Quake I Released

Last edited by a moderator:
Great!! I played through quake on my old PC (back in the day) with no 3d hardware and got around 12fps, so if what I read is correct and this runs 10-15fps its going to be very cool indeed. Thank you very much woogal.

OK, quick question. I've got Quake running, but I've noticed that in START.MAP, the game crashes whenever I go to enter the pool of water that will take you to episode 4. It's not just me, is it?

I picked up the shareware version from the link (I have the full version somewhere, but can't find it), but as soon as I step on the thingie to take you to the first level, it throws me back to the 2X menu.

Anyone else have this problem?

OK, quick question. I've got Quake running, but I've noticed that in START.MAP, the game crashes whenever I go to enter the pool of water that will take you to episode 4. It's not just me, is it?
I remember it working for me (I made a point of testing water because that was the cause of many crashes on the gp32), but barnesy has mentioned that it crashes for him on 'harmful floors'. Now this sounds like lava to me, which could well mean that all water surfaces can cause the crash.

I picked up the shareware version from the link (I have the full version somewhere, but can't find it), but as soon as I step on the thingie to take you to the first level, it throws me back to the 2X menu.

Anyone else have this problem?
Known problem. Only works with the full version at the moment. I'm out of action for a little while for various reasons, but as soon as I've got a working system up and running again this is the first bug I'm going to be looking at.

Edit: Please use this thread ( http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=22277 ) to post/check bugs.

problem with quake 3 on the axim 51v is the control scheme.

I'm sure the buttons are not good for playing fps.

I had my ipaq 4155 and didn't even bother with those "ports" like quake and duke3d or other fps or other emujlation gamming for that matter because I don't like the control feel of playing on a pocketpc.

but the gp2x is another matter. full game scheme buttons and layout. (tho not specifficlly good for fps tho)

here's the double edge sword
- axim. play Q3 in 25 fps but control sucks
- gp2x good gamming controls but can't get 25 fps at such screen details

It might just the general brownish colours on quake but i find it extremely dark, I can hardly see anything at all in natural daylight, seems to work best in the dark using the back light

Thanks Woogal by the way, i look forward to your future work.

It might just the general brownish colours on quake but i find it extremely dark, I can hardly see anything at all in natural daylight, seems to work best in the dark using the back light

Thanks Woogal by the way, i look forward to your future work.
Turn the brightness up :huh:

Edit : Its in the the options menu after launching quake.

Back