Question About Vektar & Payback Protection

The Master

Quick question for anyone who might know.

I'm paranoid about things breaking, so when I shell out money for a game, I always like to make a safety copy just in case. Had plenty of old Megadrive cartridges cark it back in the day, and it hurts to pay twice for something just because of "dodgy electrics".

Now I already know that these games won't copy onto another card, but does anybody know, if I copy the card contents onto my PC, and then later copy the contents back onto the SAME card, will the game still work? Also as a potential way to reset the games back to "factory defaults", so to speak. Anyone done this?

I'd say that since it's been demonstrated that the serial number in the gp2x can be so easily read and written, the game probably uses the serial number of the sd card, so everything will be fine as long as the game runs from that particular sd card.

I wouldn't want to reformat the card though just in case! (There's always the chance of a bad block appearing)

craigix posted on Dec 21 2006 at 11:51 PM said:
If anything goes wrong along those lines we will sort you out so don't worry.

That's good to know, thanks. But just to clarify, is it possible to (for example) reset the hi-score table in Vektar by copying a file back from my "backup", say?

Actually talking of technical problems, tell you what did happen that peed me off a little bit - the label on Payback wasn't quite stuck to the card properly, so the first time I stuck it in the GP2X it folded back on itself, and when I straightened it out there were two streaky white lines where the folds had been :( Tried to cover them over with marker pen but it still shows. Any chance you could sort me out with a new sticker? ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
craigix posted on Dec 21 2006 at 08:51 PM said:

That is if you are still supporting the GP2X. What if you get involved with "something else" someday and our game goes tits up? Would there be a way to get it working on a different card ?

The MASTER posted on Dec 21 2006 at 09:04 PM said:
craigix posted on Dec 21 2006 at 11:51 PM said:

That's good to know, thanks. But just to clarify, is it possible to (for example) reset the hi-score table in Vektar by copying a file back from my "backup", say?

Actually talking of technical problems, tell you what did happen that peed me off a little bit - the label on Payback wasn't quite stuck to the card properly, so the first time I stuck it in the GP2X it folded back on itself, and when I straightened it out there were two streaky white lines where the folds had been :( Tried to cover them over with marker pen but it still shows. Any chance you could sort me out with a new sticker? ;)

I just cut that part of the sticker off so there is only a sticker on the front not on the edge or back. They should be made that way. There really is no need to have the sticker wrap around.

Last edited by a moderator:
true for SDs, but the old SMC labels did the same thing, so they may just be doing the same thing for SDs. either way it is just a sticker, it dosnt really bother me if my SD's labels are nice, cause i barely ever see them... idk how to fix the crease in the sticker, but try taking a fine tiped pen and try touching it up... that might work (or make it look worse) idk tho, im not an artsy person.....

Back