Release Qemu for Pandora (for rebirth competition)

Is there any way to redefine keys for DOS games in Qemu or is this only possible if the game has this option?

You can do that only if the game has the option afaik.

You could maybe redefine the dos keymap though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Happy belated birthday ingoreis :)

Many thanks for all the images to test Qemu with aswell, as you two have put TONS of work and effort into this and although getting full Windows OS images to work sounds like a rather painful experience, the potential of what you've put together is pretty stunning.

So opens yet another hope filled chapter for Pandoras box of tricks :)

"We're not worthy!" Springs to mind...

Can someone who was able to get ReactOS and/or Freedos working on QEMU write something on the wiki? I'm thoroughly confused.

I've tried booting the official ReactOS image which was made for QEMU, and it starts off fine, but then it gives an error, "Unable to get file system of D:\" (no matter what, if anything, is mounted to the CD drive).

I've also tried installing Freedos, but every time, after FDISK partitions the drive and reboots, it tries to boot from the harddisk, prints "partition signature != 55AA", and hangs.

mcrobit's images are useless to me (as far as I can tell) because they're in German. At least, they were the last time I tried them.

Ahhh i see,right i had made my first Images from Reactos and Freedos in German.

(Sorry for i am German :D )

This Evening i make new Optimizes Images for you in English,promise.

See you then ;)

and Thx again for the Birthday Greetings B)

Edit:Here is the new promised ReactOSImage.

I testet it and it works <_<

http://mcobit.openpandora.org/qemu-images/ReactOSOptimizedinEnglish.rar

I post it later on the Pwiki :p

Tie Fighter works in Pandora QEMU! It needs to have Extended Memory (EMS) available to work properly.

Clocked to 1000 it performs similar the new Dynarec DOSBox but has better mouse support.

Works best in FreeDos 1.1 or MS-DOS (Tested with 6.22 and 7.1) but is slower and in DR-DOS with JEMMEX.EXE.

Here is how to do it:

1. Create a 500MB image using the Imagetools tab on the Pandora or using QEMU on the PC.

2. Install FreeDOS 1.1 from FreeDOS 1.1 Base CD [fd11src.iso] avaliable here: http://www.freedos.org/freedos/files/

3. Copy the existing FDCONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT files for backups.

4. Only these lines are need in the respective files to enable enough EMS to play the TIE Fighter Floppy Disk Version with the Defenders of the Empire Campaign.

For FreeDOS 1.1 use:

EDIT: JEMMEX.EXE can be used without HIMEMX.EXE so it frees 2K of conventional memory, use it instead of JEMM386.EXE.

EDIT2: DOS=HIGH,UMB frees 4K of conventional memory.

In FDCONFIG.SYS:

DEVICE=C:\FDOS\BIN\HIMEMX.EXE

DEVICE=C:\FDOS\BIN\JEMM386.EXE FRAME=D800

DEVICE=C:\FDOS\BIN\JEMMEX.EXE FRAME=D800

DOS=HIGH,UMB

In AUTOEXEC.BAT:

SET PATH=C:\FDOS\BIN\

SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 P330

MOUSE

For MS-DOS 6.22 and 7.1 use:

In CONFIG.SYS:

DEVICE=C:\DOS\HIMEM.EXE

DEVICE=C:\DOS\EMM386.EXE I=E000-EFFF M9 RAM

DOS=HIGH,UMB

In AUTOEXEC.BAT:

SET PATH=C:\DOS\

MOUSE

The TIECD DOS version can also work in QEMU but loading the MSCDEX environment slows it to a crawl so I left it out.

The TIE Fighter Demo will also work with this setup. http://download.cnet...4-10246385.html

Thanks to mcobit, ingoreis, Et al.

Wow very impressive and very good news: :D

You found a way for Jemm386 to use EMS Memory in Qemu Correctly?

I try it and when it work good,i will be able to

make Images with Elder Scolls Series for Pandora and they are totaly Freeware then.

And many other Games Like War Wizard and the Silent Hunter Demo and and and.....

But i try it Tomorrow,because im tired for today and my Bed say to me:Come and sleep...sleep :lol:

Good Work and very amazing News from you,thx ;)

WOW is works well:

here is a Image for the Pandora with Elder Scrolls Arena and Freedos.

tested on my Pandora.

http://mcobit.openpandora.org/qemu-images/FreedosElderScrollsArena.rar

Happy testing and playing B)

After much experimentation JEMMEX.EXE is the way to go for EMS in QEMU.

It uses less memory than others and does not need a separate XMS manger like HIMEM.

It works in many flavors of DOS including FreeDOS, DR-DOS, and MS-DOS.

It can be loaded in config.sys or fdconfig.sys with:

DEVICE=C:\path_to_location\JEMMEX.EXE FRAME=D800

DOS=HIGH,UMB

Where path_to_location is the actual path to the executable.

