Questions From A New Person

shawnh

Still Fresh
Hi! Late last night I was brainstorming and searching ebay for a Neo Geo Pocket Color. I found a few pretty cheap and got fairly excited about playing Samurai Showdown, Metal Slug etc. I can't remember where I saw the GP32 for sale, but somehow I found myself looking into the GP32 and I was pretty stunned. I saw the last batch of them are available from ebay.co.uk and considered getting myself one. Then I saw the GP2X and nearly shit in my pants!!!!!

This thing looks like great fun, at a pretty good price too, But I have a few things I would like to ask before I run off and buy myself one. I already have a hefty collection of ROMS.

Is the XGP going to be a threat in any way to the GP2X? I looked into it and the GP2X seems to be the opensource alternative, is that correct? Im a linux and opensource man myself you see. ;)

How well will the MAME emulator run? The MAME games most important to me are:

Street Fighter series
Samurai Showdown series
Narcs
WWE Wrestlefest
Metal Slug series
AvP

Will I be dissapointed with MAME emulation?

I also have megadrive/mastersystem/snes/nes roms, is it certain that emulators will be released for these consoles? How likely is it that they will not appear?

And my last question, have I missed out on the free headphones/case deal????

Thanks!

gp32_console < I WANT!

The XGP probably wont threaten the GP2X, if anything I've seen most people on here think it's more likely to fail entirely. Noone knows for sure how open the XGP will be but even if it's very open, I doubt it'll really hurt the GP2X, if only because the screen of the GP2X seems more suited to emulation (because the 4:3 aspect ratio is better for that than a widescreen lcd).
As for emulators, there's quite a few devs already working, so I'm pretty sure that there will be plenty of good emulators available. I don't know about MAME though, never really looked into using MAME in the first place so couldn't tell you.
I think the free headphones/case deal was only from GBAX for preorders. Since the first preorders have been shipped today, new orders will be just that, orders, so I think you (and I ;)) are too late for that. For preorders it was already said it was as long as stock lasted though...

Is the XGP going to be a threat in any way to the GP2X? I looked into it and the GP2X seems to be the opensource alternative, is that correct? Im a linux and opensource man myself you see. ;)

I think it would be about 2 times more expensive, and therefore they will compete for diffenet market niches.

How well will the MAME emulator run? The MAME games most important to me are:

Street Fighter series
Samurai Showdown series
Narcs
WWE Wrestlefest
Metal Slug series
AvP

There was some (fake or not?) video, GP2X playing Metal Slug.

Last edited by a moderator:
I also have megadrive/mastersystem/snes/nes roms, is it certain that emulators will be released for these consoles? How likely is it that they will not appear?

More likely than not, though nothing is certain as yet. An early SNES emulator has been released for the GP2X and given that the others are emulated on the GP32 I would say almost certainly, but it depends on people doing it.

Now I suggest you hav a look around some of the other threads before the flamers get here. Listen I can hear them coming now....

They aren't as friendly as me and usually jump at the chance of going for someone who has by passes the FAQs. Personally I would suggest if you can't ask the questions without getting flamed they don't really count as "Frequently asked" but there you go.

Happy hunting

;)

EDIT: Spelling

XGP: Only a few people on these boards are really interested in it. Depends how the development opens up for it although there are rumours that it will have an Open SDK for it.

MAME Emu: If those are the only games that you are interested in then yes you may be disappointed. MAME is very bloated becuase it trys to emulate lots of different types of machines in the same program so it is a resource hog. Look at the GP32's port of MAME and you get a rough idea of games that will be supported.

However, NeoGeo CD emulator is supposedly in the works, CPS1 emulation (Final Fight -> Street Fighter II Capcom boards) should be doable, CPS2 is a bit hopeful but it all really depends if someone is willing to give it a shot.

No emulator is certain to be released.

Coupe of things MAME stands for multiple arcade machine, and is designed as a ducumentation project(i.e. slow and boring). The games you've listed there come from common hardware machines, neo-geo/cps1n2 apart from NARC which is a williams z Unit? most of the games should be available in some sorm just don't expect it to be MAME.

BTW NARC?? I never understood why that game was so popular, but its definately one I would say you can't go back to. There were definately better 2.5D beat em ups before that period.

I do also suspect "open mugen" or the like will be better and probably more fun for your fighting fix. Esp in a community like this.

XGP: good for 3D type games. Bad for emulation, has analog stick and widescreen screen aspect. Analog is sloppy for digital schemes used in emulators. Widescreen will cause distortion when stretched or small image when left at 1:1.

So if you want 3D games XGP or better yet PSP.

For emulation of 2D systems GP32 or GP2X.

I think the free headphones/case deal was only from GBAX for preorders. Since the first preorders have been shipped today, new orders will be just that, orders, so I think you (and I ;)) are too late for that. For preorders it was already said it was as long as stock lasted though...

That's brought up a burning question I had...

When did GBAX 'preorders' end, when was the cutoff for the first batch, and when is the second batch shipping?

OK, three questions, but as I only managed to order on the 9th November, I'd like to know when it might ship. I wouldn't start a new thread for this, but I've been waiting for a suitable one to put it in, and this comes close enough.

Thanks for all the advice. That settles it then, I have absolutely no interest in the XGP.

BTW - I did read the FAQ and stickies, the links to emulator and game info from there didn't work.

And about NARC, I just have fond memories of that game from the arcades, infact I find it laughably bad. That list doesn't represent the most important games to me in total, I just wanted to give an idea of the type of games I like so that you could judge performance. Although saying that CPS emulation is really important to me, as is metal slug. Neo Geo CD emulator? Damn, im excited! :)

Thanks for the non-flaming attitude towards me guys! Much appreciated. ;)

I can see tension is mounting as you wait for you deliveries, its understandable. And everywhere on the internet has its troll issues these days....

Nice link in your sig btw The_Consumer :lol:

Back