trouble getting the CD drive correctly detected in Win95 or Win98 SE. It always boots with the new drive in the hardware manager but not in My Computer, I need to go into the hardware manager and tell it to use a different driver and it will be detected. If I reboot I will have to do that again and the old drive will still be in the hardware manager.

On another note, I found this while doing research on Win98. Someone said they they gained a lot of performance after installing this driver. I don't know if it would increase performance under QEMU but it looks like it is worth a shot.

http://www.japheth.de/Jemm.html

@Liboicl, Did you install the pcibridge drivers on Pandora?

The drivers are detected wrong. You need to delete the plug and play bios in the hwmanager and install the pci-bridge drivers manually. After that it should find the usb controller etc.

Thought this was on the wiki...

@Liboicl, Did you install the pcibridge drivers on Pandora?

The drivers are detected wrong. You need to delete the plug and play bios in the hwmanager and install the pci-bridge drivers manually. After that it should find the usb controller etc.

Thought this was on the wiki...

It's on the wiki, not that clear, its in capital letters but kinda buried in the install procedure.

I'd love to make optimized Windows images for everyone to enjoy, but it is the problem with microsoft, that we can't do it legally.

It would be much easier for everyone, but as microsoft won't ever release even older software as freeware, everyone has to go through the troubles of making his own images.

Well, thanks to this closed source bullsh**

Mcobit, is it possible for you to make a tutorial in a youtube video or something? There are just things not working and I have no idea how to get them to work properly. I've never used anything older then Windows XP :p

I have gotten some success running ISO images as shared folders under Windows 7, and my stuff looks like it's all installing fine.

Any pointers on getting the cirrus logic graphics drivers and sound blaster 16 drivers? They are apparently not on the Windows 98 CD.

Edit: Maybe I spoke too soon, RCT installer crashed, Maybe I will try installing the game in Windows 7 then just copying the folder over.

Best method is probably to make the image with qemumanager on windows for you and copying the image to the sd and running it on pandora anyway.

I could make a videotutorial on how to install win98 with drivers and stuff on windows, but I have little time right now.

Will take some weeks maybe.

If the drivers don't work, please read the wiki again. Win98 should have the drivers for everything. You should remove the plug and play bios in the hwmanager though and install the pci-bridge for usb to work, as mentioned before.

Hmm, I am doing this all on QemuManager. The hardware is all being detected but many have the a yellow !.

I'd love to make optimized Windows images for everyone to enjoy, but it is the problem with microsoft, that we can't do it legally.

It would be much easier for everyone, but as microsoft won't ever release even older software as freeware, everyone has to go through the troubles of making his own images.

Well, thanks to this closed source bullsh**
Someone could make an AutoIT or Autohotkey script to do the heavy lifting after getting the base install done.

Back