Use this in autoexcec.bat to enable sound and the mouse:

C:\path_to_location\MOUSE.EXE

or whatever mouse driver you use like CTMOUSE.EXE

You can get JEMMEX.EXE in the Jemm v5.75, stable package found here: http://www.japheth.de/Jemm.html

The Jemm v5.75 package also includes additional utilities like EMSSTAT and MEMSTAT that show memory manager status and display the system's memory layout.

EMS is needed to run EMS games like TIE Fighter in QEMU.

WOW is works well:

here is a Image for the Pandora with Elder Scrolls Arena and Freedos.

tested on my Pandora.

http://mcobit.openpa...crollsArena.rar

Happy testing and playing B)

Nice game. Jemmex also works with DR-DOS and it performs the same as FreeDOS and MS-DOS.

We should be able to add Jemmex your smaller Empty DRDOS image for packaging games.

The FreeDOS images usually use around 100MB disk space, but you do get a full blown DOS environment.

I added Jemmex to your DRDos with Tomb Raider Demo (~10MB actual disk space used) and now it can play EMS games fine.

Thanks again!!!

Many thanks for all the pre made images for qemu.

Much respect to the qemu team for a seriously impressive piece of work, great to see such a leap in performance when compared to Dosbox. :)

Yes!Right!

Jemmex work on DRDos too,here you can test what have the better Speed,for me is it the same,but maybe when you find one faster write here back plz ^_^

here is elder Scrolls Arena with now with DRDos

http://mcobit.openpa...crollsArena.rar

The extracted File Size is about ~30MB,very smaller then the Freedos Image.

Enjoy testing and thx for Votings :wub:

Edit: a little Tip for little Speedup on Qemu.Add in additional Parameters

-no-hpet -no-acpi -balloon none

for Speedup Dos Games :rolleyes:

Come on Community ! Vote for QEMU! Ingo&Mcobit are just to modest ( I hope this word is right in this context), they deserve your vote.

yours sincerely

Robin

(beta tester)

Come on Community ! Vote for QEMU! Ingo&Mcobit are just to modest ( I hope this word is right in this context), they deserve your vote. yours sincerely Robin (beta tester)
Nah! - vote for things with the most potential for awesome - like pnd manager!

I know its a hard Choosing in this Election
wink.png

The others have made many very good Entrys and naturaly

am i honored when you will choose Qemu for First.

Back to Topic: have you Wishes for Dos Freewaregames or Demoversions,

that i make to a Automatic starting Image for you?

write the Name here and when you have Link to the Demo/Freeware i

will make it run for you all if it is possible.
wink.png

Edit: i removed the File with Warcraft2demoversion because it had a Bug :unsure:

I will work now on a Image with Stonekeep Demoversion :)

I really have to test Elder Scrolls Area, would be great if it is playable on the Pandora. Good start with the series, then comes Daggerfall, then Morrowind, then Oblivion and THEN I finaly can start with Skyrim. :D

Edit: a little Tip for little Speedup on Qemu.Add in additional Parameters

-no-hpet -no-acpi -balloon none

for Speedup Dos Games :rolleyes:
Perfect stuff for the Wiki and the readme of the programm (Yes, I read readmes! :D )

I will work now on a Image with Stonekeep Demoversion :)
Somehow I know the name. This was some kind of 3D Dungeon Crawler, right?

Come on Community ! Vote for QEMU! Ingo&Mcobit are just to modest ( I hope this word is right in this context), they deserve your vote.

yours sincerely

Robin

(beta tester)

I had a lot of trouble with Qemu. ingoreis's ReactOS image works, but the CD image and the "share" thingy (which was set to a copy of a directory I usually use for DOSBox) don't seem to work, so the most I could do was play a lame version of Klondike, not being able to use the touchscreen because the cursor was offset. Besides, it's slow. I can't imagine this running Lode Runner Online (the only game I would play using it) smoothly.

Freedos, on the other hand, was something I could use properly (I was able to actually play games with it), but only with the prebuilt image (which, being in German, I find difficult to use), and no sound (come to think of it, no sound in ReactOS either), which is a huge deal-breaker for me. Games that I tried that worked were King's Quest III (but with terrible rendering errors) and Star Control. All fine and dandy, but I swear Star Control is a lot slower in Qemu running Freedos than in DOSBox.

So, in summary: I didn't vote for this because I can't find any use for it, and it makes my head hurt.

Besides that, last time I checked, Qemu was in the lead. Not much to complain about.

Star Control? Ok i will test this Game ;) ,have you written for help?

I renember i made a ReactOS Image for you and right i promised a Freedos Image for English People.

Here is it now :)

http://mcobit.openpa...lishversion.rar

and little Sweety for you all Battle Arena Toshinden Demo ^_^

http://mcobit.openpa...shindenDemo.rar

Happy Voting and when you have problems ,we help when we can.promise :D

Edit:I saw Starcontrol exist on the Amiga too,maybe this Version works better for you,

but i will Try it for PC Dos too :)

Edit Edit: I testet it and it seems to be a bug,because one so old game running so slow.

btw Rayman,Tombraider and many others works well.

Edit Edit Edit:Have anyone found a link to Stonekeep Demo,i found many Sites but no working Link.the dosbox Version doesnt work.

Back