Release Qemu for Pandora (for rebirth competition)

Well, I guess I just start with the great pre-built bundles you've already made. :) I actualy don't need Windows on my Pandora, there are already many DOS games to test and I guess they run much better than Win games in Qemu.

Was Fallout 1 (DOS) already tested? It is available for free at the moment and it would be cool if this game is playable on the Pandora. :)

I just want to get Age of Empires 2 to run :)

But what we really need is for someone to add 800x480 display support to the emulated Cirrus VGA card, and then edit the install .inf files to expose the display - that would rock.

D.

Last edited by a moderator:
So far i have toiled a while getting the right windows 95 image. It was hell there is a huge amount of diffrent images, a, b and c and upgrade and OEM disks. It was rather confusing. After i found that my old original win 95 disk was ruined, i downloaded (after a few trial and error attempts) the right image. I fumbled around a bit with the settings Fallout 1 is running fairly well in windows 95 with a 800 mhz overclock. But i am having trouble with direct X 3 i have installed direct x 5, but fallout wouldn't recognize this, so i installed a version of direct x 3.0. It seemed to work untill i rebooted the VM then fallout woulden't regognize any direct x installation. I can run direct x 3.0 again to make it work, but it only works as long as you do not reboot the system.

Ive also tried raptor, needed no setup at all, just ran out of the box. fairly nicely actually, very pleased about that :) - But i think we need some more noob-friendly documentation.

- Sigurd

Fallout should run with dos, too, shouldn't it? May be even faster.

I agree that installing images is not easy and we need good documentation. That is what we made the wikipage for. If you have found some issues or want to share a good way of installing windows, feel free to add it to the wiki.

Nice, that you got some games running. If you overclock to 1000 mhz, it will be even smoother.

Im having some issues with the overclocking, i would like to try it. But i have never tried it before, apart from the GUI tool. Do i have to use the

Code:
"echo 1000 > /proc/pandora/cpu_mhz_max"

command? and the same on the OPP?

As for the windows installation i ended up using a bootable windows 95 cd that pretty much only needed a "enter" from me then installed. I tried messing around with fdisk but i had some crummy win 95 images so that weren't going so well.

I used the "win95c_osr25" image on this site:
( LINK REMOVED )

Im not sure of the source or weather its legal or not. All i know is that it works :)

Installing fallout 1 was only a matter of copying the fallout installed files from gog.com to a random directory on the VM - but i am still having the odd problems with direct x and its really getting annoying to have to install every time i boot windows :)

EDIT: PS. Another thing, it seems that there is some kind of limit on the shared folder, when going above about 400mb qemu would'nt start at all, when i brought the amount of data in the shared folder down, it started working again.

EDIT2: when trying to run fallout 1 in DOS i tried to run "falloutw.exe" but i got the error: "this is a Windows NT windowed executable"

EDIT3: Removed the link for the site. PM me if you want "hints"

@sigurd - I'm not sure how Legit that site is listed above

yeah I need to find a newer version of Windows 95, I have the windows 95 upgrade.. which doesn't have any of the service pack upgrades.. so no fat32 support.

I've been trying to find windows 95 service pack updates online.. but microsoft's page isn't yielding anything.

Im pretty sure its not legal. But i also find it appalling that microsoft is withholding an operating system that can hardly be bought anymore. - But i had the same problem Trashy, i only had a upgrade CD and that didn't work at all. :/

The shared folder is fat, that means it can't be bigger than 512 mb I think.

Edit: But this was stated on the wiki and in this thread. Also in the readme.

any tips for freezing on install issues? I have tried a few different windows 95 versions and they all seem to freeze. Once the install starts transferring files after the initial disk check it will lock up. sorry thats not right. It freezes after it transfers files when it is preparing to install. Add windows 98 to doing this as well.... I tried the alternate installer route too listed in the wiki and it froze as well.

no.. I was trying to do everything on the pandora but it looks like thats what was causing the problems. Just got 95 loaded via pc. I did have to do it on my windows install which was kind of a pain. It would go further on my linux machine but crash later. Must not have had everything configured correctly. but its up now, trying to load starcraft. Fairly new to qemu but I used this guide to transfer stuff the qcow2 image to get around the 500mb shared folder limit,

Finally got the time to get this up and running. Threw a Win95 image together and it worked, no fuss! I haven't actually run any other software yet, but I have given the relevant section of the wiki a bit of a cleanup.

Thanks Gruso,

Additions to the wiki are much appreciated :)

Im still having issues with my CD-ROM drive in Windows 95. When i have no image mounted it will display a CD drive as drive E, but when i mount a drive in qemu it won't show drive e at all. I allready installed the drivers (oakcdrom.sys + the other one) but it didnt seem to change anything.

I also tried to make the changes to the plug and play bios in the device manager but i cannot seem to find out how to change it to PCI-BUS :/ - Any tips?

I have a tipp,that i try for you because RCT.

Try to run RCT in your Image in Qemu Manager for PC,and when it works on Qemu Manager on PC,

then should you use that Image on Pandora and it should work on Pandora too.

I try it too ^_^

Does it emulate sound well? How well does it run Rave eJay?

Back