Release Qemu for Pandora (for rebirth competition)

Darkknight512: did you do what I said and installed the pci-bridge?

I somehow killed windows so Windows 98 is reinstalling again.

Your taking about changing the "plug and play bios" to "PCI Bus" then yes, I have done that on all installations. There is no "pci bridge" on mine.

Edit: Windows 98 has installed, and it cannot find the Windows 98 disk, which is mounted, is this supposed to happen (it has happened every time so far)? Will be fixing the plug an play bios thing in a second.

Last edited by a moderator:
Better copy the win98 disk to the image or just select the win98 folder on your image when prompted.

There are quite some tutorials online how to install win98 and 95 in qemu.

Hmm, I have gotten a bit farther now. The sound works. Graphics drivers are installed and are apparently working according to Windows 98, I can change the color depth in the display settings.

Then I reboot, it will crash with a messed up boot screen. Reboot again, and tell me my graphics adapter does not support the display settings.

Can you send me the Cirrus 5446 drivers your using? Mine just don't seem to want to work at all.

Hmm, I can't seem to get RCT running, the game starts now though. I get that little window that pops up asking for the CD. I just point it at my install directory (with the CD data files copied to it) and it will pass, then the game will crash.

I know the game is doing something because see the colors mess up a little on the desktop, then the whole thing goes black, the desktop begins to load again and give me an error saying, "GSK Error Trapper" and the message is all 0's.

Any chance of there being any cross-development of this and M-HT's version of Dosbox? I figured there would be a fair bit of overlap, yet there may be some optimizations in one that the other lacks. If nothing else, working together may produce more or better results than working separately...

Have you tried applying the patch before you copy it into qemu?

These patches are really just EXE files that you replace the old EXE with. That said though, I haven't tried exchanging the EXE's outside of qEmu and copying it back into the system... Might have to try that. :p

Hmm, I can't seem to get RCT running, the game starts now though. I get that little window that pops up asking for the CD. I just point it at my install directory (with the CD data files copied to it) and it will pass, then the game will crash.

I know the game is doing something because see the colors mess up a little on the desktop, then the whole thing goes black, the desktop begins to load again and give me an error saying, "GSK Error Trapper" and the message is all 0's.

You're at the same point I've gotten to. I can't get past that error screen.

I'm giving Windows 95 a try, hopefully with some luck I can get the USB tablet working in Windows 95 since this is the version with USB support but I somehow doubt it.

Funny thing is, Windows 95 pretty much works out of the box in comparison to Windows 98, the graphics drivers and sound drivers just work while in Windows 98 they took quite a bit of poking. Not to mention Windows 95 is a lot faster.

Any chance of there being any cross-development of this and M-HT's version of Dosbox? I figured there would be a fair bit of overlap, yet there may be some optimizations in one that the other lacks. If nothing else, working together may produce more or better results than working separately...

This should not matter and would not help much QEMU and DOSbox are separate projects, as far as I know the two projects don't share any code.

Edit: Same error with RCT Win95, Well, I'm going to try running RCT on ReactOS, maybe that will work out of the blue.

Edit 2: Same error in ReactOS, tested the game in Windows 7, it runs fine. I have no idea how you got this game running ingoreis

Edit 2: Same error in ReactOS, tested the game in Windows 7, it runs fine. I have no idea how you got this game running ingoreis

Well that is quite unfortunate. :(

I believe Ingoreis said something about running the Demo version and not the full one. Maybe we should try messing with that?

I donno. I'm kinda lost where to go at this point.

It's always been a dream for me to be able to play Rollercoaster Tycoon on the go, so I really hope we can come up with some solution...

That could be why, maybe the NoCD and when you don't use NoCD, Securom is screwing with everything.

Win95 will not work wirh rhe touchscreen, because even when it has usb support, it won't have the hdi drivers for it.

Dosbox is something completely different and changing qemu to be easier won't really work, as it is as easy as it is on the pc.

You need to experiment and try. As said, it would be a lot easier, if Win9x would be in public domain..l

Hi i have a added a Driver Section what for Drivers are recommend for Qemu in the Pwiki :)

http://pandorawiki.o...commend_Drivers

Only one Driver had i not testet,the MSDOS CD Rom Driver Installation,you should can install it with the shared folder Option in Win9x too,please report here that it works ^_^

That video driver crashes Win98SE, the built-in driver is better and actually has directdraw acceleration. Haven't tried the soundblaster driver yet, will give that a go next.

Does anyone else lose the nubs in this? Every now and then I have to flip from fullscreen into windowed and back to get a mouse pointer that moves with the nubs! Not bothered about the touchscreen, I never use it.

D.

Never had problems with the nubs...

Windows98 should have all the drivers you need on its cd.

Thought so. I'll get 98lite installed and add-in the win95 explorer, and see about getting a torrent set up with a clean image for people to try. Obviously I'll not be able to advertise it here, so people will need to get in touch with me to acquire it.

D.

Make sure you use 95a or 95b (I extracted the cabs from floppy img's into a folder for the files, extract the cabs and just keep the 3 files it needs on your 98 iso for future) as 95c iso (nearly all iso's out there) will cause massive problems with 98lite.

Maybe it would be legal if you provide a optimized Windows image with all tweaks and stuff but without important windows files so we can add them from our original CDs? Because I don't think I would ever get my windows decent running with Qemu on the Pandora when I read here how complex this task really is. ^^"

Well, I don't think this is possible, sorry.

To play Warcraft 2, Starcraft etc. You only need a win95 image, that is somewhat ok installed.

Games tend not to be much slower, because windows isn't optimized enough. I found, that most hacks let windows run at a lower memoryfootprint, what really shouldn't concern us, as we can give it plenty of RAM.

If you of course, don't only want to play, but use windows efficiently, you won't get around making some tweaks.

BTW, anyone succeeded in running some windows/dos games?

Would be nice to hear :)

Back